Project Break a Boss

W3bb3r04

Slow 3v Member
Reaction score
Yes, this is what I was referring to. They sell little brushes to pass through the oil passages to clean them when assembling an engine. I suppose you could use compressed air in the passages/circuits as well.

Example of a typical crank oil circuit. (Photo not specific to 5.0 coyote)
image114.jpg
There's are holes in the cranks on every journal that can be sprayed with mineral spirits and then blown out. That should get all the foreign material out. Wait to do this until after all crank work has been done at machine shop.

ford20

forum member
Reaction score
First off, sorry to hear this happened, especially to a Boss. Second, great write up! Is this the first time you have done an engine tear down like this?

Yes sir! First time I am ever doing something like this so lets see if I can put it back together now and get it to run haha.

There's are holes in the cranks on every journal that can be sprayed with mineral spirits and then blown out. That should get all the foreign material out. Wait to do this until after all crank work has been done at machine shop.

Thanks for the tip! I will probably see if RGR can do that for me as well haha.

KrisR

forum member
Reaction score
Sorry if I missed it somewhere, but why isn't this just being fixed under warranty by Ford? Heavily modified or? Just curious. Thanks for all the detailed info, good thread.

ford20

forum member
Reaction score
What is the easiest way to get the main caps out of the engine? I have just been pulling on them and have been able to get 1-3 out in about 10 minutes each but 4 and 5 are being stubborn. How do you suggest taking them out?

W3bb3r04

Slow 3v Member
Reaction score
I usually hit the cap side to side with a brass or rubber mallet and work it until it comes loose. They are definitely a PITA when disassembling a factory engine for the first time it seems.

ford20

forum member
Reaction score
Sorry if I missed it somewhere, but why isn't this just being fixed under warranty by Ford? Heavily modified or? Just curious. Thanks for all the detailed info, good thread.

When I bought the car I was told that the warranty would be up in 6 months or there was no warranty but they would give me a 6 month reprieve. Either way I think they were just trying to sell me an extended warranty. The car had a tune on it and that was it and because it was an engine issue I didn't want to go back and forth trying to get it covered under warranty plus as Mike said it's time to build it better and badder as had always been the plan.

So sorry to see this happen to you. Build it better and badder!

For sure! I am hoping that when I am done I can get over 500 to the wheels. If I can make 520 would be ecstatic since I'm staying n/a.

Well, you definitely broke it...

You can say that haha.

I usually hit the cap side to side with a brass or rubber mallet and work it until it comes loose. They are definitely a PITA when disassembling a factory engine for the first time it seems.

That's pretty much what I did. Number 5 was being a dirty whore and didn't want to come out at all. I finally got enough daylight and all I could think about was putting a little bit of c4 in the gap and blow the fucking thing out but after about 45 minutes of wrestling with it I finally got it.

20141120_191919_zpseurvfite.jpg

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
With a 4.6 there is enough room on the sides to pry the cap up. Does the 5.0 not have the "pry space"?

ford20

forum member
Reaction score
With a 4.6 there is enough room on the sides to pry the cap up. Does the 5.0 not have the "pry space"?

Do you mean these areas?

20141116_185330_zpsdp04ebcv.jpg

If so, what have you used to pry them out? I spent a while trying to get something big enough to fit in there so I could try and pry them out that way but to no avail outside of using my hands.

slagburn

forum member
Reaction score
Do you mean these areas?

20141116_185330_zpsdp04ebcv.jpg

If so, what have you used to pry them out? I spent a while trying to get something big enough to fit in there so I could try and pry them out that way but to no avail outside of using my hands.

MAY40152.jpg

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
They are different on a 4.6 but basically yes, that's where I'd pry them up. Are those jack screws on the side?

ford20

forum member
Reaction score
They are different on a 4.6 but basically yes, that's where I'd pry them up. Are those jack screws on the side?

Nope. I thought there they were but after asking around and doing a search I found that there weren't any.

ford20

forum member
Reaction score
Since I was sick and I had no energy to try and pull out the main caps, the first thing I did was get to work on the oil pump. After removing all the screws for the oil pump I opened her up hoping to find it shattered or cracked but as usual I was let down here. Here is what it looked like when I opened it up.

