New Member - Baton Rouge

GotVic

Reaction score
Having had a bunch of foxbodies and an sn95, not new to Mustangs, but I am new to the S197.

As I currently drive a 2016 Fiesta ST, I'm a speculative S197 owner. With the exception of a few driver's schools and track days, I've effectively been out of the car thing for about 10 years now.

I purchased the FiST new as I was wanting 1) a car that was cheap to own and operate and preferably with a warranty so I didn't have to wrench, 2) I wanted a driver's car - this got Motor Trend's Top 10, and 3) it needed to be able to haul stuff around like my 211 pound Mastiff. The car has served it's purpose very well and I could easily make several posts doing nothing but giving the FiST praise. I'm typically pretty anti-FWD, but this thing rotates on track like a RWD car. I don't know what magic fairy dust Ford sprinkled on these things, but they really are amazing.

However, I now find myself at a crossroad, and I can either go down the rabbit hole with the FiST - hybrid turbo and supporting mods, coilovers, etc. - or I can switch back to a rwd platform with more ultimate potential. An S197 with bolt-ons would start roughly where the FiST would end as far as mods go.

In autocross, comparing one of my old ESP prepped foxes or my FS sn95 to a bone stock FS 3V S197 I drove once... There's really no comparison. The S197 is lightyears ahead of the earlier platforms. I also did the Ford Racing School in one of the track-prepped S550s, and while the car was great on the track, they're just too big and heavy for my tastes.

First and foremost, I'd want to build the car as a fun to drive daily driver. Second, I'd want the car to be competent for the occasional track day. I want to stay NA and not really interested in a radical track day car that would be occasionally driven on the street.

I'm still up in the air as to starting with a V6 or a 3V and swapping in a modded Coyote, or just starting off with a later Coyote car and going from there. I'm kind of leaning toward the swap as I think in the end I'd have a better car for less money.

Which forum would be the best place to start a "speculative build" post? I've a lot of learning to do...

06 T-RED S/C GT

forum member
Reaction score
IMHO, it would cost more money to do the V6/3V swap over to the Coyote. Unless your able to find one from a salvaged/donor car? you're probably looking in the neighborhood of $9,500 for a Coyote crate engine from Ford performance parts M-6007-M50C. Therefore in the long run, you more than likely would be better off by just finding a used 13-14 Coyote 5.0 in decent condition and go from there. Meanwhile, welcome to S197 forums.

GotVic

Reaction score
IMHO, it would cost more money to do the V6/3V swap over to the Coyote. Unless your able to find one from a salvaged/donor car? you're probably looking in the neighborhood of $9,500 for a Coyote crate engine from Ford performance parts M-6007-M50C. Therefore in the long run, you more than likely would be better off by just finding a used 13-14 Coyote 5.0 in decent condition and go from there. Meanwhile, welcome to S197 forums.

Yeah, a later car with Coyote might be preferred, even if it does cost more in the long run just because I'd have a little faster car to drive around in the meantime and it saves on effort.

But I'm wanting a built motor, so even if I started with a Coyote I'd want to rebuild the motor with all forged internals and do some headwork and maybe cams. I wouldn't buy a Ford crate motor unless it was an Aluminator (which isn't in the budget), more likely would start with a high mile gen1 motor and build it up.

I'm watching this thread closely as he's doing pretty much what I'm wanting, but I'm wanting more of a daily driver whereas his looks to be a little more track focused.
https://www.s197forum.com/threads/m...swap-06-gt-500-to-the-wheels-for-5000.138214/

06 T-RED S/C GT

forum member
Reaction score
If your intention is to find a motor to build yourself? then I really don't think you can go wrong with either a high-mile Coyote 5.0 or 4.6L 3 valve. The 4.6L 3 valves IMO have a very solid foundation and have proven to be very reliable, time and time again. The only downfall, is they should've been built from the factory with all forged internals. Other than that, the 4.6L 3 valves are one of the most reliable and dependable engines that Ford has ever built, at least IMHO anyhow.

GotVic

Reaction score
If your intention is to find a motor to build yourself? then I really don't think you can go wrong with either a high-mile Coyote 5.0 or 4.6L 3 valve. The 4.6L 3 valves IMO have a very solid foundation and have proven to be very reliable, time and time again. The only downfall, is they should've been built from the factory with all forged internals. Other than that, the 4.6L 3 valves are one of the most reliable and dependable engines that Ford has ever built, at least IMHO anyhow.

I've done a bunch of motors from the short block up, but never done the short block itself. The bearings intimidate me, getting everything sized right. I'd probably have the short block built and then put the rest together myself. What I'd really want is to be where the gen 3s are with full bolt-ons, 500-ish hp. But that doesn't fix the rotating assembly, as I know a number of Boss owners have grenaded their motors doing HPDEs, which is why I mentioned the forged stuff. I want to stay NA too, no extra weight on the nose, heat soak, cooling issues...

I think you're right though, a 3V would likely satisfy me for quite a while. I've not driven a S197 with suspension work, but I really think the platform would suit me very well. This video and the first two above, if you hear how thrilled they are at the capabilities of the chassis. This is what I'm chasing.

Need to find me a clean Vista Blue 3V GT with manual tranny...

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back