Project Break a Boss

Shotokan1509

forum member
Reaction score
I tried renting a trailer from UHaul and they said my truck wasn’t good enough to tow my car so I will have to find another trailer to tow it down there soon.

Huh? Don't you have the ecoboost, I'd think you'd have more than enough. I know it's 10yrs ago and things change but I towed my b4000 4x4 extended cab pickup on a uhaul trailer behind an 05ish gmc1500 for 130 miles (Pocono's to Poughkeepsie so some decent highway grades) and they didn't even blink

AR Stang

forum member
Reaction score
tell them youre towing a 90s civic and theyll rent to you

This.
You have to lie to them, or they think nothing can be moved via a trailer. Last time I rented from Uhaul I had to tell them I was hauling my old 93 Geo Metro convertible since neither the Ford or Chevy V8 trucks I had according to them could handle moving the mustang. Used the Geo as a fill in when I moved my old Dart too since a car with no motor or transmission can't be pulled by a truck they thought.

ford20

forum member
Reaction score
Huh? Don't you have the ecoboost, I'd think you'd have more than enough. I know it's 10yrs ago and things change but I towed my b4000 4x4 extended cab pickup on a uhaul trailer behind an 05ish gmc1500 for 130 miles (Pocono's to Poughkeepsie so some decent highway grades) and they didn't even blink

Yep! It should tow 9700lbs., but I guess they think a Mustang weighs 7000lbs. or something. Makes no sense to me haha.

tell them youre towing a 90s civic and theyll rent to you

I will use that or the Geo Metro and try and get one rented. The sooner I get it rented the better!

ford20

forum member
Reaction score
I got my battery box all done and completed this weekend. I got a 3/16 center hole punch and put it into my drill and drilled a hole into the nylon strap for the rivet to go through and then melted the nylon to prevent it from fraying or anything then like.

I used some chalk lines to then line up a nice area where the nylon strap will come through the piece of carbon that is attached to the battery tray. It came out pretty good and it is a lot tighter than it may look in the picture.

26166271111_b09dd112dd_b.jpg

25629890953_83b44f06fa_b.jpg

From there I ended up cutting a third hole in the Carbon fiber so that I can access the third bolt that goes in bottom on the right of the tray. I got everything mounted and it looks pretty good! I still have to get some of the fabric electrical tape and retape everything so that it look a lot cleaner than it currently does.

25627813154_ce79169871_b.jpg

ford20

forum member
Reaction score
This happened on Wednesday the 20th, but I have just been so slammed at work that it has taken me a while to get this all written up.

First things first, I needed to get the car washed. It had been sitting outside for about 6 or 7 months since its last wash and was look pretty crappy, so I gave it a bath and realized how much correction I am going to have to do to this car once I get it back. It is bad!!

26550569451_106e2a5de7_b.jpg

Although it does look good in the shade!!

26589913916_b81a6ed250_b.jpg

I also got to cleaning my wheels with Polish Angel Mint+ and I have to say HOLY CRAP!! I used nothing but the Mint+ on one wheel and went through too much product doing it that way, but the wheels came out amazing! The pictures don't really do it justice IMO.

You can see how nice the face of the wheel looks compared to the barrel of the wheel before cleaning it.

26616031155_42dcf0ac61_b.jpg

Don't mind the black mark, that is just old glue from the old wheel weights. The wheels looked unbelievable when I was done with them. Like they were brand new, I was impressed.

26342861590_9463b7820c_b.jpg

Even though I have been told by a couple of people that I didn't have to worry about supporting the front of the transmission, I figured it best to do so. I just grabbed a 2x4 and some zip ties and supported the front of the transmission.

26010571004_a1659e27f8_b.jpg

I have a new slave cylinder so the old one will be replaced shortly. I loaded up the trunk with everything I could fit in there and then put the driveshaft and over axle pipes in the back of the pickup, ran down to U-Haul and grabbed the trailer. I have to say, it certainly was an adventure getting the car onto the trailer but it went on haha.

