New power adder for GI Joe...What do yoou think?

GI Joe

Reaction score
This should be good!
I'm either going 76mm turbo or 2.8 KB with Adams setup and have an "ADAM" setup tearing up the roads on the East coast.
Any thoughts on which one. I want to run high 9's
btw...I have lots of parts for sale including a proven 10.75 ET set up that runs 10's all day long on drag radials..........see my post here
http://www.s197forum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2958

anyway I'm struggling over which way to go..

Last edited:

ChevyKiller

Preferred Internet Drink
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
You'll get there with either one. You know where I stand on which way to go (cough...KB...cough..cough) and if you do go turbo, my suggestion would be to look at a custom garret head unit and not go for any 'kit' head units. In fact, if you want it to be 'the shit' go with a complete custom kit. You can tak to David Beyer (169stang) for some ideas as a start.

Garrett is the Ferrari of turbos...period.

RedFury

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I'd go with a pair of turbos for a drag only car shooting for best ET. I've spent a lot of time watching NMRATV.com and that seems to be the combination that those guys have converged on.

Hawgman

THE fucking bad guy
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Either way you decide, I am sure it will be a beast!

GI Joe

Reaction score
I've never owned a turbo in all my years of building stangs...although my wife had a turbo beetle..LOL...but that some biscuit eater would run....LOL

67 or 76 turbo?????

ChevyKiller

Preferred Internet Drink
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't even consider a 67mm for where you want to go. (unless TWIN 67mm) You know where I stand. Twins is the way to go for turbo but if you're stuck on a single, I'd actually go BIGGER than a 76mm too.

ChevyKiller

Preferred Internet Drink
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Adam's 2.8H car is not even maxed out yet and turning 9.70's right now. In fact, he's also only spinning the car to 6 grand and running some pretty conservative timing. The KB 2.8H kit is good for 9.40's all on it's own. Not to mention that you could probably see an 8:shock: with it with some juice.

Slofoot

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Go ahead and put a 25.2 cage in it, get a large frame 88mm turbo and skip the 9's and go straight to the 8's. Call Bridge racing (www.Bridgeracing.com) for engine help and go in the 7's with a 284 C.I. engine.

Seriously if you are going to keep it on the street the KB will be nice. The KB is just that though, a street blower. High nines are all you will ever get out of that combo. With a turbo just get a bigger turbo and you can go as fast as your budget will allow, If you want to build a race car you have two choices turbo or bad ass centri blower like a YS or X trim vortech or a F1r or F2 procharger. Either way go ahead and plan to lose your passenger seat for a dashmount air to water intercooler.

GI Joe

Reaction score
Go ahead and put a 25.2 cage in it, get a large frame 88mm turbo and skip the 9's and go straight to the 8's. Call Bridge racing (www.Bridgeracing.com) for engine help and go in the 7's with a 284 C.I. engine.

Seriously if you are going to keep it on the street the KB will be nice. The KB is just that though, a street blower. High nines are all you will ever get out of that combo. With a turbo just get a bigger turbo and you can go as fast as your budget will allow, If you want to build a race car you have two choices turbo or bad ass centri blower like a YS or X trim vortech or a F1r or F2 procharger. Either way go ahead and plan to lose your passenger seat for a dashmount air to water intercooler.
hehehe.I love your optimism...But if I can get the car in the 9's thats where I want to leave it.

GI Joe

Reaction score

O/T...you got lucky on that tranny you got. They are talking spring next year now....on the new shifter too

RedFury

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Going smaller (e.g., 67) will allow each to spool up faster, reducing turbo lag. Having two of them makes up for the fact that they are each smaller than a single 76, so you'll still get big boost. It's sort of an optimum arrangement, for the street anyhow. For drag only, A SINGLE OR PAIR OF BIG ONES!

Sounds strange coming from a Whipple guy??!! If it weren't for the smog issues here in CA, I may have gone the turbo route. While the PD blower is a blast on the street, the turbo guys are the ones making scary (4-digit) power.

I've never owned a turbo in all my years of building stangs...although my wife had a turbo beetle..LOL...but that some biscuit eater would run....LOL

67 or 76 turbo?????

Last edited:

Slofoot

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
O/T...you got lucky on that tranny you got. They are talking spring next year now....on the new shifter too

O/T Yeah I know... I'm a little disappointed. Here I am talking it up and no one else can get one. That shifter looks killer though. Too bad you can't manually shift these trannys with any kind of results.

retfr8flyr

The Old One
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Joe I would either go with Adams setup or twin turbo’s. Like Mark says a big single just doesn’t work that well for a street driven setup because you start running into inlet temp problems. Talk to Jim Napier at THP before you decide as he will be able to answer all your questions about the TT setup. I think a TT setup is more fun to play with as well as being different. Just my $.02.

Earl

GI Joe

Reaction score
Joe I would either go with Adams setup or twin turbo’s. Like Mark says a big single just doesn’t work that well for a street driven setup because you start running into inlet temp problems. Talk to Jim Napier at THP before you decide as he will be able to answer all your questions about the TT setup. I think a TT setup is more fun to play with as well as being different. Just my $.02.

Earl
I have not seen a twin set up yet with out a long wait...anyone know?

GI Joe

Reaction score
twins are expensive too......but that said
are there tuning issues tuning twins?
Also whats the thoughts on whether they would work with my Roush from spoiler/front end

Last edited:

Royb

forum member
Reaction score
might as well go turbo since you want to run 9's you will have more control with the way power comes on with a turbo.

GI Joe

Reaction score
might as well go turbo since you want to run 9's you will have more control with the way power comes on with a turbo.

yup I been looking at that real nice ( expensive ) controller that really gives you full control

retfr8flyr

The Old One
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Jim's kit usually takes about 2 to 3 weeks but you would have to talk with him. It will fit your front just fine but I can't answer about the tunning issues as I haven't finished mine yet.

Earl

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back