New 900 hp electric mustang.

tjm73

of Omicron Persei 8
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Wind is clean. For sure. That's true. However it's not all puppy dogs and ice cream. Recently read an article about significant issues with disposal and recycling of the towers and specifically the blades. They can't currently do anything with the blades except cut them up and bury them. They're pretty big. Not many places will take them. Can be addressed by smarter design I'm sure.

07 Boss

Reaction score
If it's a stretch of road it's the Autobahn, Nürburgring is a track.... ;)

Yes and no. It is a 13 mile race track that the public can drive on like a toll road unless they are having track sessions. The Ring is it's nickname but it is one of the most famous stretches of road anywhere if your any kind of car enthusiast. I've been on it with my family in an Audi 5000 Turbo back in 1980. It is the track used to benchmark any performance cars. I'm surprised you never heard of it. They're always bragging about their lap times at the Ring.

Pentalab

forum member
Reaction score
Buddy of mine in California e mails me a month ago. He has a hobby farm... he visits on weekends.
His 15 yr old solar panels crapped out one by one. His myriad of batteries no longer holds a charge. $75K to replace the entire mess.... not including labor + costs to remove old panels..and then truck to recyclers. Ditto with batteries. Doesn't include costs to deliver + install new batteries + panels. Even more $$ to replace 15 yr old, old style inverters + regulators.

He went to.....plan B, and bought a 20 kw onan gen set....run on propane. 2 x 5' tall, skinny propane bottles used. Auto switches when 1st tank runs empty.

Pentalab

forum member
Reaction score
Wind is clean. For sure. That's true. However it's not all puppy dogs and ice cream. Recently read an article about significant issues with disposal and recycling of the towers and specifically the blades. They can't currently do anything with the blades except cut them up and bury them. They're pretty big. Not many places will take them. Can be addressed by smarter design I'm sure.

The big monopole towers that hold up the new style, 57m (187') long blades, weigh 190 tons, and require 295 tons of coking coal in the smelter. The longer blades only last so long. If the wind blows too hard, the blade pitch is feathered. If that doesn't do it, friction brakes are used.
A 187' long blade will flex quite a bit. Flex too much, and tips will contact the tube. New offshore blades will be >350'. Good luck when a hurricane comes along.

Pentalab

forum member
Reaction score
Hydrogen would have been great as a fuel but it takes a lot of energy to split the water molecule into hydrogen and oxygen, is expensive to store, and is potentially explosive. The energy to manufacture hydrogen also comes largely from fossil fuels so there's still a carbon footprint.
It does have potential for the future if it can be manufactured at low cost using renewable energy.

It takes a stupid amount of electrical power..run through water...to make hydrogen gas... and more energy still....to compress it. We had a few hydrogen city buses. Initial cost was quadruple a diesel bus. Extremely high maintenance..and operating costs. All the compressed hydrogen was shipped via
rail car. From Quebec..to BC. After 6 years, they were all cut up for scrap. Nice try though.

tjm73

of Omicron Persei 8
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Look at the shiny new clean way of doing things....pay no attention to the dirty life cycle to produce/decommission it.

JJ427R

Reaction score
Yes and no. It is a 13 mile race track that the public can drive on like a toll road unless they are having track sessions. The Ring is it's nickname but it is one of the most famous stretches of road anywhere if your any kind of car enthusiast. I've been on it with my family in an Audi 5000 Turbo back in 1980. It is the track used to benchmark any performance cars. I'm surprised you never heard of it. They're always bragging about their lap times at the Ring.
I'm very familiar with it, and yes the original config is on roads, and yes you can drive on it for a fee, 1984 was when the Grand Prix track was built and it is now technically considered a motorsports complex, thus I called it a track.

Last edited:

07 Boss

Reaction score
I'm very familiar with it, and yes the original config is on roads, and yes you can drive on it for a fee, 1984 was when the Grand Prix track was built and it is now technically considered a motorsports complex, thus I called it a track.

Not familiar enough if you think the Ring is something other than the Nurburgring track. Point being they are one and the same. The actual configuration of the track has changed multiple times since the 1920's but but it has always been the Ring. The motorsports complex was built around the old start/finish line but the majority of the track is public roads.

JJ427R

Reaction score
Not familiar enough if you think the Ring is something other than the Nurburgring track. Point being they are one and the same. The actual configuration of the track has changed multiple times since the 1920's but but it has always been the Ring. The motorsports complex was built around the old start/finish line but the majority of the track is public roads.
Description from Wikipedia: The Nürburgring is a 150,000 person capacity motorsports complex located in the town of Nürburg, Rhineland-Palatinate, Germany.

07 Boss

Reaction score
Description from Wikipedia: The Nürburgring is a 150,000 person capacity motorsports complex located in the town of Nürburg, Rhineland-Palatinate, Germany.

Let me try and clarify this for your. The Ring refers to the NurbrurgRING race track/complex, whatever you want to call it. It is not a stretch of road or autobahn. Many public roads used to make up parts of the 3 tracks which make up the Nurburgring motorsports complex. When people refer to the driving on the Ring they are referring to the Nurburgring track/complex. They are the same thing. I'm not sure why you think the Ring and the Nurbergring motorsports complex are two different things.