26495470961_ef70e384d7_b.jpg

26561552575_14dd32fa31_b.jpg

Me and my buddy Franky Lap (Paladin LL 06) got up at 5 to bring the trailer down to JPC in Maryland. It is about a 4 1/2 hour drive from NY down to there. The only issues was that a cable snapped on the Delaware Memorial Bridge and they only had one lane open so it took us 2 hours to go all of 8 miles which sucked balls. We should have been down there at around 9:45, but got there at 11:30 instead.

26495470921_131f1ecd39_b.jpg

We got down there and Aaron was nice enough to give us a tour of their shop and I have to say that this place is the real deal. The amount of cars they have there and the projects they had going on was crazy. They had a couple cars getting some hellion kits installed, one S550 was having his motor rebuilt looking for a 4 digit power number, another one was getting the rearend tubbed so he could tuck 315s under the fenders, one was a turbo or twin turbo lightning, they just did a GT500 with custom grind cams and finished the tuning on it a few days before hand, then he went on pointing out the cars they had there saying this is an 8 second car, that is an 8 second car, 8 second, 9 second 3V, 8 second cars here there & everywhere! Jeff Polivka's Boss was getting some work done to it and looking for win #2 in Maple Grove, Jesse Porter's GT500 was there with the exhaust coming out the hood which was badass! John Kauderer had his Cobra Jet there, Lance Rainey had his Boss at JPC for some work (You might remember him from the GTR vs. Boss 302 video that caused a lot of butt hurt GTR fans), Clint Bates was getting his Blue Boss worked on with a setup that was similar to Jeff Polivka's if I am remembering correctly. TJ Lapinski had his Coyote swapped New Edge there for some work. Ronnie Reynolds car was just hanging out in the background. They had everything there, a bunch of coyotes, a couple 3V's, a classic (67 IIRC), some GT500's, a lightning, a few motors being built (my motor, 2 other coyotes from what I can remember, I thought I saw a 2V there as well but I'm not 100% certain about that), they had a Viper, a SRT8 Grand Cherokee and a Dakota pickup as well. They work on anything and everything! Tommy was wrapping up some of their turbo kits for shipping and everyone was pretty busy. I wish I took some pictures though. This was the one that Franky got after we unloaded the car.

26495470341_a9c9135a8f_b.jpg

26012110484_fae5cceba5_b.jpg

They have the most badass Boss on the planet there so lets hope that when they are done with it, mine will be the most badass N/A Boss as well. Now we just play the waiting game. They had a few cars to finish up before Maple grove along with the cars that were there before me. I am just waiting on D Mark Performance to send me back my intake manifold so I can get it back down to them for the motor.I told them that I would like the car back before Carlisle this way I can finally have it back. I don't want to have to go to Carlisle again without my car. It really sucked the first time. I will have them do 2 tunes for me. One, 93 octane w/ cats and the second E85 without cats for my racing tune. I'm probably conservatively expecting like 520-530 on the 93 tune, but if I can get 580 out of the E85 tune I will happier than a pig in shit for sure!! :clap:

Paladin LL 06

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
That was a great trip Sean. The tour of the facility was awesome. Man, the cars they had there were unreal. Now I see why you went there brother!!! I may be going back for a JPC twin turbo setup!!!!!!

ford20

forum member
Reaction score
Sweet! Damn that's a lot of HP sitting there in that last pic!

For sure it is!! Probably somewhere between 5-6,000HP easily!!

That was a great trip Sean. The tour of the facility was awesome. Man, the cars they had there were unreal. Now I see why you went there brother!!! I may be going back for a JPC twin turbo setup!!!!!!

No doubt!! That would be pretty sick on your car and you wouldn't have to worry about Koby talking shit hahaha. You didn't have a reason to in the first place though.

haydenbjj

Reaction score
i just came across this thread and power-read all 13 pages. was expecting it to be done by the end, but at least it seems like your close. GL man.

ford20

forum member
Reaction score
i just came across this thread and power-read all 13 pages. was expecting it to be done by the end, but at least it seems like your close. GL man.

