Photography - learn me how take pictures

tjm73

of Omicron Persei 8
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
The thread title is a bit of a joke because I am about as new to trying to take decent pictures as one can be. I almost feel retarded because I know so little about actually getting the picture I'd like.

Every once and a while I get lucky when I am taking pictures and get a picture I really like. I've never had a "high end" camera. I've only ever had point and shoots. I have some OK pictures, but they're pretty much all luck. I have no editing experience to speak of.

My wife and I recently bought a new camera. It's a step up from a simple point and shoot but not a DSLR. We bought a Canon SX510 HS. It takes nice pictures when I'm lucky enough to have conditions right for whatever I'm taking pictures of. But it does a whole lot more than I know what to do with it.

What are some good beginner websites to learn the jargon and what things do? Like what exactly is ISO and what do the different numbers with it mean? What impact does it have on the picture?

Also, I would like to learn more about lighting and when to take the best pictures. Bright sun light? Overcast days? What about indoor shots? Objects traveling at higher speeds? Sports? Drag racing, etc...

Where can I learn about this stuff without it being so technical I lose interest, but technical enough I understand it. I like to understand not only what something does, but how it does it.

Attached is an "I got lucky" picture I recently took. At least I think I got lucky.

5456b.jpg

Last edited:

psfracer

billy badass
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Here is one of the best vids I have found that explains a lot, but its really for DSLRs. If you have a point and shoot, you don't have a lot of flexibility like you would in a DSLR.

Also, check out this thread. While its about cars, a lot of the principals in it will apply to almost anything:

http://www.s197forum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=112160

tjm73

of Omicron Persei 8
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
This is what I have...

canon-powershot-sx510-hs.jpg

This is a review of it...
http://www.cameralabs.com/reviews/Canon_PowerShot_SX510_HS/

It's more than a P&S, but not a DSLR. It has bunch of preset functions and features and a bunch more manual features and functions. My wife wanted more of P&S, but I wanted something more advanced so I could experiment and learn more about taking good, quality photos. This was our comprimise family Hanukkah/Christmas preset to ourselves.

Thanks for the video and the thread link. I'll check them out.

Last edited:

psfracer

billy badass
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
That is a decent camera, you can take some good pictures with that.

You just have to learn about composition and lighting mostly--and most importantly know all of the functions of that camera. Learn to fill the frame with your subject (in most cases) and take pictures without a billion things going on in the background that distracts the viewer from the subject.

07TGGT

@user
Reaction score
Aperture (f stop/lens opening), Shutter Speed (exposure), and Sensitivity (ISO). Once you understand how they effect photographs and learn to use each one properly you will take good photos. A great eye for composition is something that isn't really learned but a natural skill.

KingofQueens

forum member
Reaction score

Ssiptang

forum member
Reaction score
[/IMG]

Any thoughts on this picture?

Looks nice but depth of field is too shallow. Try smaller aperture around 9 if you are capturing something up close. It will capture all the details of turtle and still be able to give you nice background bokeh. If you look at the pavement, you can see how shallow your depth of field is.
Also if you are going to center the object in the frame, it'd be better if it was perfectly symmetrical.

TenSpeed

Boss 227..every damn time
Reaction score
I took that with my phone while squatting down and holding the phone fairly close to what I thought was centered. Not too bad. :)

10GreyGT

Reaction score
To really learn you need to shoot in manual mode. That the "M" setting on the dial. Change one thing at a time (shutter speed/aperture/ISO) and see how it affects the image.

See if your local tech/vocational school has a class. They are usually inexpensive ~$150 and you can ask any questions and get direct hands on teaching.

Hit the photo forums and look for people in/around your area to go on group shoots with or learn from.

Stay away from weddings :ugh1:

joe_momma

forum member
Reaction score
My wife got a DSLR last year and has been having a blast with it. The best thing you can do is learn to use the manual mode as suggested. Watch YT videos. There are some really good ones. She also took a class at a local church, it was very inexpensive, like $40 and lasted 6 weeks I think. By the time the class rolled around, she was already familiar with all the manual mode settings and how they affected the image.

10GreyGT

Reaction score
Regarding the turtle picture and speaking of in camera only, not editing:

If i were me, I would have used a bigger (smaller number) aperture.

Reason:
I don't know what you were going for with the house in the background or it was there and you didn't notice/care. But for me the house/background doesn't do anything for the image. Knowing that the depth of field is 1/3ish forward and 2/3ish rear of the focal point I would have tried the shot with a 2.8 and focused on the shell right above the head to see how that turned out. Blur out the background as much as possible.

I don't like "rules of photography" or "absolutes" but you *always* want the eyes in focus.

TenSpeed

Boss 227..every damn time
Reaction score
That turtle picture was taken by me, on a paved path that I commute to work on my bike on. The turtle was in the process of crossing the path when I stopped. I shot that photo with my Moto X cell phone, not a camera. I squatted down and eyeballed it, tried to get him centered, and pressed the screen. There were no settings adjusted, nothing other than auto focus turned on, and the flash in auto mode. That is it. If I had a regular camera, and felt like moving the turtle so that the background was nicer, I would have done so. For it being a cell phone shot, from a phone that supposedly has a less than awesome camera, I think that it turned out pretty badass.

10GreyGT

Reaction score
That turtle picture was taken by me, on a paved path that I commute to work on my bike on. The turtle was in the process of crossing the path when I stopped. I shot that photo with my Moto X cell phone, not a camera. I squatted down and eyeballed it, tried to get him centered, and pressed the screen. There were no settings adjusted, nothing other than auto focus turned on, and the flash in auto mode. That is it. If I had a regular camera, and felt like moving the turtle so that the background was nicer, I would have done so. For it being a cell phone shot, from a phone that supposedly has a less than awesome camera, I think that it turned out pretty badass.

It's all good man. Wasn't "attacking" just a offering a alternate perspective on the image. I thought this was a thread for discussion of learning to take better pictures.

I agree for a cell camera it's a nice snapshot.

EDIT: So I went back and re-read the thread...TENSPEED, I had you and the OP mixed up on who wanted to learn and who had the camera. Regardless, maybe what I wrote RE: the turtle image will offer a different perspective to someone.

Last edited:

10GreyGT

Reaction score
Also, I would like to learn more about lighting and when to take the best pictures.

Bright sun light?
Shoot the image with the sun at your back *typically*. There are some exceptions though.
sb2web.jpg

Not sunlight but bright light:
fireborderorangeweb.jpg

What about indoor shots?
The more light the better *typically*. Depending on what ISO your camera starts to degrade the image at, what you are shooting and the effect. Shot indoors:
photosniperweb.jpg

Objects traveling at higher speeds? Sports? Drag racing, etc...
Again, it depends on what the effect you want. Do you want to "freeze" the car/ball/etc or show it in motion? To freeze the object (ignoring aperture and ISO for the moment) you want to use a fast shutter. to show motion blur you would use a slower shutter and pan with the object. For fireworks use a slow shutter and tripod. Examples:
12229web2.jpg

dirt125web.jpg

dl1web.jpg

potwweb.jpg

fw3web.jpg

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back