Not the typical noise.

durr4456

forum member
Reaction score
So friday, I cranked the car up and went to school. I heard a faint ticking sound but didn't think much about it. I noticed it again coming home so I decided to see if I could see what it was. It's a loud ticking and I figured may be something like exhaust is rattling or something, but I wasn't positive. Don't really think that is the issue. It doesn't really come into play until 2500 rpm, the idle is sound.

When I swapped to hot rods a few months back my oem phaser came apart on me, so I swapped it to a dorman unit. I've been looking into the typical phaser tick, but this seems a hell of a lot louder than a normal phaser tick.

Short of tearing the phaser down, anyway of confirming it's that? Possibly datalog and see if it's something in the phaser or not?

Thank ya in advance ;)

This is the video of the tapping. https://vimeo.com/142666577

Kylar

forum member
Reaction score
That sounds very unpleasant. I hope youre not still driving the car.

Hard to make an accurate diagnosis over the internet. But it definitely sounds like top end to me. Have a shop check it out, or if youre doing it your self take off the valve covers and take a look.

Wild White Pony

forum member
Reaction score
Sounds like your valve and piston are having a bongo party, but it could be as simple as a bolt missing out of your header and the only reason I even think that this racket could be that is the tape blowing in an upward motion from your wiring harness.

With that being said, would have to be there to have a better guess this and it doesn't sound very good. Motorcraft would of been the only phaser replacement I would of put in when doing that repair. Pull the valve covers and double check the timing marks for a start, check your followers and valve keepers are where they should be.

Last edited:

durr4456

forum member
Reaction score
That sounds very unpleasant. I hope youre not still driving the car.

Hard to make an accurate diagnosis over the internet. But it definitely sounds like top end to me. Have a shop check it out, or if youre doing it your self take off the valve covers and take a look.

Well. I wasn't driving it. I had a bicycle to ride to school (only like 5 miles). And go freaking figure a shard of glass pops the tire. I'm looking at snagging a quick dd (I need one anyway). And for sure noise over the internet. It's just pretty god damn loud haha.

Sounds like your valve and piston are having a bongo party, but it could be as simple as a bolt missing out of your header and the only reason I even think that this racket could be that is the tape blowing in an upward motion from your wiring harness.

With that being said, would have to be there to have a better guess this and it doesn't sound very good. Motorcraft would of been the only phaser replacement I would of put in when doing that repair. Pull the valve covers and double check the timing marks for a start, check your followers and valve keepers are where they should be.

I checked the driver side and it was solid. Pass side is next.

I say I did listen more closely and it doesn't really start until 1k. It's just super quiet. Time will tell what it is right? It seems to drive somewhat normal. Just has the noise.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kylar

forum member
Reaction score
Well. I wasn't driving it. I had a bicycle to ride to school (only like 5 miles). And go freaking figure a shard of glass pops the tire. I'm looking at snagging a quick dd (I need one anyway). And for sure noise over the internet. It's just pretty god damn loud haha.

I checked the driver side and it was solid. Pass side is next.

I say I did listen more closely and it doesn't really start until 1k. It's just super quiet. Time will tell what it is right? It seems to drive somewhat normal. Just has the noise.

Dont drive the car, the more you drive it the more damage its doing, and possibly sending bits of metal into the rest of the engine.

If its not something your fixing yourself, have it towed to a shop.

UltraKla$$ic

PERENNIAL WAXXER
Reaction score
If you did Hotrods, chances are a follower has grenaded. One or more than one. The cam job is not hard but making sure every single follower is placed back into place and the divet in the follower is positioned correctly is the trick to a job well done.

Sounds like one or more followers are jacked. Tear it down STAT!!!!!! That is if the phaser hasn't grenaded as well.

durr4456

forum member
Reaction score
Dont drive the car, the more you drive it the more damage its doing, and possibly sending bits of metal into the rest of the engine.

If its not something your fixing yourself, have it towed to a shop.

Nah I can get it. I'm just resorting to walking 2.5 miles to a busy station to get to class now ha.

If you did Hotrods, chances are a follower has grenaded. One or more than one. The cam job is not hard but making sure every single follower is placed back into place and the divet in the follower is positioned correctly is the trick to a job well done.

Sounds like one or more followers are jacked. Tear it down STAT!!!!!! That is if the phaser hasn't grenaded as well.

I swapped em back in April. Was fine for months

Gonna check pass side today.

UltraKla$$ic

PERENNIAL WAXXER
Reaction score
It can do that. It will be fine for awhile then BOOM! Minced meat of the heads!

Did you do the work or have it done??

durr4456

forum member
Reaction score
It can do that. It will be fine for awhile then BOOM! Minced meat of the heads!

Did you do the work or have it done??

I did it, jumped time on the start, paid to get it retimed (was finals week of school lol)

Can I drive the 16 until I get mine squared away? I mean, someone's gotta start it right?

AbdullaGT500

forum member
Reaction score
Start by pulling the coil packs, make sure your spark plugs are tight. If they are, pull your valve covers and look for anything that is out of the ordinary. It's possible that a follower came out, or even that a cam cap came loose.

durr4456

forum member
Reaction score
Between school and work I have had no time to do anything. Thank god I just finished the 4 straight weeks of test I have. So then I'll be able to get into it a bit and see

Pentalab

forum member
Reaction score
Weeeeeellllllll!?!?!?!??

Are you riding a bike permanently now?????????

Darren, If you cleaned out your garage of cars, you would have plenty of room to ride a bike around the garage, use no gas, be eco friendly..and save the planet.

duststang

forum member
Reaction score
listen with stethoscope or a broomstick will help pinpoint where the sound is coming from. I had a really bad knock while waiting in drive through. I though for sure it was going to come apart any second. I baby it home and started looking and turned out that the cat in the exhaust came loose and sounded like the bottom end was wasted. cats have like a 8 yr warranty and the dealer replaced for free and everything was back to normal.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back