Oil Pressure = dummy light?

Full_Tilt

forum member
Reaction score
I have a base model, so I dont have the Oil pressure guage on my dash, but I assume the sensor is still there for the ECU so it can throw a CEL for low oil pressure if it has to.
Ive noticed that the Water Temp appears to be a dummy light, never see any fluctuation once its up to temp and it does seem to get up to temp all at once.

So is the oil pressure just a dummy light? Is it the same sensor on the Base and Premium?

JeremyH

3V Fuel Guru
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Yup its a dummy as well. Your car has to be basicly completely empty of oil for the light to come on. As long as theres something in the pan for the pump to push to the filter it will register oil pressure( the sensor is right by the oil filter). If the oil pump fails however the light will come on right away which is a good thing i guess lol.

I have an autometer water temp gauge and half way on the stock gauge is basicly 180-210, my autometer will move but the factory just sits happy at halfway.

Last edited:

Full_Tilt

forum member
Reaction score
Yah, thats what I was afraid of. From what Ive seen with many other cars the dummy light pressure sensors are just as you describe, they usually dont show a loss of pressure until youre down at like 4 psi, at which point youre already screwed.

Well looks like Im gonna find me a sandwich plate, unless theres a going point to tap into on the block?

JeremyH

3V Fuel Guru
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I use a sandwhich plate, i have my oil pressure gauge in i just haven't installed the sensor yet as i have to remove the turbo and up pipe to get to it.

Last edited:

Sky Render

Stig's Retarded Cousin
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I'm rather disappointed with the stock oil pressure gauge. If you include a gauge in a vehicle, it should be fully functional and actually tell you something. The oil pressure and coolant temperature gauges on my old Dodge Ram, for instance, at least move enough to let you know something is going on. (Oil pressure was noticeably lower at hot idle, for instance.) The fact that the voltage, coolant temperature, and oil pressure gauges are simply glorified idiot lights does not sit well with me.

erod550

Reaction score
I'm rather disappointed with the stock oil pressure gauge. If you include a gauge in a vehicle, it should be fully functional and actually tell you something. The oil pressure and coolant temperature gauges on my old Dodge Ram, for instance, at least move enough to let you know something is going on. (Oil pressure was noticeably lower at hot idle, for instance.) The fact that the voltage, coolant temperature, and oil pressure gauges are simply glorified idiot lights does not sit well with me.

The problem is if the gauge moves too much, people who don't know anything about cars will bring the car to the dealer thinking something is wrong. The first couple years of Miatas have very responsive and accurate oil pressure gauges, so when you have a high load on the engine at high rpm the oil pressure naturally rises. This caused many owners to freak out and take their car in thinking something was wrong with their engine because their oil pressure went so high. Sure enough after a couple years of this, Mazda went back to the dummy style gauge that just sits there unless something is seriously wrong.

Unfortunately, as performance-minded drivers, we are in the minority so we have to customize our cars to our liking because the general public doesn't want or need as much information from their car as we do.

Reaction score
I really have not got under my car to look but is there a spot on the new 5.0 engine block for a oil pressure sending unit?

I was thinking about this just the other day. I do want some A-pillar gauges for the car. I was thinking oil psi and water temp.

RazorbackMustang

MT82 Lover
Reaction score
I really have not got under my car to look but is there a spot on the new 5.0 engine block for a oil pressure sending unit?

I was thinking about this just the other day. I do want some A-pillar gauges for the car. I was thinking oil psi and water temp.

I would definitely like an oil temp gauge. It's something I'm always concerned about in the bak of my head. I just don't think I can bring myself to drill any holes anywhere to mount the pod. Lol

Reaction score
I would definitely like an oil temp gauge. It's something I'm always concerned about in the bak of my head. I just don't think I can bring myself to drill any holes anywhere to mount the pod. Lol

I would be getting the A-pillar peice that totally replaces the stock. I'll have to find it, i know they are out there somewhere.

mpf

forum member
Reaction score
The problem is if the gauge moves too much, people who don't know anything about cars will bring the car to the dealer thinking something is wrong.

Yes, that is the reason Ford and most makers have not done a "real" pressure gauge for at least 30 years. It's not cost-saving, the device is capable of being full-fledged, there are resistors added to limit movement.

MVSicari

forum member
Reaction score
I read the previous post and you guys say that the oil pressure gauges aren't real because when the engine changes RPM's that the oil pressure should increase. Since the gauge does't move then it must be fake right.... I don't think so because you can't forget that you have a oil pressure regulator. Doesn't matter if you run 2,000 or 10,000 RPM's you will still maintain a constant preset oil pressure. Example at idle 40 psi or 5,000 will still be 40 psi. It also doesn't matter if it's a after-market gauge or not because your still reading the oil pressure after the regulator. It also doesn't matter if you have 1 quart or 5 quarts you will still maintain oil pressure. The light usually comes on around 10psi. +/-3.

scramblr

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
they usually dont show a loss of pressure until youre down at like 4 psi, at which point youre already screwed.

True statement...ask me how I know. :onfire:

I use a sandwhich plate, i have my oil pressure gauge in i just haven't installed the sensor yet as i have to remove the turbo and up pipe to get to it.

Works great with my Aeroforce gauge.

I read the previous post and you guys say that the oil pressure gauges aren't real because when the engine changes RPM's that the oil pressure should increase. Since the gauge does't move then it must be fake right.... I don't think so because you can't forget that you have a oil pressure regulator. Doesn't matter if you run 2,000 or 10,000 RPM's you will still maintain a constant preset oil pressure. Example at idle 40 psi or 5,000 will still be 40 psi. It also doesn't matter if it's a after-market gauge or not because your still reading the oil pressure after the regulator. It also doesn't matter if you have 1 quart or 5 quarts you will still maintain oil pressure. The light usually comes on around 10psi. +/-3.

The light comes on at +/-4psi and so does the message center. Also, as soon as I start my car, my oil pressure is about 75psi until the car goes to normal idle and normal operating temperature at which time the psi bounces around 15-20psi. Normal driving it's around 30-40psi and WOT it's up to 60 - 70psi. All read through an Aeroforce gauge.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back