JJ427R

Reaction score
Let me try and clarify this for your. The Ring refers to the NurbrurgRING race track/complex, whatever you want to call it. It is not a stretch of road or autobahn. Many public roads used to make up parts of the 3 tracks which make up the Nurburgring motorsports complex. When people refer to the driving on the Ring they are referring to the Nurburgring track/complex. They are the same thing. I'm not sure why you think the Ring and the Nurbergring motorsports complex are two different things.
You are the one misunderstanding this. I called the Nurburgring a track and then stated it is officially a motorsports complex, which is what it is called on Wikipedia. You are the one who stated
Yes and no. It is a 13 mile race track that the public can drive on like a toll road unless they are having track sessions.

I called the Autobahn a road. I never said anywhere the ring was two different things.

Stevejr

Reaction score
Thats funny. People think solar is clean and affordable. Solar is only affordable when theres a government subsidy to pay for it and its a nuisance to any transmission system because of how intermittent it is. Boom theres a source of power on the grid cut off a gas plant, wait. Its gone.

tjm73

of Omicron Persei 8
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Oil is also subsidized (possibly indirectly) from what I recall.

07 Boss

Reaction score
The Tesla is a fast car, if not a bit pretentious and soulless. that said I believe that Tesla that was originally on YT beating every car in the 1/4 mile was highly modified...as was the Tesla that just set a record around the Gring or Ring or whatever that German stretch of road is called that everyone wets their pants over. Anyway, the manual electric Mustang is fine by me but I’m never giving up my ’08 Bullitt. I’m not racing so to me the numbers regardless of how impressive take a back seat to driver experience.

It's called the Nurburgring. ;)

If it's a stretch of road it's the Autobahn, Nürburgring is a track.... ;)

I called the Autobahn a road. I never said anywhere the ring was two different things.

My Bad Bro. I read these and read it wrong. I got 2+2=5. My apologies. If you take the "If" out of your sentence it looks like you were calling the Ring a road or autobahn. If is a big important word that I missed. I'm sorry :beer:, I'm a tool.

tjm73

of Omicron Persei 8
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
We're all tools at some point or another. LOL!!

Stevejr

Reaction score
There are tax breaks for oil companies which save the company/consumer money. That said build solar is a write off and your required to buy energy from them. You are penalized for using coal and it still cheaper than solar or wind.
Besides that whats wrong with some carbon in the atmosphere. Trees and plants love it. Believe or not they turn it into oxygen which we must have to survive.
As far as the weather goes. They cant beside what its going to do Sunday within a deg. How in the heck could they tell a coal plant will make the temperature go up a .1 of a degree in 20 years? The same people that are saying it will go up are the same people that said Florida would be under water by now. In the 70s we were going to freeze to death. In the 90s we were going to burn up or drown. And now they do know whats it gonna do but its gotta be bad. But if you will give the left more control theyll take care of you.
Which coal plant or suv caused the great flood? Please folks wake up. They cant control the weather by taking your freedom. But the can control you.
Have a great day.

tjm73

of Omicron Persei 8
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Besides that whats wrong with some carbon in the atmosphere. Trees and plants love it. Believe or not they turn it into oxygen which we must have to survive.

You need to investigate the difference between carbon DIoxide and carbon MONoxide. Plants use one. Not the other. Cars emit one. Not the other. Learn which is which and which uses which.

The people that predict the temperature in a couple days are not the same people that are predicting long term effects. I'm not saying I disagree with some of what you argue. But not attempting to understand what we are doing and using that to predict what it might mean in future decades would be foolish. However I don't place a ton of weight on the long term accuracy. Things change that computer modeling doesn't predict or even know exists.

I think Man over estimates his importance on the effect of weather. I think we impact weather and it's patterns. I'm not sold on how much.

Pentalab

forum member
Reaction score
You need to investigate the difference between carbon DIoxide and carbon MONoxide. Plants use one. Not the other. Cars emit one. Not the other. Learn which is which and which uses which.

The people that predict the temperature in a couple days are not the same people that are predicting long term effects. I'm not saying I disagree with some of what you argue. But not attempting to understand what we are doing and using that to predict what it might mean in future decades would be foolish. However I don't place a ton of weight on the long term accuracy. Things change that computer modeling doesn't predict or even know exists.

I think Man over estimates his importance on the effect of weather. I think we impact weather and it's patterns. I'm not sold on how much.

Catalytic converters...convert carbon monoxide to carbon dioxide + water.

JJ427R

Reaction score
Many people believe in the whole global warming theory, and most don't even know it was all started by a Time magazine cover. I don't believe in it for one minute, The last couple winters here in MN have been the coldest on record so believe me it's not getting any warmer here.
The fact people believe the human race is somehow more powerful than mother nature blows me away. Everything on this earth comes from the earth, just as everything goes back to the earth. There is oil flowing out of the bottom of the oceans naturally and there are natural enzymes and such that take care of it without any human intervention.
We had the dust bowl years from 1932-1939, which was partially created by man with poor farming practices and overgrazing, but there was also a drought and no rain in that area for many years. I don't believe anything we did as humans at that time caused no rain to fall in those areas for several years.
I'm not saying we as humans aren't affecting things, but I'd be looking more into the pollution issues such as dumping waste into our oceans, rather than worrying about our climate.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back