20141118_175656_zpsozrpfxrs.jpg

After taking a good look at it I didn’t see any cracks or anything like that but I did notice what we now know is bearing material on the inner and outer gears of the oil pump. I don’t see any scratches, cracks, gouges, brakes etc. in the oil pump gears so they should be good even though they will be being replaced in the build with a set of TSS gears.

20141118_175817_zpsg8hfk5o0.jpg

20141118_180126_zps488w393j.jpg

Once I gained my strength back I decided to finish off tearing the block down to nothing, so I got to work on pulling the last 2 caps out. #4 came out fairly smooth (about 5 minutes of back and forth while pulling up at the same time) while #5 was decidedly more stubborn. In all honesty I felt like blowing it out with some C4 since it seemed to be coming out 1/16th of an inch every 4 minutes. After quite some time and wrestling, out it came and I was able to take a look at the crank. I didn’t notice any odd or unusual marks outside of what appears to be some marks from when the crankshaft was balanced so I didn’t take any pictures. But if you guys want pictures of my shaft you will have to get in line.

Anyway, I pulled out the bearings and from the top they looked decent, some minor scoring on them but the bottom side looked like there were some wear marks on them.
20141121_184313_zpsh63xmhyn.jpg

20141121_184319_zpsriluwfal.jpg

20141121_184323_zpsge0q6s1j.jpg

20141121_184328_zps30ivmnza.jpg

20141121_184332_zpsuilu13f6.jpg

I tried to get a picture of all of them together to save some space but you can see for yourself. #3 & #4 both had the part numbers wiped out from them and it looks like the little tab was being worn down as well. All of the caps had these weird spots on the bottom that were completely smooth as opposed to this criss-cross pattern that seems to be made that way. If you look at the overhead view you can somewhat make out what I am talking about especially looking at the right hand side of the #3 bearing (order goes left to right so #1 on the far left and #5 on the far right).

20141121_184517_zpshdfx5yvz.jpg

20141121_184530_zpshnjdahtf.jpg

Can anyone tell me if this is normal? It looks like there is some sort of scoring on the #5 main (I guess that is what you would call it).

20141121_184633_zpsbnom8i3n.jpg

Outside of that the block is completely torn down with nothing left on it. Now we are going onto the cleaning phase. I think that the internal side of cleaning will be taken care of when it comes time to machine the block as well put the liners in it but I will find out for sure when I get the quote from JPC.

• Oil Pump – 8 x T30
  • Rear Main Seal Plate 6 x 10mm

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
Are you thinking that some of the bearings spun a little? Or that the tab and number wearing was from something else like an out of round (excess runout) crank or detonation?

ford20

forum member
Reaction score
Are you thinking that some of the bearings spun a little? Or that the tab and number wearing was from something else like an out of round (excess runout) crank or detonation?

I was thinking that maybe runout but I don't know much about it. I have only heard of it once or twice before but I have never seen any examples of it but with the marks on the 2 or 3 of the mains (more pronounced on #5) I was thinking maybe the crankshaft was moving forward and backwards once or twice causing the bearings to spin or maybe the spun bearings caused the crankshaft to move forward and backward.

I really don't know enough about any of this to give an educated guess one way or the other though.

Count

forum member
Reaction score
Damn Sean, sorry for your misfortune man, that sucks!

On the other hand, great job with the detailed write-up. GL with the rebuild :thumb:

kdanner

forum member
Reaction score
I was thinking that maybe runout but I don't know much about it. I have only heard of it once or twice before but I have never seen any examples of it but with the marks on the 2 or 3 of the mains (more pronounced on #5) I was thinking maybe the crankshaft was moving forward and backwards once or twice causing the bearings to spin or maybe the spun bearings caused the crankshaft to move forward and backward.

I really don't know enough about any of this to give an educated guess one way or the other though.

I don't see the thrust bearing above, what does it look like?

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back