Question on rear shock installation

CammedS197

forum member
Reaction score
Okay, probably dumb question but just want to know if I can or not. I have koni shocks to replace the OEM. No jack or jack stands at the moment but I can get under the car just fine backing onto some wood.

Can I with suspension loaded take the stock shocks out and put the konis in? In theory yes I'm sure I can. Springs are holding the car up. Has anyone done this?

Thanks

Juice

forum member
Reaction score
Yes, you can install shocks "at ride height". But it will be a little harder vs jacked up wheel off the ground. The shock is gas charged and will fully extend once you remove the strap. You will have to compress it and install the bolt while holding the shock compressed. With the car off the ground, you would have to compress the shock a lot less.

CammedS197

forum member
Reaction score
Yes, you can install shocks "at ride height". But it will be a little harder vs jacked up wheel off the ground. The shock is gas charged and will fully extend once you remove the strap. You will have to compress it and install the bolt while holding the shock compressed. With the car off the ground, you would have to compress the shock a lot less.
Thanks Juice! I'll try and get that done that way then. Shouldn't be too difficult.

thump_rrr

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
You can buy a pair of 2 ton jack stands at Home Depot for around $22.00.
Is your life or limbs worth more than $22.00?
No part of my body goes under a lifted vehicle without a pair of jack stands.

I had an O2 sensor fail in Ohio a few years ago.
I bought a pair of jack stands at Walmart to get under it. I now have 6 jack stands.
If I’m ever stuck somewhere and need to get under the car again I’ll buy another pair if need be.
A trip to the hospital costs much more.

CammedS197

forum member
Reaction score
I'm thin enough to get under the car without lifting it. Just the rear though. I can easily grab the shocks with the car parked. Plus its not too low.

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back