New house, new renovation project :)

Gabe

Whippled Coyote
Reaction score
New house, just closed on it today at Noon.
3-bedroom split-entry/raised ranch, with a 2-Mustang garage all ready to house mine and my girlfriend's ponies :)

Needs a full renovation inside, and some outside love as well, but it's what we were looking for, looking for something that we can make ours.

Some "before" pictures:

A 1.2-acre winter wonderland:

2014-11-26_snow6_zps0535b9a1.jpg

The kitchen - "before" :

2014-12-01_Henry09_zps5c37ed74.jpg

2014-12-01_Henry07_zps08e3479e.jpg

The front, which will soon get all new windows, new columns and a new entryway:

2014-12-01_Henry01_zps7b31e9ef.jpg

The nicest room in the joint, an addition off the kitchen with a small deck outside. This will be the dining room:

08_zps43602839.jpg

1972 electrical panel, soon to be replaced with a modern unit:

2014-11-24_elec-panel1_zps8264dc2e.jpg

The living room window. Soon to be replaced with a new, modern, bow window:

2014-11-24_LR-2_zps732e9607.jpg

A/C wall in the living room. Plans for this wall definitely include getting rid of that A/C, filling in the hole, replacing the windows with modern units, and probably windows that don't go down as far, removing the heating baseboard, and adding a gas fireplace with a large TV above, possibly wall-mounted:

2014-11-24_LR-3_zps6e96bb29.jpg

The walkway, as it used to be, lined with large, flat, slippery stones.
Most of the stones have been removed as of this afternoon (didn't take an "after" pic), and will soon become a proper paved stepped walkway:

24_zpsdc007837.jpg

The upstairs bathroom. This room will get 100% updated, and the washer/drier will be relocated here from downstairs. Nothing currently visible here will survive:

17_zps9fd6a522.jpg

The small rear deck. Plans are to eventually enlarge this to somethinng about 3 times the current size:

21_zps9e3b5bfc.jpg

Living room tile, where an old stove used to sit.
This tile was brittle, loose, easily lifted with a screwdriver.
Soon to be replaced with hardwood or bamboo, throughout the house:

2014-11-24_LR-1_zpsab7cbb22.jpg

Gabe

Whippled Coyote
Reaction score
And the work has already started, less than 2 hours after I signed off on it :)

Today, I already removed most of the 42-year-old tile from the living room floor, where a small stove used to sit:

2014-12-12_LR_tile_zps8ed17bd8.jpg

Also went ahead and removed all the green switch/outlet plates and the door-bell housing from throughout the house. They definitely loved green, lol

2014-12-12_green-covers_zpsdf5f5ace.jpg

And a last pic today, as she sits as we were pulling away, with a new X-Mas wreath on the door, new door locks, and a small X-Mas tree in the living room window:

2014-12-12_wreath_zpsee8bdf24.jpg

Gabe

Whippled Coyote
Reaction score
Hell yeah, congrats. You moving in right away or doing renovations first?

Thanks!

Reno first, then moving in and selling the GF's townhouse.

Then, on to the next reno project or a rental property, still deciding that one ...

Hotrodder

forum member
Reaction score
Cool. Congrats man. Looks like it's wired for a generator already so that's good.

Gabe

Whippled Coyote
Reaction score
Thanks guys, and yeah she's already wired for a generator, just need to get one.
Planning on a propane-powered unit, probably 8k-10k watt unit

i am ryan

forum member
Reaction score
Subbed for this. While it's an ugly duckling now, it seems to have a nice layout and will be a good candidate for a renovation. I would definitely take a look at the Houzz app/website for ideas and sourcing unique materials.

Taxman

One foot out the door
Reaction score
Can't wait to see what you do with it. Just my two cents, but leave that awesome old window man. That's character.

Gabe

Whippled Coyote
Reaction score
Thanks guys, my gf and I are both already using houzz for ideas :)

As far as that window, it might have character but it's ugly, I'd have to at least paint it, and that wouldn't solve the issue that it's not sealing for shit. Every window in the place is so freakin drafty, they're all getting replaced.
Just looked at the new windows in the addition/dining room, and I can stick my fingers behind the trim, I'm thinking they're all in need of better insulation ...

