No change in 1/4 mile ET after gear change

Joe combs

Reaction score
DA on 6/2/2022 was 2045 at the time of your run
DA on 9/9/2021 was 1865 at the time of your run

Kil Kare has a DA link online
https://airdensityonline.com/track-results/Kil-Kare_Raceway/
Based off of the Da for 6/2 and using correction factor...it calls for a 12.91
IF you need one, I have the converter and input shaft that are new, never installed (2 of them actually) ...I am going to be changing to a stick... I am a short drive from you. Would I have Lito set your tune for the gear...yes...

Last edited:

Sledder

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
For what it's worth that was exactly my experience with the gear change. No difference. 2012, 5.0, Roush TVS, (at the time) M&H 275/45/18, 93 oct tune. Went from the 3.15 to 3.73. No change in ET on the strip. I tend to think that first gear is so low in these transmissions it negates the benefit of a rear gear change. The math looks good but the results just aren't there. Lot of cars running real fast with stock gears. I started paying more attention to RPM at the stripe and ended up using 3.55 gears.

BottleRocket

Reaction score
Dino is correct, it needs a higher stall to allow the engine to get higher up in the power band at launch. But now you need to start building some power into your motor. I would suggest long tubes, a high flow cat mid-pipe (I went with BBK), and a pair of stage 1 cams. I assume you already have a CAI? Lower gears are designed to allow you to take advantage of higher RPM power, which you don't have.

Pentalab

forum member
Reaction score
AFAIK, the oem converter is 1500 rpm...on the 5r55s. A higher rpm stall converter, with the optimal tq ratio, would do the job. Can the brakes even hold at > 2krpm ?

TerryZak

Reaction score
I didn't see anyone mention this, but didn't the run with the 4.10 gears have a slower reaction time by 0.5705 seconds? I'm pretty sure that if the various times were corrected for that reaction time, the 4.10 accelerations would look a little better, shouldn't they?

JimC

Reaction score
I didn't see anyone mention this, but didn't the run with the 4.10 gears have a slower reaction time by 0.5705 seconds? I'm pretty sure that if the various times were corrected for that reaction time, the 4.10 accelerations would look a little better, shouldn't they?

Reaction time won't affect the ET - the timer doesn't start until the car breaks the beams.

Last edited:

Pentalab

forum member
Reaction score
Reaction time won't affect the ET - the timer doesn't start until the car breaks the beams.

I didn't know that...till 2 years ago. ET + trap speed don't enter into the equation. It's whoever crosses the finish line 1st.

Dino Dino Bambino

I have a red car
Reaction score
ET + trap speed don't enter into the equation. It's whoever crosses the finish line 1st.

True, so it pays to have a 0.01sec RT. ;)
That said, if you're only using the strip to test your own vehicle rather than race against the other guy, you can take a snooze behind the start line if you like 'cause only the trap speed and ET will matter.

Reaction score
Dino is correct, it needs a higher stall to allow the engine to get higher up in the power band at launch. But now you need to start building some power into your motor. I would suggest long tubes, a high flow cat mid-pipe (I went with BBK), and a pair of stage 1 cams. I assume you already have a CAI? Lower gears are designed to allow you to take advantage of higher RPM power, which you don't have.
In my experience cams absolutely suck without Long tube headers. Make sure if you do them separately then you do tubes first. The stage one cams can be a different animal to the Brenspeed rockers. Rockers in my opinion are for sound. I really didn't see a difference but on the upper end the lower end it robbed torque.

8sec_lx

Reaction score
Hey OP. I had a similar experience back in 13' with my 6R80 car. Went from 3.15's to 3.73's. Needless to say, the 3.15's went back in and haven't come back out.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back