OEM GT Wing replaced with OEM GT500 Spoiler

MrClean

Marc; but I go by MrClean
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Here are the pics...straightforward...the stocker came off real easy, then used goof off to get the sticky stuff off, cleaned surface with alcohol, and stuck it on. My wife helped (actually she was ahead of me on her side)...here are some pics. The stealership charged me $134 to paint it.

Also note the US Flag Pony in the grill (sorry Hawg; you know I mean no disrespect, in fact I just installed a 12 LED light to keep the flag mounted on the front of the house properly illuminated at night).

Last edited:

scramblr

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
On the fourth pic, on the passenger side it looks as if the spoiler is not flush with the trunk lid. I mention it because mine is the same way. Mine is not OEM though, I got it through Modular Depot. I need to figure out how to get mine flush.

MrClean

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Oh, I'm anal about those kinda things! The distance between the spoiler and the trunk lid is exactly tha same at every point in contact...but if you look at the far side, it look like the light "over there" is greater...in fact I was just out there looking at that very thing you mention and rechecked. The double sided tape on the OEM spoiler is applied at 3 points: a 3½ wide strip along the middle between the bolts, and out side the bolts. That double sided stuff is pretty thick, so the spoiler surface at no point makes contact with the deck lid, except for the bolt points. I've even pushed down on it to see if maybe it would "squash" and make contact, and what happens is that the trunk lid starts to bend! No the install is flawless...which I can't say for the quality of the paint job...found a 1"x1" driver side corner with a little orange peel, but they haven't buffed it yet, they said they would prefer to buff it once it was installed. Of course I didn't notice this until AFTER I had installed it...but it really doesn't bug me as it's not noticeable.

MrClean

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Here are a couple of pics...the orange peel (in the upper left corner of the spoiler) isn't really visible...you gotta catch the light just right with this color to photograph it, I guess..anyway, check out the "gap" all along the spoiler's leading edge...doesn't bother me, except it will when I wash the car and after I've dried it I open the trunk to dry the drain areas, and some deposited water will run out...making me do it again when I close the lid LOL

EDIT: The stealership fixed the orange peel when they buffed the spoiler.

Last edited:

SoundGuyDave

This Space For Rent
Reaction score
..anyway, check out the "gap" all along the spoiler's leading edge...doesn't bother me, except it will when I wash the car and after I've dried it I open the trunk to dry the drain areas, and some deposited water will run out...making me do it again when I close the lid LOL

That specific issue is one of the major motivating factors I have to replace my stock spoiler. I was leaning towards the GT500 piece, but not any more, unless there is a good fix. Marc, thanks for pointing that out! Your car looks fantastic, by the way!

1Fast05Turbo

Flying Low
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
After 2 years "spoilerless", I got the GT500 spoiler. Got it at e-bay and paid $126.00 painted and shipped. I was a bit aprehensive when I ordered thinking the qua;ity was going to be crap, but for that price and painted, I figure if I didn't like it I could always sell it.

When I got it, not only the fit is perfect but the paint was very good.

LAK3RS

Original Member
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
O yeah!! Thats what I'm talking bout! I've had my spoiler sitting out since July but ran into my rear end problem that I thought was gonna set me back but my car is going into the shop on Tues. I'm getting my third brake light taken out and having a template welded in so it's a nice clean look. I may just throw on the spoiler my self sometime this week as I might not have time to get stuff done due to going to Houston this weekend. Clean, you better be there bro. I'll pm ya my number and stuff.

That spoiler is freaking beautiful, straight up perfect...

- Justin

Willie

Reaction score
Here it is on my wife's V6.

Willie

Attachments

• 4316.JPG
    4316.JPG
    66.2 KB · Views: 34
  • 4320.JPG
    4320.JPG
    58.4 KB · Views: 40

MrClean

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
O yeah!! Thats what I'm talking bout! I've had my spoiler sitting out since July but ran into my rear end problem that I thought was gonna set me back but my car is going into the shop on Tues. I'm getting my third brake light taken out and having a template welded in so it's a nice clean look. I may just throw on the spoiler my self sometime this week as I might not have time to get stuff done due to going to Houston this weekend. Clean, you better be there bro. I'll pm ya my number and stuff.

That spoiler is freaking beautiful, straight up perfect...

- Justin
Look fwd to it!

Willie

Reaction score
....I'm getting my third brake light taken out and having a template welded in so it's a nice clean look....

You mean like mine?

Willie

Attachments

• 4335.JPG
    4335.JPG
    71 KB · Views: 49

MrClean

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
....I'm getting my third brake light taken out and having a template welded in so it's a nice clean look....

You mean like mine?

Willie
Suhweet car Willie! Is it a real Shelby...or a tribute? And a question: isn't it a legal requirement to have that 3rd brake light?

lookin good man!

Thanks! From the side the GT500 is larger than I thought...but I love it...

Willie

Reaction score
Suhweet car Willie! Is it a real Shelby...or a tribute?

It is a tribute. My reasons are different than most. Reply #14 explains my position:

http://forums.bradbarnett.net/showthread.php?t=66451

I guess I should make a signature like other websites..... it states my car is a tribute....

....Isn't it a legal requirement to have that 3rd brake light?

Yes, since 1986 on passenger cars. This is why I opted to install the high mount third brake light.

Willie

MrClean

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Suhweet car Willie! Is it a real Shelby...or a tribute?

It is a tribute. My reasons are different than most. Reply #14 explains my position:

http://forums.bradbarnett.net/showthread.php?t=66451

I guess I should make a signature like other websites..... it states my car is a tribute....

....Isn't it a legal requirement to have that 3rd brake light?

Yes, since 1986 on passenger cars. This is why I opted to install the high mount third brake light.

Willie

Awesome...way to "Johnny Paycheck" it to the stealerships! I agree 100%, especially when it comes to the GT500...unlike the SGT, it never even makes it to the Shelby shop! I got Kevin's contact info saved that thread also, in case I need parts in the future...

LAK3RS

Original Member
S197 Team Member
Reaction score

You mean like mine?

Willie

That is beautiful!!!! I can't wait till mine is done. I'm holding off till next week to get it done and I'll be sure to post pics!

Silverback

Reaction score
Does the new GT500 spoiler use all 4 bolt holes that the GT spoiler used or did you have to plug?

I love the GT/CS package!

Willie

Reaction score
It uses all four bolt holes and a LOT of tape.

Willie

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back