New 2014 Items to check

JAGonzo

Reaction score
Good morning fellas. I am posting because I just purchased a 14 gt out of a dealership in Florida. I live in Texas. I had them send pics, cold start and idle while on zoom. As much as I could do over the phone.

The car is stock aside from what looks like axle backs. The last time I owned a mustang was in 2002 (95 gt).

All this being said, what should I check upon taking delivery of my new ride? I will do an oil/ filter change. Spark plugs and coils. Run the scan tool i have. Is there anything I should be looking/listening for?

Thanks.

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
yes, then I'd swap the plugs and change the trans fluid

LarryJM

Resident Fuktard
Reaction score
Back brakes tend to freeze because of their design. You would never know it other then you notice your Honda stops better.

SilBult

Reaction score
I have a base model '14 GT manual trans car that I bought new. It has just a bit over 76,000 miles on it now and it's been nearly flawless so far. The only failure so far has been the CD player. It just suddenly quit. I have a factory track key [ you can only get it for manual transmission cars ] and Vorshlag's street pro suspension package and factory Boss 302 wheels that I bought through my local Ford dealer's wholesale dept. Some people have complained about clunking sounds from both the front and rear of the car. The front sounds have usually been attributed to the lower control arms. The rear noise is often the the anti-roll bar mounts. I've never had those problems. You might want to check and see if the air bags have been replaced, there is a recall on them.

LarryJM

Resident Fuktard
Reaction score
Track Key is no longer available but a work around is. Ford sells a tune that when you start the car up, it goes into race mode after warm-up. You must press OK to cancel it. The Ghost Cam sound is simply the cam phasers going full open with lots of overlap and extra gas going into the motor. People say it hard on the cats.

It's said that the actual Red Track Key did not work on every 2014 produced so Ford cancelled it.

JAGonzo

Reaction score
Thank you guys for the replies. I will go over it when it arrives. As a new owner I am sure I will be on this board for the foreseeable future.

Pentalab

forum member
Reaction score
Coolant, brake and rear diff fluid change wouldn't be a bad idea.
Check the brake pads on all 4 x corners. Also check the E brake..and also that the AC functions, dampers work etc. Check all lights/lo+ hi beam, marker lights, brake lights etc. You might want to use 100% synthetic ATF in the 6 speed auto tranny..if it's doable. That's a long way to drive it back home.

JAGonzo

Reaction score
I am having it delivered precisely because that's a long way to drive back home.

Joseph

Reaction score
Ford Mercon LV is what the transmission was engineered and made to take. The dealership should replace it if they can't price its been replaced within the last 60k miles or so.

Reaction score
Ford Mercon LV is what the transmission was engineered and made to take. The dealership should replace it if they can't price its been replaced within the last 60k miles or so.

Yes and it is a full synthetic oil too.

Mercon LV—the latest Ford ATF, it is factory fill in 2008 and later Fords. The LV stands for "low viscosity." It is a fully synthetic ATF. It is not compatible with earlier Mercon fluids, so it should neither be mixed with Mercon or Mercon V used to replace those fluids.
https://www.cartechbooks.com/blogs/techtips/autotransfluid

Pentalab

forum member
Reaction score
Check tire pressures..and also the spare, if it comes with one..and all tools for changing out a flat. Plus that Ford plastic thingy, so you can fill the gas tank from a gas container. The 2010+ cars come with a capless gas tank setup, and also they are anti siphoning... hence the plastic adaptor.

OX1

forum member
Reaction score
Some people have complained about clunking sounds from both the front and rear of the car. The front sounds have usually been attributed to the lower control arms. The rear noise is often the the anti-roll bar mounts. I've never had those problems. You might want to check and see if the air bags have been replaced, there is a recall on them.

I posted a couple pics about this in the past, but being a fl car you might want to check it out.
I made a new thread on it here.

https://www.s197forum.com/threads/lower-control-arm-heat-shield-install.139203/

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back