New Motor Install, Only One Side Firing??

danbogart

Reaction score
Title plus on top of that the side that is firing is getting very little exhaust?

Any Ideas.

I have a shop installing but was just curious for my own piece of mind.

Thanks Fellers.

RRRoamer

Reaction score
I think they are saying the cam was installed (either phaser->cam or cam->timing chain) 180 degrees out of phase.

tmcolegr

It's All About the Build
Reaction score
yes but here's the problem - The engine assembly illustration shows the engine viewed from the front, but the banks are designated when viewed from the rear.

Check out step 36 and you'll see what I mean

Last edited:

one eyed willy

Pizzle fo shizzle
Reaction score
how can they get these things out of time? when i was building mine i was so worried i would screw it up after reading all the threads on people who got them out of time.

i must have double checked myself 25 times thinking "i cant believe its that easy?"

good luck,i hope they find it easily.

rojizostang

i love my cams
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
isn't it just that the rh side equals the passenger side, and the lh side equals the driver side? so looking at the picture would be the same at looking from the front of the motor...the sprocket on the left is the passenger or right hand side and the one on the right would be the left or driver's side...i think?

ArtQ

forum member
Reaction score
If the timing marks are aligned during assembly, how can a cam be 180* out?

danbogart

Reaction score
Not sure. I will be by the shop tomorrow. Talked to the shop and they said it is possibly an issue with one of the cam phasers. BTW, I'm running full cam lockouts as well. Possibly an issue there?

tmcolegr

It's All About the Build
Reaction score
isn't it just that the rh side equals the passenger side, and the lh side equals the driver side? so looking at the picture would be the same at looking from the front of the motor...the sprocket on the left is the passenger or right hand side and the one on the right would be the left or driver's side...i think?

Yes you are correct. Unfortunately the picture in the attachment I posted shows the cams pictured from the front of the engine - not the rear. If one is not careful, people become confused and time the LH cam at 11 o'clock and the RH cam at 12 o'clock. Additionally as previously stated the phasers have more than one mark on each gear.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back