new 5.0 going flat at full thottle

STEVE_POE

coyote powered fr500s
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
ok guys this is the problem and combo. It's a 5.0 with a ford racing controls pack.

driveablity issue, Car runs and drives fine as long as no full throttle. At full throttle "any gear" when the car reaches 2700 it falls flat and will barley accelerate. Back out of full throttle and car responds fine as long as no full throttle is applied . It feels like a "limp mode" no codes. it's giving me nothing. car is not missing or anything just feels like someone is pulling the throttle back as my foot is still on the floor .

CRAZY PART : put the car on 4 jackstands and it runs fine. nothing, it acts and runs perfect.even under full throttle

So I'm guessing it's a load based limp mode. crazy thing is no codes.

I've replaced the computer, and the gas pedal. still does it .

Thoughts ?

Last edited:

Jim Vaccaro

forum member
Reaction score
Could that be Advance track ???? Did you try Advance Track Off or Sport Mode?

iRoush

Roush God
Reaction score
That's very weird. I'm curious, have you tried with TCS on and off? Any difference?

Haha, Glad to see I wasn't the only one. ^^^

STEVE_POE

coyote powered fr500s
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I've spoken with ford racing and that is not even loaded in the controls pack ecu. They are at a loss as well on what it could be.

It's a ford racing controls pack it bascially allows the 5.0 to run in anything. It's program is very basic just what is needed to make the engine run. I put this 5.0 in a 05/09 gt

I even went so far as to un plug a few injectors so I could make it throw a code just to make sure it was capable and it did . cleared it and same problem

iRoush

Roush God
Reaction score
They are positive no TCS at all? I ask because these are the same symptoms when I was on the dyno. Full throttle the car would just not want to move. Turned off the TCS and it screamed! lol. Other than that, I have no clue. It's clearly an electronic problem.

I just had a thought. It's hard to explain, but I'll try.

I know on some cars, when you press the throttle to the floor, there is like a clicking feeling. Do the new 5.0's have that? Cause I know my 07 doesn't. Maybe it could be due to that. Then again, I could be completely wrong. If someone knows what I am talking about, please chime in. Thanks.

46foxcoupe

forum member
Reaction score
sounds like fuel delivery to me. might explain why it only does this under a load. do you have a fuel pressure gauge you can monitor while driving?

STEVE_POE

coyote powered fr500s
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
sounds like fuel delivery to me. might explain why it only does this under a load. do you have a fuel pressure gauge you can monitor while driving?

I've ruled out fuel. I've got a regulator under the hood and it holds true. plus the car doen't buck or miss like a car running out of gas.

It acts like someone is under the hood and just pulls back the throttle while your in the car with you foot on the floor. car is still smooth and sounds fine when it does this problem

STEVE_POE

coyote powered fr500s
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Torque management closing the throttle body? Are you able to datalog it?

This is exactly what I'm thinking the problem is . the problem is that the datalogging that I can see shows nothing to make me think I've found a problem.

questions is though shouldn't that put a code out when it does it ?

Last edited:

Full_Tilt

forum member
Reaction score
Could be knock retard if it was bad enough. Any way youve got some bad gas?

46foxcoupe

forum member
Reaction score
is the tune still the standard FRPP strategy that comes with the control pack? I had a 3v with the FRPP control pack and it did some funky stuff before I put a custom tune in it. The control pack should be void of all torque management/advancetrac stuff, so this shouldn't be an issue. Stock 5.0 cai or aftermarket?

Konablue10Gt

forum member
Reaction score
This is exactly what I'm thinking the problem is . the problem is that the datalogging that I can see shows nothing to make me think I've found a problem.

questions is though shouldn't that put a code out when it does it ?

No it wont pull a code. If the car is making more torque than the program allows it will close the throttle body. If you data log actual ETC while it is doing it I imagine that it will be very obvious.

If you need any help with the logs just pm them over to me.

Are you using Live link or a Ford IDS to log it?

STEVE_POE

coyote powered fr500s
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
No it wont pull a code. If the car is making more torque than the program allows it will close the throttle body. If you data log actual ETC while it is doing it I imagine that it will be very obvious.

If you need any help with the logs just pm them over to me.

Are you using Live link or a Ford IDS to log it?

Live link.I can see the etc closing so I guess I should rephrase my problem

Car is going into Torque Mananagment. it is not throwing any code and what data I can see shows me nothing as to why the etc is closing.

car is totally stock except for a off road pipe, frpp mufflers , it has a aftermarket clutch and tr6060 trans and a ps pump on it in place of the ac system.

Last edited:

RSKtakR

Reaction score
if it was the torque management killing your rpm's wouldnt the traction control light flash at the sametime it acts up?? i know ANYTIME i get into and the tires break loose (w/ the tcs on or just halfway turned off and NOT all the way turned off) the tcs light flashed in the guage cluster. when the TCS is TOTALLY turned off, i get no flashing whatsoever.

Trbosvt

Reaction score
couple of qurestions:

did you wire it so the factory Harness works with the 2011 harness? if so did you hook up the OSS on the trans? if so disconnect it and test again. I did the exact thing and i connected the low and high speed can bus to the factory wiring so that all the gauges worked but the Stock 05-10 trans OSS sensor see a different number of pick-ups so therefore the speed was off. i disconnected it and it went WOT fine, so i went into the SCT file and changed the System switches>number of holes for OSS sensor to 12 and everything worked. I double checked and the tr6060 is also 12 holes so it should work. i did the exact same swap to a customers car out here in cali. His name is steve burkette and races at willow springs quite often. I also put the power steering on the passenger side in the spot for the factory A/C. car has a JLT cold air. stainless works headers and borla 3" exzhaust. it made 435 RWHP.

Last edited:

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back