P1703 DTC

TARA-fied1

Reaction score
Now that I have the 200712 Mustang swap complete, I am driving it a lot. I want to address some of the codes. I have an appointment at a tire shop to program the TPMS in the wheels. I do have a brake light on and code P1703 Brake Switch Out of Self-Test Range. Is this the Parking brake switch or brake pedal switch? FORscan says parking brake switch is OFF and doesn't change when I move the parking brake. Not sure how to test pedal switch but brake lights working

Thanks in advance
P1703.jpeg

Last edited:

TARA-fied1

Reaction score
I swapped the parking brake switch (since I had the original one from the 07). That didn't solve the issue. I guess the brake pedal switch can still make the brake lights work and give a fault code...

TARA-fied1

Reaction score
Google research suggests, the P1703 DTC is either a short or open, or the switch failed the open/close key on engine off self test. Or maybe that is the same thing...
I hate to throw parts at a problem but I guess I am going to try a new brake pedal switch.

Juice

forum member
Reaction score
Going from memory here:
I seem to recall the brake light switch is different in 07 (2 wire) vs the 11&up being a 4wire.
PCM does not see the Ebrake, so your code is for the switch on the brake pedal.
I forget what I did for wiring, sorry. Did my swap 5 years ago.
All the switches on the pedal assembly are adjustable. Auto adjusting actually. But you have to manually "reset" them, install, and operate the pedal. The switch than ratchets to the correct adjustment.

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back