*Official* BBQ N' Smoker thread

retfr8flyr

The Old One
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Got my new Kamado Joe Big Joe set up and ready for cooking today.

All set up!!

Doing a burn in cycle.

I plan to do some real damage to some meat this year.

s8v4o

forum member
Reaction score
Nice!! The only thing that keeps me away from them is the lack of an easy way to refill it with more fuel. I do know that they are super efficient but I'm a stick burner so all I burn is wood and that would be rather difficult with one of those. Now making a pizza in that bad boy, I'd be all over that!! Especially since they don't cook for very long. Let us know how it works for you.

retfr8flyr

The Old One
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
You use lump charcoal in one of these and a load will cook for about 14 hrs, so you don't really need to add more fuel. A stick burner is the only thing I have never cooked on. I have been cooking with the Kamado type grill for over 50 years. My father brought one back from Japan back in 1962, before anyone here even knew what they were. He taught me to cook on it and we did many meals on that grill. When he passed, I got it and used it for many more years. Unfortunately it was broken during one of my many moves. I have used many different kamado style grills, as well as conventional grill and smokers, since then but never found one that I was really happy with. This Big Joe is extremely versatile and I am glad to have finally found one that I am happy with.

If you have never cooked on a Kamado style grill then you owe it to yourself to give one a try, if you ever get the chance. You can smoke, grill and bake all on the one grill. There just isn't anything available, for the back yard environment, that cooks better than a Kamado grill.

retfr8flyr

The Old One
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Baby back ribs from my new Big Joe. I used the firebox divider and only used half of grill, for a single rack. They came out great, super moist. Even the wife is only half as mad at me, for getting the grill, after eating these.

Almost done!

Ready to come off!

The money shot, ready to eat with some grilled Parmesan Cauliflower!

irishpwr46

Official Site Vandal
Reaction score
Damn I need the snow to melt faster. Walking around in home depot on Sunday and this thread really have me in a smoking mood

NickD87

forum member
Reaction score
looks nice glad your enjoying the first cooks, can only get better with more practice and experimentation
Make me hungry looking at it then looking at my smoker under a foot of snow....

Mr. Q

forum member
Reaction score
Damn I need the snow to melt faster. Walking around in home depot on Sunday and this thread really have me in a smoking mood

dude, if i could grill in Fairbanks, Alaska, in -40degF weather, you can definitely grill in the snow. just saying :)
pro tip: buy extra charcoal. lol

irishpwr46

Official Site Vandal
Reaction score
i definitely could, i just cant get my smoker out of the shed til the ice holding the door shut melts. hindsight is 20-20

Herknav

Devil's Advocate
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Snow, ice, mud, rain...I can't smoke right now because I'm 800 miles from my smoker.

retfr8flyr

The Old One
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
These were as good as any ribs I have cooked. They were moister then some I have done using the 2-2-1 foil wrap method. I can't wait to do some reverse seared steak on this Big Joe. It's supposed to rain tomorrow, so Thursday for the steak.

s8v4o

forum member
Reaction score
Nice looking ribs Earl!! After doing some research I've opted to not wrap them in foil anymore. It's more or less a crutch. I've been leaving them open to the smoker the whole time now.

Here's my fuel source. It's hickory from a tree that I cut up. Someone on craigslist had a downed tree so I removed it for them. Nothing like not having to buy charcoal!

_1018603_zpswpmemuss.jpg

I always dry brine my meats with salt about 24 hours before cooking the meat. Dry brining is just simply sprinkling a 1/2 tsp of salt per pound of meat and let it sit for a minimum of 2 hours. In this pic I already dry brined it and added my rub. Because I dry brine I don't add any salt to my rub.

_1018598_zpsqz5dyhb8.jpg

Here it is the following day before going on the smoker

_1018624_zpsakoq1xfa.jpg

Getting the fire going

_1018610_zps7npfpxc9.jpg

Fire is just right

_1018698_zpsvqxed7ss.jpg

Put the meat on

_1018627_zpskevlhdz7.jpg

About half way there

_1018639_zpseyabktka.jpg

About 5-6 hours later

_1018647_zpseuznxyxm.jpg

_1018649_zpso7swcybe.jpg

_1018655_zpski0y7qjp.jpg

_1018656_zpsucjmx7um.jpg

As you can tell despite not wrapping the ribs in foil they still come out very moist and pull cleanly off the bone. I really do enjoy stick burning with just wood. For one all my fuel is free. Also it has an old feel to it that really does take some time to "master". I use that term loosely because I'll always be learning.

Next time I'll show you guys a datalog of my next cook!!

retfr8flyr

The Old One
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Great looking ribs. I stopped using foil on ribs because it just isn't needed with a kamado and I like the better bark you get without foiling.

s8v4o

forum member
Reaction score
Great looking ribs. I stopped using foil on ribs because it just isn't needed with a kamado and I like the better bark you get without foiling.

Your absolutely right about the bark regarding the foil. I also no longer wrap my pork butts either. Takes a little while longer because the stall time is longer without the foil but it's certainly worth it. I usually do have a water pan though. The steam from the water not only keeps the meat moist but it also makes the meat "stickier" to the smoke particles. Enjoy the new cooker Earl!!

retfr8flyr

The Old One
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I never did wrap butts, again the bark issue. I don't need a water pan with the Kamado but I do put a drip pan, with a little apple juice in it to keep the drippings from burning, under the butt. I save the drippings and put them in the fridge to get cold. After it gets cold, I remove the solid fat from the top and I have nice a nice batch of Au Juice. When I reheat leftovers I add this back to the meat and it works great.

Thanks, I plan to really enjoy my Big Joe. I've been waiting a long time t get another real ceramic grill.

s8v4o

forum member
Reaction score
What size is that Earl?

EDIT - Nevermind Earl I googled it. Very nice, enjoy.

Last edited:

retfr8flyr

The Old One
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
It's the Big Joe and is 24 inch diameter at the grill. Plus I can get an extender rack for another level above the grill.

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back