Hahaha thanks! I was hoping to be done this time last year so I know the disappointment you felt haha.

ford20

forum member
Reaction score
Well, I ordered a set of Steeda Boss lowering springs in preparation for putting new wheels and tires on the car. I'm hoping for power in the 530-580 range so I am going to need to have some much larger rubber in order to handle the added power. As is the case with most everything that I do, I have to complicate things. Since I am going to be doing the wheels and tires, I would like to go as wide as I can so this has created some dilemmas for me.

My problems are that I am trying to find a wheel/tire combo that is lightweight (I would like to stay <24lbs.), wide, & that I actually like. This is complicating things for me a bit as I can't really find many wheels that I like that fit these criteria. So, this is where I need your help if you wouldn't mind. So here are the wheels I am looking at right now:

26272733124_10b1937fe7_b.jpg

Ford Racing Boss 302S 18x10 wheels

wdmp_100128_1538.jpg

I will admit to the fact that one of my favorite things about these wheels is the fact that they are on the Boss 302S from the factory. You are getting a high quality set of super lightweight wheels that are very strong in nature and they look pretty good. The downside is that they are expensive. I know that I can get look alike wheels on the cheap ie. SVE drifts, AMR whlees, & Apex Designs, but one of the cool things about it was the fact it was a Boss 302S wheel. This brings me to an indecision on tire choices as well. The R888's are an excellent tire on track, in the rain though, they are a terrible tire and hydroplane like crazy. Now, I don't ever plan to drive in the rain, but sometimes these things happen. That brings me to the MPSS which is the lightest wheel and tire combo saving me a total of 55lbs. off of the wheels and tires. The downside of the MPSS is that they will never hold the power I will be making and in addition to the wheels and tires. When it comes to fitting the wheels on the car I might need a spacer for the wheels on the front to possibly clear the factory shocks. If I do need the spacer then I would need to go with the extended lugs as this wouldn't give me enough threads to properly put the lug nuts on the car. If I were to do that I would grab the Cortex large wheel fitment kit which will add another $300 and change to the combo. Due to the weight savings, this is one of my favorite combos, but it is also an 18" wheel that looks way to small on the S197. I almost forgot that a special TPMS sensor is needed for this wheel which BBS has discontinued so in order to use these wheels I would either have to find this TPMS sensor, drill out the wheel to fit the Ford TPMS or run some sort of canister with the TPMS sensors in them and leave them in the car.

Vorshlag 18x11 F14 fitment

_DSC3005-XL.jpg

Why? BC Racecar & 315's all around!!! Well that and a decent amount of weight savings. The 315 tires up front and in the rear would mean massive amounts of grip for turn in and for traction in the rear. While at first the price tag seems pretty good, but then I have to figure in the accessorials like the CC plates for the fronts in order to run the correct amount of negative camber up front for those wheels. In addition to that I have to get my rear axle dead nuts centered in order to get the wheels to fit under the rear fenders and have them fit correctly due to the extreme fitment of these wheels. Now, I could go ahead and just grab an adjustable panhard bar and go sort of cheap on that, but since I will be buying the cortex watts link anyway, I might as well get that and center the axle that way instead of buying a part and then in a few months getting rid of it for something else. So now my cost will up by about $1,100-1,400 which puts it in line with a lot of the other wheel and tire combos. As is, this is still a pretty decent amount of weight savings with the Rival S wheels that I would more than likely choose over the R888's due to the slightly better wet traction and awesome nature of the tire. The R888's are excellent tires, but I think for a non strictly track car, the Rival S's will do pretty **** good. The downside again is the cost, the 18" wheels looking tiny on the S197 body and the high tire wear on the Rival S.

