Plugged Cat Carnage

ILW84U

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Here are some pics of the carnage that can happen when your cats plug.

Pistons & cylinder 8.

Piston 8b.JPG

Piston 8a.JPG

Cylinder 8.JPG

Pistons & cylinder 7.

Piston 7a.JPG

Piston 7b.JPG

Cylinder 7.JPG

Swarzkopf

forum member
Reaction score
Holy. Shit.

Good reason to go catless! DAMN!

What caused them to clog for you- too rich for too long?

fdjizm

Drag Queen
Reaction score
WTF is it blown engine season!!??
and yea this is why I have no cats, that's pretty shitty man.
What happened?

Swarzkopf

forum member
Reaction score
This thread is 'noiding me big time. I'm ready to install an off-road pipe tommorow now.

I was going to try to stay cat'd...but this doesn't bode well. I know my tune is really, really rich right now too.

Steedman07

Classified's Moderator:)
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Sorry to hear OP. That sucks, and it was forged...uggghh.. I got rid of my cats 1 month after I got blown 3 years ago.

ILW84U

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
It happened at the track at about the 1/8 mile. I'm not sure of the cause but it could have been from using the transbrake & converter to launch or from running meth. The crazy thing was I had concerns about running cats but figured without using my 2 step I figured I would be OK. I guess I was wrong! I was looking for some mufflers to weld in to replace the cats because my car was too loud & I wasn't in a panic. I probably should have been. The cats have now been replaced with some Magnaflow mufflers. It's hard to believe but the car idled pretty good on 6 cylinders!

Steedman07

Classified's Moderator:)
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Do you use meth for power or do did you not tune for it? And do you have a flow light or gauge?

808muscle

forum member
Reaction score
I have read way too many threads about plugged cats and FI and what can happen. This is why I cut those bastards out after I got my SC. Sorry to see this happened to you OP. I have two sets of resonators on mine to quiet it down some, no way cats are gonna see my car ever again.

Rasmus

forum member
Reaction score
Instead of starting another thread, I'll just add this picture I took tonight after having pulled my stock mid-pipe. I hate cats.

OP, sorry to see your misfortune.

2011-06-21_22-09-23_352.jpg

8306gt

forum member
Reaction score
Out of curiosity how did you determine this was caused by clogged cats? Not saying it wasn't, but to me it just looks like good old fashion detonation wiped out the engine, which in turn could have wiped out the cats. If the car is tuned well cats could live at 16 psi, however if you are burning fuel in the exhaust or using a two step and having backfires or explosions in the exhaust they certainly won't last. In any case good luck finding out what the cause was and with the rebuild.

Swarzkopf

forum member
Reaction score
Where does the boost gauge read from? Did you see a massive spike in boost right before the kaboom?

ILW84U

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Do you use meth for power or do did you not tune for it? And do you have a flow light or gauge?

The meth was used more for security than for power. Easier than running race fuel since the car is street driven and yes it was tuned for it. The flow light is in the garage waiting for install.

What kind of cats plugged? OEM or aftermarket? I'm guessing aftermarket.

Aftermarket. Whatever ARH uses with their set up.

Out of curiosity how did you determine this was caused by clogged cats? Not saying it wasn't, but to me it just looks like good old fashion detonation wiped out the engine, which in turn could have wiped out the cats. If the car is tuned well cats could live at 16 psi, however if you are burning fuel in the exhaust or using a two step and having backfires or explosions in the exhaust they certainly won't last. In any case good luck finding out what the cause was and with the rebuild.

I really don't know for sure which happened first but assume it was the cats. Never had detonation problems before & the car was running fine.

1lowtoy

forum member
Reaction score
Looks like a lean condition to me (which would also have taken out the cats).

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back