PCM ECU switch

louis

Reaction score
I have an 06 Mustang GT 5 speed manual with 38Kmiles. I started to have O2 sensor problem bank1 sensor1 and i changed it but the engine light is still on. After a while the engine started to sound weird. I took it to the mechanic, he said you need to change the 8 spark plugs which we did, but the problem is still there. Finally he said it's the PCM that needs to be changed. He said that the PCM does not have to have the same part number, it can be a different one that has 5 speed manual in addition to programming it and it will work. My question can we replace the PCM with a different part number?

LarryJM

Resident Fuktard
Reaction score
I thought it just has to be reprogramed period. In some cases, it might need to be programed before it is installed.

louis

Reaction score
it seems the PCM is not stabilizing the car so it needs to be changed, but my question is can we install a different part number instead of the same.

bl817

Reaction score
yeah, agree on second opinion. what plugs were used?

louis

Reaction score
My car is in the garage and the guy is waiting for me to decide. I just wanted to know if such procedure with the PCM is possible or not. The plugs i used are standard motorcraft for Mustang GT.

46addict

Reaction score
What is the fault code you are getting?
And any manual trans PCM will work. It's preferable to use one from the same model year if possible. After that it's just a matter of programming. You will need to have keys programmed to match the PCM, or buy the keys and PCM together. The third and cheapest option is to keep your current keys and disable PATS.

louis

Reaction score
Thanks for the answer. It's clear. At first i had O2 sensor code malfunction which i changed it but it is still there. After a while the cylinder 5 is malfunction. We changed the 8 spark plugs and the cylinder gave same issue. Until the guy concluded it's the PCM fault. The PCM to swap is used and unfortunately he could not give me warranty.

RocketcarX

95% of my weight is fuel
Reaction score
The alternator could be failing too, the PCM failing is a last resort type of diagnosis. He needs to check the charging system for AC voltage

sman247

forum member
Reaction score
have the battery voltage checked. When these alternators start to go (which is very common) they do all sorts of weird stuff and throw all sorts of weird codes. I dunno about the pcm failing like that

46addict

Reaction score
O2 sensor codes can appear when the sensor voltage is stuck lean or stuck rich, or if there is a break in the wiring. And a code that points to a specific cylinder could be from a misfire or a dead/stuck injector, or a break in the wiring, etc. I would have suggested swapping out the COP or injector from cylinder 5 to a different cylinder but I can't say which without knowing the exact codes. Do you have the DTC codes handy?

louis

Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestions. i finally went for changing the PCM and now the car functions with no codes at all..It is working well so far. He made a second key with chip, i guess it's for clearing the codes..

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back