JimC

Reaction score
Congratulations. A whole house generator was one of the best remodeling things we did on our house. Three of us in the subdivision have them and when the power goes out you can easily spot our houses because we just keep going.

Gabe

Whippled Coyote
Reaction score
Congratulations. A whole house generator was one of the best remodeling things we did on our house. Three of us in the subdivision have them and when the power goes out you can easily spot our houses because we just keep going.

Thanks Jim, ... yeah, a generator is definitely on the must-have list.

Today I ordered new light sconces for the front entrance, and a new ceiling-mount light unit for the hallway.

Also brought some more tools in there, and took a hammer to a couple of doors from a kitchen cabinet

Gabe

Whippled Coyote
Reaction score
Snagged a pic of how the walk-up walkway looks like right now, after I removed a bunch of the flat slick stones that used to be there.
I tried to flatten out the dirt, will get back to it later today or tomorrow, but for now, it's already much safer to walk on it, especially after some snow or ice has accumulated.

2014-12-13_walkway_zps103aef53.jpg

Going to Harbor Freight soon for some deals ... new shop light and a set of hole-saws.
I need a 2 1/8" hole saw for the front door, since the new deadbolt needs a larger hole than what's currently in the door.
The door will eventually get replaced but for now we want better security on what's there

Mystickeith50

forum member
Reaction score
Gabe what are your mechanicals like....ie air conditioning, heat, etc. Also if you were going to buy another generator I would step up to a 16kw at least. When you start having to be out of power for more than 24hrs it's nice to be able to run more than a room or two.

TenSpeed

Boss 227..every damn time
Reaction score
Congrats!!! Looking forward to watching this all unfold as you get it done.

Is that carpet in the bathroom?

Gabe

Whippled Coyote
Reaction score
Gabe what are your mechanicals like....ie air conditioning, heat, etc. Also if you were going to buy another generator I would step up to a 16kw at least. When you start having to be out of power for more than 24hrs it's nice to be able to run more than a room or two.

Furnace is probably original, A/C is provided by a couple wall units that look at least 10 yrs old.

We've talked about putting in central air at some point, and will get a new furnace within the next couple years.

I was looking at generators of about 10kw ... you think at least 16kw?

Today I didn't do much to the house ... girlfriend's sister and the sister's husband (who's a contractor) came down and checked out the house, gave us some cool ideas of what to do with the property, especially outside ...

I put new light bulbs in the front-door light sconces so now there's light on the front of the house overnight, and got new batteries in the garage-openers remotes, so now the remotes work and we can enter into the house via the garage.

Also bought a couple floor lights from Harbor Freight for $10 each, an awesome 2300-lumen dual-LED motion-sensor light for above the garage doors, several paint samples, and a couple other small things, along with a multi-pack of painter's tape and some new brushes

Tomorrow I hope to get the garage light installed and a few other things done, but I'm probably gonna be starting the day by having new tires put on the Tundra, and maybe new front & rear shocks, which would kill half the day ... we'll see ...

Last edited:

cop on my back

forum member
Reaction score
Look forward to following this. I am just finishing off on a massive renovation on a house I bought, same year, 1972. Prices of houses where I live is crazy.

Gabe

Whippled Coyote
Reaction score
Today I only spent a couple hours at the house, this morning, since I had a couple of appointments elsewhere to attend to.

I got new mini-blinds installed in the garage to give the Mustangs some privacy:

2014-12-15_garage-blinds_zps41ccdef9.jpg

I installed a new door lock/handle set on the garage door (the door will soon be replaced with a new more secure door and the handle/lock set will be transferred)

Also snagged a pic of the awesome new motion-sensor light unit that's gonna get installed above the garage doors.
2300 lumens of light power, equivalent of 185-watt bulbs :D

garage-light_zpsa6f23b8e.jpg

Made an appointment to have the water radon mitigation set-up installed, next Monday.

Slowly but surely it's coming along. I can't wait to clean up the front lawn and get rid of all those hairy plants out there ...

2014-12-15_Henry_zps1beea17c.jpg

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back