Oops---trans fluid is mocha frappicino

psfracer

billy badass
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Well, I removed the trans this evening and drained the trans fluid, expecting maybe a dark fruit punch color--but instead got a pretty dark brown! I guess this confirms that 236 trans temps are way to hot.

On the bright side, there were no sparkles---while the fluid was burnt, it was free of material.

New converter going in tomorrow, finally!!

Hawgman

THE fucking bad guy
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Wow. Good thing you were replacing the converter and saw it before it was too late

Enitalp

The lost guy.
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Normaly i'm doing my converter also next week. Thinking of doing the deep pan at the same time.

What kind of fluid i need to buy ? and how many ?

Ken3030

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Let me know when you are going to Irwindale I'd like to see your car run. I will be there tomarrow.

ChevyKiller

Preferred Internet Drink
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I gotta tell you adding the 2nd trans cooler did wonder for me Paul.

I cruised a 100 miles at an average of 3400 rpm after install and my trans temp never saw over 140º:clap:

Even on it hard, I have never seen my temp go over 160º yet.

Before the 2nd cooler, I was averaging 210-220º*within 25 minutes of cruising. I would install a cheap gauge even if temporary so you can see if maybe a 2nd cooler is right for you also.

psfracer

billy badass
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Where did you mount your second trans cooler? I am not using my windshield wiper resivour so maybe I can mount it there.

Does anyone know how many quarts these transmissions take? I know if you overfill it by just have a quart, trans fluid will come out of the vent tube.

The trans is stamped saying to use Mercon V---but how many quarts?

G.T

Reaction score
can we log trans temps via OBD? i guess there is a sensor in there right?

GI Joe

Reaction score
takes 12 qts
I added the deep aluminum pan and it lowered my temps 20 degrees.
My experience is the fluid starts to turn @ 210 degrees. If you see 210 you should change it...

psfracer

billy badass
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
takes 12 qts
I added the deep aluminum pan and it lowered my temps 20 degrees.
My experience is the fluid starts to turn @ 210 degrees. If you see 210 you should change it...

Is 12 quarts with the standard trans pan or the aluminum pan? Does that also include the torque converter?

ChevyKiller

Preferred Internet Drink
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Where did you mount your second trans cooler? I am not using my windshield wiper resivour so maybe I can mount it there.

Does anyone know how many quarts these transmissions take? I know if you overfill it by just have a quart, trans fluid will come out of the vent tube.

The trans is stamped saying to use Mercon V---but how many quarts?

Thre first one is mounted in the fenderwell and the second one was mounted between the HE and RAD on the bottom. I have the fans on all the time on the first one. The 2nd one doesn't have a fan pack. It works wonders though. I had a real tough time with trans temps. I couldn't cruise my car over 2300 rpm for any length of time. I would also see temps at 260º during a pass. Like I said I never see over 160º now at any rpm.

I think the PA Trans pan would have the same effect but I have this AOD and so it wasn't an option for me.

psfracer

billy badass
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Well I replaced the converter with the PI 3300 stall and changed transmissions--(got a rebuilt one from Larry's Transmission). It didn't take as long as I expected---hardest part was just getting the trans up into the tunnel by myself while the car is on jack stands. That transmission is f'n heavy. Only other pain in the ass was the top starter bolt, but other then that it was pretty simple. Now its to Irwindale on Thursday to see what difference this converter makes! Seems to drive good, but won't know for sure until Thursday.

ChevyKiller

Preferred Internet Drink
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Looking forward to seeing you on Thursday Paul!

You put the trans in by yourself on jackstands????? MY HERO HE-MAN...:worth:

cekim

Large Member
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Only other pain in the ass was the top starter bolt, but other then that it was pretty simple.
I've found a "good way" for every step of the trans swap process after 3 passes except that thing...

1/4" ratchet with a deep socket, reach up prepare for hand cramps is about as good as I got it this past go-around...

psfracer

billy badass
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Oh, I forgot:

Here is my theroy on what happened. When I took the old transmission out, I removed the converter(which was hard, felt like it was stuck on there) and this is what I saw---the input shaft splines were fine, but the second set of splines further back (and larger in diameter) were sheared off--about halfway. If I understand correctly, these second set of splines are for the transmission pump--I could be wrong on that. So I am guessing the reason why it didn't like to downshift in drive at slow speeds was the splines engaging the pump were sheared off. If fluid wasn't circulating that well, that could also explain the burnt fluid and high temps. I wish I took a picture of that to explain better, but I didn't.

GI Joe

Reaction score
Oh, I forgot:

Here is my theroy on what happened. When I took the old transmission out, I removed the converter(which was hard, felt like it was stuck on there) and this is what I saw---the input shaft splines were fine, but the second set of splines further back (and larger in diameter) were sheared off--about halfway. If I understand correctly, these second set of splines are for the transmission pump--I could be wrong on that. So I am guessing the reason why it didn't like to downshift in drive at slow speeds was the splines engaging the pump were sheared off. If fluid wasn't circulating that well, that could also explain the burnt fluid and high temps. I wish I took a picture of that to explain better, but I didn't.
What kind of converter was in there before.

Also an old trick...Most hard core guys ...for years now....do not put the top starter bolt back in. I know at least 40-50 cars that have them out and no problems...Throw it into the woods the next time you see it ..LOL

cekim

Large Member
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Throw it into the woods the next time you see it ..LOL
I think something more violent might accidentally happen to mine in a couple of weeks...

J/K - its not that bad... builds strength in the fingers for the next time you want to put your finger through an oak board... :hammer:

psfracer

billy badass
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
What kind of converter was in there before.

It was an Art Carr converter.

Well, I put in some 101 race gas, put on the M&H's, loaded in Adam's Irwindale tune, and took the new PI converter for a test drive.

Lets just say that converter is worth every penny. I now spin my worn M&H's like the Art Carr converter spun the Nitto 555 street tires. I am going to have to get a new set of M&H's it seems. Obviously have not taken it to the track yet, but the SOTP feel tells me the car is easily in 7.20 territory, easily.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back