Noticed some small puffs of smoke, should I be concerned about this? (pics included)

WTBTraction

forum member
Reaction score
The other day I cranked up my Mustang and noticed some smoke coming from the hood. Not a lot, more like someone exhaling a little bit of cig smoke. It eventually goes away but when I looked closer I noticed a little oil. Should I be concerned about this? Been blown for about 15k miles now. 67k on the clock.

vyGpDji.jpg

6p3NKHO.jpg

Taxman

One foot out the door
Reaction score
Looks like you need to replace your PCV hose.

and to answer your question, no not a big deal.

WTBTraction

forum member
Reaction score
That's good to know, curious... I guess it just got old? It doesnt seem like it's leaking at the hose, I see a good of oil residue on the valve cover there. Ill see if that helps in the mean time. Thanks.

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
Did you put the extra pcv in? It looks like the oring blew out of your connector (just a guess) allowing positive pressure out along with crankcase stuff.

WTBTraction

forum member
Reaction score
Did you put the extra pcv in? It looks like the oring blew out of your connector (just a guess) allowing positive pressure out along with crankcase stuff.

I havent touched it after the shop installed the system. :(

Taxman

One foot out the door
Reaction score
Bruce is likely dead on. Switch to breathers. Easy to do, and you don't get all that shit back into your motor. If you pulled your intake, the runners are coated with blow-by slime.

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
I havent touched it after the shop installed the system. :(

Can you take a better picture of the pcv line? Try to get both ends in the picture. I've succesfully kept my pcv functional with both the procharger I have now and with a paxton I had previously. IMO it really needs an extra pcv inline. If the extra pcv isn't there then the one in the valve cover is where pressure will stop. Anything between the intake manifold and valve cover is subject to failing under boost. I guessed it was the connector oring but it could be other things.

Back