Plug change interval

white05gt

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Ouch, sounds like they factor in a couple broken ones and if the tech lucks out and gets them all out in one piece, the dealer pockets the money.

white_lightning

forum member
Reaction score
Wrong...My dealer said if one broke it was on them:hi:
Our service dept would charge the customer...Direct from Ford the spark plug change interval

Normal condition - 90,000 miles
Severe conditions - 60,000 miles

I found that on Fords Maintenance Pricing System, as a I am service advisor.

Sinotis

forum member
Reaction score
The shops that guarantee not to break a plug remove them on a hot engine with an impact gun. Its the opposite of what ford says to do and most people will freak out over this method. A lot of money has been made by making you not pay extra even if a plug breaks. The extractor tool does work great but when it doesn't the head has to come off.

white05gt

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
The shops that guarantee not to break a plug remove them on a hot engine with an impact gun. Its the opposite of what ford says to do and most people will freak out over this method. A lot of money has been made by making you not pay extra even if a plug breaks. The extractor tool does work great but when it doesn't the head has to come off.

I can see the shop explaining why the threads came with the plug:thud:

AirGoNomyk

Owned by a 3 legged dog
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Our service dept would charge the customer...Direct from Ford the spark plug change interval

Normal condition - 90,000 miles
Severe conditions - 60,000 miles

I found that on Fords Maintenance Pricing System, as a I am service advisor.

I don't get that...so if i take my car to your shop to have say, my wheels balanced and you guys break off a stud, you're gonna charge me for the fuck up?

Doesn't seem right to me, I guess that's why repair shops are held in such high regard.

Sinotis

forum member
Reaction score
Thats a fucking horrible ideal.

I knew people would get upset about this method. Its proven to work at most dealerships. All the people who will now come on here and say it doesn't work has never tried it or have never talked to someone who usues this method. Hopefully someone will back me up. I have yet to see a plug broken this way. Almost always breaks on high mileage cars using the normal method.

white_lightning

forum member
Reaction score
I don't get that...so if i take my car to your shop to have say, my wheels balanced and you guys break off a stud, you're gonna charge me for the fuck up?

Doesn't seem right to me, I guess that's why repair shops are held in such high regard.

Breaking a wheel stud we'd look after if it is our own negligence that caused it. Or of we drive a car onto a hoist on pop a tire of course we will take care of it. We do follow the various TSB's and Special Service Messages pertaining to spark plug removal however there are times where plugs do break off through no fault of the technician, its a design issue that causes the problem. Tough situation all around and it sucks when it happens. However why should the techs have to work for free because of Fords poor design?

waketek516

Pedal to the Metal!
Reaction score
However why should the techs have to work for free because of Fords poor design?

:wtf1: :wtf1: :wtf1:
The Techs aren't working for free. They get paid the same wage no matter what the cost of the job. Why should the customer have to pay out more because of a poor design????

Riptide

Will work for Mustang.
Reaction score
They never issued a recall on this sort of thing because of the fact that it deals with so many cars and it isn't a safety/liability issue. They would lose a TON of money if they had to do the TSB for every car. So they don't. And they (typically) won't.

goldenpony

forum member
Reaction score
Gig, the extended has a $100 deductable.

Also, from what I have read, dealers will not fix broken spark plugs (even if they break them) under warranty.
I broke one at like 37K miles. I had the car hauled to the dealer where they broke 5 more. I was handed a bill for over $600. I eventually got the full amount back, but it was a very unusual case. :rant:
Just thought you ought to know.

tyler_2118

forum member
Reaction score
are the spark plugs that come from the whipple kit 1 piece or 2

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back