Possible Electrical issue

2k05gt

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I replaced the interior map lights with LEDs and now I noticed that the lights are very dim while doors are closed. I was wondering if this could be related to an issue that was seen several years ago. When 2005-2007 S197s were parked for the winter for more than a couple months the battery would drain. So It got me thinking that Incandescent (filament) lights will not light up until the voltage is at a specific level, say 4v then the lights would light up. But since LEDs are very low power and don't need a lot of power to light up could there be an issue with the lighting circuit/Timer-Dimmer?

20130718_053828_zpsf464cd6a.jpg

any ideas how to fix?

05moneypit

forum member
Reaction score
Have you ever had any SJB issues? Remember the way the car is wired there will always be 12v at the device, the ground is switched via the SJB to complete the circuit. Measure voltage drop across the light with it switched off, should measure 0V, with the light on it should measure close to battery voltage.

2k05gt

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Have you ever had any SJB issues? Remember the way the car is wired there will always be 12v at the device, the ground is switched via the SJB to complete the circuit. Measure voltage drop across the light with it switched off, should measure 0V, with the light on it should measure close to battery voltage.

I had the window seal leak that allowed water to drip on the SJB but I never had it replaced since it did not fail. (per Ford)

Since the light had 12V constant and is switched by the ground I would then have to assume that the SJB may have a short due to water? or corrosion due to water at one time?

Thanks

05moneypit

forum member
Reaction score
Check the connector C2280f on the SJB. It is the top connector on the back side of the SJB. It is a 26 pin connector. Pin 26 is feed(12v signal), pin 25 is return(ground) for the overhead console lights. If you have access to an electrical manual there is a schematic on page 89-1 and on 102-1.

Not really sure what to think you might find. Wire 25 is LG/YE and that is the wire that is switched (to ground)by the SJB to turn the lights on and off when you open the door or use the dimmer switch. When you push the button on the console for the lights it just grounds it through a second path and that is ground G204 and it is in the drivers side foot well, that ground really wouldn't have anything to do with the lights being dim though.

You could check and see what the ohm reading to ground is from pin 25 (in the box not the connector) with the doors closed and interior lights off it should be open, if it isn't then there is most likely something wrong in the SJB.

I have been trying for years to get my hands on a junk SJB so I could tear it apart and see what is in one.

Good Luck.

Lee

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back