PIONEER DMH-1500NEX

WVOHVANCFL

Reaction score
FWIW Department:
I finally got around to installing my new stereo / GPS / Back-up Camera / Phone in my 2006 GT Convertible. It is the Pioneer DMH-1500NEX. I bought it from Crutchfield mid summer, and paid around $500, including a custom wiring harness for the Mustang and the separate back-up camera. BTW, evidently Crutchfield doesn't stock this anymore, but I checked eBay, and there are plenty starting at $250 and up. If you buy from eBay, you may still get able to get the custom harness from Crutchfield (or elsewhere?), but I don't know that. If you don't use a custom harness, it will involve soldering, or butt-connections.
Also, there's a custom kit for mounting the new unit (double-DIN) where the OEM unit was (mach500?)
I was in no hurry, and ended up with probably 8 hours over 2 days actually doing the un-install and installation, including running the wiring for the back-up camera (into trunk, pick-up brake light signal to activate - connect ground in trunk, and run camera feed along existing harness and into rear of console from under rear seat) .
Crutchfield support was great - I probably called them 5 times just to make sure I was tracking with the instructions, and then also about some set-up questions. I only had to take it apart once (do-over) when I realized I had not plugged in the antenna lead (no FM reception). I had to take some factory zip ties off of the antenna lead (behind the glove compartment) to effectively lengthen it to reach the unit.
You might say it's "plug and play", but I was very deliberate with the install as to not "f^@k" it up. Not easy, but fairly straight forward.
The touchscreen mirrors my iphone12, so I can choose Pandora, Spotify, Maps, Waze, etc. Back-up camera is a super addition.
This unit essentially brings my GT up to speed with my wife's Honda Pilot as far as touchscreen capabilities.

pass1over

I like it LOW
Reaction score
I have the exact same unit installed in my 2012. Did you use the Maestro unit to retain steering wheel controls?

I've had some issues with mine, had it about 1.5 years now. It acts odd sometimes, freezes occasionally. Also, I get this little box that appears in the lower left hand corner of screen, looks like a button, with the letter i in the middle. You can not press it, I lose all sound and functionality, but the song timer keeps going. Lost my door subs for about 2 days, then they just started working again on their own.

All firmware is up to date and i've factory reset the radio twice, all of these things just randomly occur still.

WVOHVANCFL

Reaction score
The only control on my steering wheel is the cruise control, and not related to the stereo.
It's all good now - 5 days in! I drove to a car auction today, and used all the features.
I like it a lot. hopes it hangs in for the long haul.
Rich

cavero

forum member
Reaction score
The only control on my steering wheel is the cruise control, and not related to the stereo.
It's all good now - 5 days in! I drove to a car auction today, and used all the features.
I like it a lot. hopes it hangs in for the long haul.
Rich
I've got one of pioneer's DVD Android Auto/ car play radios and it's been holding up great for a couple years now. Just don't take the faceplate off unless you have to (if yours has a removable one). I've had flickering issues with mine not seating right on the connector pins. Was almost unusable a week ago, so I took it off and reinstalled it and its been fine since. But the issues only started up after I took it off initially.

litespd

Reaction score
FWIW Department:
I was in no hurry, and ended up with probably 8 hours over 2 days actually doing the un-install and installation, including running the wiring for the back-up camera (into trunk, pick-up brake light signal to activate - connect ground in trunk, and run camera feed along existing harness and into rear of console from under rear seat) .

I bought a used Pioneer AVIC-8500NEX unit to put in my 07 Shelby GT. Right now, the only wire I don't know where to run is that "Reverse Gear Signal Input" wire that runs off of the harness. Did you ground that? Everything I watch on YouTube about installing a backup camera makes no mention of this wire coming off the Pioneer unit, and I haven't found anyone that can tell me where I need to run it. Any help would be appreciated!

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back