racestar wheels

IHVOCD

forum member
Reaction score
I'm still up in the air about selling my Foose Nitrous wheels for a set of Racestars.

stangvenom08

forum member
Reaction score
well looks like you have a serious thought to make, well i got rid of my 20s for these 15s i like to go to the track and i like to drive on the street, but i hate swapping back n forth from 20s to my stock 17s i had, so i made up my mind after talking to a bunch of people and looking at the pros and cons of them and bam here i am, yes i have to change my driving habits a little but im happy with my choice, i can drive it and go to track and dont have to swap a thing, i like that, but everyone is different, im curious to see how the skinnys drive in the rain, but idont think it will be that bad, slow down alittle in turns and keep a little distance from the car infront of you and your good. choose wisely

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I've ordered the 15 x 5s that are coming in a few weeks. I'll sacrifice a bit of weight to get the better street manners of a bigger tire.

:2cents:

stangvenom08

forum member
Reaction score
i thought about the 15x5 also but the 15x3.75 really aint too bad down here, very suprised how they handle, the car is not very loose at hwy speeds, just a little in turns, but hell it feels good at 70mph on the interstate.

N

navbtcret

I just drove 300+ miles from Pennsylvania to Michigan on them yesterday with no issues. Running 75-80 mph on the interstate. I also thought about the 15x5's but they were not going to be available before track season started this year so I went with the 3.75's.

They also were great at the track yesterday.

stangvenom08

forum member
Reaction score
Updated info with lug nut/stud issues on racestars. After breaking 3 more studs. Got to looking more and came up with the fix. Lugs are not the issue if it's not a bad casting. For anyone with highly used stock studs that constantly take lugs on and off to swap wheels. Or etc. The studs threads become worn and or slightly pitted. Etc. A new racestar lug on a brand new stud will have no issues. A new racestar lug on a commonly used stud will lock up and break. I race a thread chaser on the remaining 3 wheel hubs with new racestar lugs and went on with no binding. So chase the threads on the hub and install. No issues. I figured out the hard way after breaking 6 but. No issues now

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
got my rears today.. QQ

the washers do have a wheel side stamp on them, so obviously that side goes against the wheel and the thicker portion of the washer should be in the "6" o'clock position?

also the hub rings go onto the wheel or the hub, I've looked on the net and seen both ways recommended.

Thanks

stangvenom08

forum member
Reaction score
put the ring on the car, then put the wheel on, like i was saying after yesterday i broke more studs, if youve taken your wheels off a few time, before you put your new lugs on, run a tap over each stud about 2 times, to make sure they are clean and nothing in the channels, test fit each lug all the way down by hand once you ran a tap over the studs to make sure they will go on with no binding. now heres the tricky part, before you hand tight the first lug put all 5 on all the way down and make sure you fully seat the washer in the hole without it being cocked at an angle. once they are all seated all the way down then finish hand tightning the lugs with a 3/8 ratchet and the supplied socket or any thinwall socket, look at this closly and youll see what i mean as your putting them on, take your time though.

stangvenom08

forum member
Reaction score
yes when you put each lug on in the 6 oclock position, youll see that the fat end of the washer hangs down and thats where it will seat itself flush. if you tighten the first lug before you put the rest on it will be hard cause the, rim cant move around and it will bind. PM me if you have any question more about them. but chase the studs, not the lugs, like i orignally said and youll be ok. post some pics when your done

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
thanks man. I've only taken the wheels off maybe 6 times in 4 years, I'm not sure about running the tap over the studs, never done it and I'm concerned I'd screw them up. I guess I'll have to look them over when I take off the wheels to see.

white05gt

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
thanks man. I've only taken the wheels off maybe 6 times in 4 years, I'm not sure about running the tap over the studs, never done it and I'm concerned I'd screw them up. I guess I'll have to look them over when I take off the wheels to see.

If you are going to chase the threads, go to Sears or whatever tool store you have there and get a thread chasing kit, not a tap and die set. A tap and die set will remove more metal, a thread chaser is for cleaning up existing threads. It's not that hard to do, just don't force them and you will be fine.

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
thanks guys

edit - I inherited a lot of tools from my grandfather who was in the store front business. One of the tools I have and really didnt know what it was is this set:

chasingkit.jpg

I think this is what you're talking about using correct?

Last edited:
N

navbtcret

Just run a 1/2x20 tap through the lug nuts and you'll be fine. Clean out the plating that got on the threads of the lug nuts.

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
that looks like the same thing, just older, chase them, and test fit each lug first then install and enjoy

yeah I bet those are at least 30 years old if not 40+

I'm looking for the proper size to borrow as I don't have a 1/2 x 20 in the die that I have. I may just look at the studs first as they may be in good shape.

I see what you mean about the lugs/washers now as I have them out.

the stud should sit in the hole at the top of the opening when in the 6 o'clock position it seems from looking

IMG00078-20100416-1641.jpg

for anyone else looking a few other pics

IMG00077-20100416-1641.jpg

IMG00080-20100416-1642.jpg

Last edited:

stangvenom08

forum member
Reaction score
yep nice wheel :) yea you see how they have the seat for the washer. weird but interesting design to fit multiple cars. but they work. yea see if you try to tighten the lugs at high noon the washer would fall out the seat and bind, but they look good, post a pic of them on the car so we can see how it sits.

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I didnt get time to put them on today. I'll get them on tomorrow and get her all ready for a race day Friday.

tigerhonaker

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
yeah I bet those are at least 30 years old if not 40+

I'm looking for the proper size to borrow as I don't have a 1/2 x 20 in the die that I have. I may just look at the studs first as they may be in good shape.

I see what you mean about the lugs/washers now as I have them out.

the stud should sit in the hole at the top of the opening when in the 6 o'clock position it seems from looking

IMG00078-20100416-1641.jpg

for anyone else looking a few other pics

IMG00077-20100416-1641.jpg

IMG00080-20100416-1642.jpg

Thanks for the Pics and this is an interesting Thread for sure on the Race Stars and Fitment concerns.

tigerhonaker

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back