Opinions!! Carbonfiber and brushed aluminum? Dipping Cars?

Kylar

forum member
Reaction score
Hello All, I want some opinions.

I bought some Brushed aluminum gunmetal vinyl and was going to do my roof. After i already bought the vinyl i stumbled on a great deal for a carbonfiber hood.

Now do you guys think if I do the brushed gunmetal vinyl on the roof it will be too busy, or too many different materials, on the car with the carbonfiber hood?

On top of all that, im also thinking of dipping my car. Possibly gray anthracite metallic, or a blue pearl.... Anyone have any dipping experience?

Or maybe ill go crazy and try to wrap the whole car in the brushed aluminum vinyl....:Pshyco:

Here is a pic of the car for reference. The sides of the hood are currently done in black vinyl to bring together the look.

Last edited:

BleedinBlue

forum member
Reaction score
I literally came to Chit Chat to make a thread because I'm debating, and very close, to either wrapping or dipping my car. I still will probably make a thread to not detract from yours.

IMHO, the CF hood and the gunmetal roof would be too much, too different.

LS1EATINPONY

The Banker
Reaction score
I agree with Blue.... Pick one and roll with it. My opinion is that you should just dip the car first. Its not hard to spray at all. DipYourCar has tons of videos on how to spray a car properly. From my understanding you can expect to spend a few hundred dollars at a minimum on dip materials alone for matte colors and then it increases quite a bit if you start mixing in metalizers and pearls. Just really depends on the look youre wanting. My suggestion is get on youtube and check out the custom colors they can make and see if it interests you. They have some awesome colors for sure.

Kylar

forum member
Reaction score
I literally came to Chit Chat to make a thread because I'm debating, and very close, to either wrapping or dipping my car. I still will probably make a thread to not detract from yours.

IMHO, the CF hood and the gunmetal roof would be too much, too different.

No worries, I saw your thread and posted in it. IMO i would use the 2300 for mods instead paying someone for a wrap, but thats just me :)

Yeah I agree, i thought the same thing, it just sucks I already bought the vinyl. Oh well, maybe it will be for sale soon...haha

I agree with Blue.... Pick one and roll with it. My opinion is that you should just dip the car first. Its not hard to spray at all. DipYourCar has tons of videos on how to spray a car properly. From my understanding you can expect to spend a few hundred dollars at a minimum on dip materials alone for matte colors and then it increases quite a bit if you start mixing in metalizers and pearls. Just really depends on the look youre wanting. My suggestion is get on youtube and check out the custom colors they can make and see if it interests you. They have some awesome colors for sure.

I've watched probably 100 videos on vinyl and dipping, great idea to watch them they help alot. I'm pretty sure im going to dip it. The vinyl guys make it look WAY too easy! ive done some small things but never a car.

I think i should be able to dip the car for about $250. Im debating anthracite or a blue pearl of sorts.

LS1EATINPONY

The Banker
Reaction score
Vinyl wrapping wouldnt be bad on your car for the most part. Alot of it has to do with the quality of material used as well though. Its easier with higher end 3M vinyl since it has "memory" for lack of better words meaning that if you stretch it you can heat it as long as the stretch isnt bad and it will go back to its original state.

BleedinBlue

forum member
Reaction score
No worries, I saw your thread and posted in it. IMO i would use the 2300 for mods instead paying someone for a wrap, but thats just me :)

Believe me, it's tempting to spend the money to go fast. I somewhat (not sure if I believe it, once she found out how much it would cost she'd probably pull the plug) got permission for a blower. But...I simply don't need, and maybe don't even want a 10 second car. My jealousy over other color cars is kinda getting out of hand though, lol.

Kylar

forum member
Reaction score
I vote leave it, your car looks badass the way it is.

Thank you very much! I do love the black! I just wouldnt mind a break from keeping black looking good in New England.

Vinyl wrapping wouldnt be bad on your car for the most part. Alot of it has to do with the quality of material used as well though. Its easier with higher end 3M vinyl since it has "memory" for lack of better words meaning that if you stretch it you can heat it as long as the stretch isnt bad and it will go back to its original state.

It looks easier then it is, with the front bumper probably being the most challenging. I would say it would be a 2-3 day project and thats being very generous and optimistic.

Believe me, it's tempting to spend the money to go fast. I somewhat (not sure if I believe it, once she found out how much it would cost she'd probably pull the plug) got permission for a blower. But...I simply don't need, and maybe don't even want a 10 second car. My jealousy over other color cars is kinda getting out of hand though, lol.

I would spend the cash on a supercharger hands down, and not even think twice...lol

Kylar

forum member
Reaction score
Yeah its the one in the pic. The site shrinks the pic so its hard to tell its carbon.

Kylar

forum member
Reaction score
I have decided to leave the car black for now. waiting for a decently cool dry day to do a full detail. Clay, polish, wax/sealant the whole 9.

If i do change the color later im definitely dipping it. Too many issues with vinyl for me personally to do it myself.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back