Race Wheels with or without TPMS?

JerryZ

Reaction score
Maybe this is a dumb question, but I can't really find the answer. I am getting a 2nd wheelset just for autocross and I'm wondering if I really need TPMS. If I put them in, will I only need to program them once and be ok for changing back & forth with the street set or will I need to program with every change? I am inclined to leave them out being I'll only have the light during events. Thanks for the help!

Wes06

forum member
Reaction score
I'd leave them off. Little more weight, money etc

Just check psi which you should be doing anyway and get goin

JerryZ

Reaction score
I agree with your thinking and I'm sure I'll not install them. I'm still curious whether you can change between 2 wheelsets without reprogramming every time or is once all it takes. Suppose it doesn't matter, I'm going to save an unnecessary big expense. Anyone know if Bridgestone is going to make any new sizes for the RE-71R? I'm sure that is the tires I'll get. The 275s will be ok though. Thanks!

cbass

m̶o̶u̶t̶h̶s̶e̶x̶
Reaction score
I change between winter and summer sets without having to reprogram the TPMS. Just bolt up and go, been doing it for 3 years.

csamsh

forum member
Reaction score
No you don't need it. You'll be checking your pressure in between every run anyway

csamsh

forum member
Reaction score
I agree with your thinking and I'm sure I'll not install them. I'm still curious whether you can change between 2 wheelsets without reprogramming every time or is once all it takes. Suppose it doesn't matter, I'm going to save an unnecessary big expense. Anyone know if Bridgestone is going to make any new sizes for the RE-71R? I'm sure that is the tires I'll get. The 275s will be ok though. Thanks!

There's rumblings of 305's....but if you want to go big just do the 315/30/18 Rival S on an 18x11. I've been SUPER impressed with them.

What wheel size are you going with?

JerryZ

Reaction score
I've ordered at set of Apex 18X10s. I like the idea of being able to rotate and I've been out of AX for alot of years, so they should be good with minimal clearance issues. I'm planning on RE-71Rs unless I see something I like better in the next few months.

csamsh

forum member
Reaction score
Yeah 275/35/18 RE71R is the way to go then.

Worth considering....there aren't any classes where a tire that small is competitive outside of F Street....so instead of going with an RE71R, which will wear out pretty damn fast, you might want to think about an RS3 or something that will give you a tad more life.

JerryZ

Reaction score
That is something I am still thinking about. There seems to be a pretty good difference in performance, but also in tire life. That is the one I orig had my eye on. I plan on waiting a few months just to see if anything new shows up and I'll decide then. Very good point!

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back