Forgestar CF10 Black Graphite

BlackGraphite-XL.jpg

These wheels have been a long time favorite for me, I love the way that they look and they are reasonably light for a 19" wheel. Seeing as how they are a 19" wheel, it really opens up my tire options for a wide tire that isn't a butt puckerer in the rain. I think the standouts here are the RE-11 and Advan AD08R's which are both supposedly sticker than the MPSS for a slight trade off in wet traction although nothing like the R888's or Rival S's. The downside with these is the weight, they are fantastic tires, but they are both north of 30lbs a tire which is sort of a drag. I'm ok with it although I do wish they were just a wee bit lighter in all honesty. The Pilot Sport Cup 2 tires are among the lightest and best performers of the group, but they suffer from wet performance issues as well once you get below half tread from what I am hearing from Porsche owners. As I said before it is a fair weather car and I tend to travel roughly 5 miles a day usually so am I really making a mountain out of a mole hill when it comes to tires like the R888's, Rival S, Pilot Cup 2 & Trofeo R's? Another downside is there is a guy who has the same exact wheels as these are I would rather not own the same wheels as he does since well he is a bit of a douche from everything I have known of him.

Need 4 Speed Motorsports Project 6GR wheels

12976621_1528720407436052_1159826187_n.jpg

These wheels have the largest number of unanswered questions for me. I mean the fitment is perfect, but these wheels were designed for the S550. I really have no idea what you need in order to fit the tires into the fenders as such, nor do I know how much they weigh. From all accounts they were expected to weigh somewhere between 23-25lbs and the 19x11 came in around 24lbs. so I'm hoping that the 19x10's come in around 23lbs. Even if it is 24 lbs. with the Pilot Sport Cup 2 tires it will come in at 200lbs. for wheels and tires which still saves me about 50lbs. which is still a impressive amount of weight loss. The downsides are the unknowns, this is already an expensive wheel and tire combo and replacing tires often isn't all that enjoyable to me. I could still go with the MPSS and save a decent amount of weight here and be the middle of the pack in terms of weight savings. Right now I am leaning towards these wheels and if all works out, I think these might be the ones to go with after I laid all of the variables minus tread width out in front of me. I have also seen a video where the guy had said they put 345 Nitto NT05R tires on the back of 19x11's!!!

cbass

m̶o̶u̶t̶h̶s̶e̶x̶
Reaction score
Honestly, with the recent complaints about forgestar, I would find another brand. The wait on them is long, and their customer service sucks. And that s2k had a pretty epic failure, so that makes me think they are going downhill.

TaylorGT

forum member
Reaction score
Honestly, with the recent complaints about forgestar, I would find another brand. The wait on them is long, and their customer service sucks. And that s2k had a pretty epic failure, so that makes me think they are going downhill.

That failure was pretty much debunked, no?

I've had zero complaints about Forgestar and I'm on my second set of wheels with them. I order through Paul @ Howey Industries.

ford20

forum member
Reaction score

Yeah I saw that thread. I know that the Vorshlag 18x11 wheels would take probably 2 or 3 months to get since I doubt there are many 18x11 blanks available and I'm not too thrilled about those wheel choices.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/mustang-for...ash=item35fe921d88:g:F88AAOSwbwlXBKPZ&vxp=mtr

Here's half a set of.. boss 302S? Boss 302R? wheels. You'll have to contact the seller. Half price. Then grab another two and bob's your uncle.

Strange how they don't fit on the front.

I wish I was ready to buy right now. That is a steal!! The 18x10's fit up front, but might require a spacer to clear the factory shocks. Mos people who grab these that wide tend ot have aftermarket shocks or coilovers. I'm just doing things backwards haha.

That failure was pretty much debunked, no?

I've had zero complaints about Forgestar and I'm on my second set of wheels with them. I order through Paul @ Howey Industries.

I think so, it was a weaker design from what I can recall correctly and he was hard on the car without checking his wheels. Sucks that it happens though. I think it was like all 4 wheels were fucked, but I forget.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back