racing rims and wheel

NEMustang

Mad Motorsports Products
Reaction score
The Roush 18x10s are 41mm offset.

Why is this not in the tire/wheel forum?

The OP posted in this forum as it pertained to racing...I thought the same. I wasn't sure the best thread to resurrect on this subject as there were some others in the tire/wheel forum. I wanted to avoid the 20" non-racing crowd responses.

$179 for 305 r888?

Where?

http://www.tiresdirect.net/TOYO_Proxes_RA1_305_35ZR18_P2270C200.cfm

275/35/18 - $229
305/35/18 - $179!!!
335/35/18 - $199!!!

305s are $50 less than 275s!

If your budgets alittle looser then try some Enkeis or the BBS race wheels from Ford racing or if your ready for the big leagues Forgeline, Jongbleods or CCWs

Lack of budget on this car...just received my Griggs Severe Duty LCAs and UCAs for my GR350 65 fastback. I'm building my 65 with full (front/rear) Griggs.

Last edited:

NEMustang

Mad Motorsports Products
Reaction score
Since I haven't received any real tech, I thought I'd try myself. I took the front wheel off and measured maximum backspacing using a framing square (Carpenter tools for automotive use...who would have thunk it?!).

I first set the square at 9" at center of the hub (photo is off a little as the square moved whilst trying to take a photo...). 9" on center of the hub gives me an 18" wheel. Read the bottom scale...upside down photo...

Next, I positioned a putty knive square/perpendicular to the strut. I get a maximum of 9.5" of backspacing allowable for a wheel...well, we need clearance so let's say 9". Correction...This would be backspacing + distance to outer edge of the wheel + tire balloon sizing.

A 10" wheel with 45mm offset would be a 7.2" (184mm) back space + 1" extra for a 305mm tire = 8.2". My experience is that the side wall width is somewhat wider than the tread width by as much as 1" per side(I don't have any tech here...may need some help). That would give me 9.2"...would it fit? It would be tighter than a bulls ass in fly season...that's for you Southern boys...

Outside, 10" wheel - 7.2 backspace=2.8 outside forward space/out space...what's the right term here? 2.8" + 1" extra for tire + maybe 1" for side wall = 4.8". I think I measured (no pic) only ~3.75" offset from hub mounting to inner lip of the S197 rolled fender.

Given my rambling, a 10" wheel with 45mm offset would fit just fine. However, fitting the 305/35/18 might be a squeeze...

Can anyone correct my tech/provide better info?

Attachments

• IMG_2719.jpg
    IMG_2719.jpg
    489.1 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_2723.jpg
    IMG_2723.jpg
    489.7 KB · Views: 7

Gray Ghost GT

Road Racing Fanatic!
Reaction score
Did you call Roush yet?? We already know their 18x10 45mm wheels will fit on the front and rear with 275 tires with no problem. They would also know best if a 305 would would clear since they run a race car in the Koni (now Continental) road racing series.

NEMustang

Mad Motorsports Products
Reaction score
Did you call Roush yet?? We already know their 18x10 45mm wheels will fit on the front and rear with 275 tires with no problem. They would also know best if a 305 would would clear since they run a race car in the Koni (now Continental) road racing series.

Yes, but no luck. The racing division and performance parts division do not share tech. As you stated, the 18x10 45mm fit all around with 275 and probably up to 295. However, they thought (but can't confirm) that the 305 may have a fender clearance issue.

I'm going to keep calling other vendors to see if I get an answer from anyone.

Thevesh

Reaction score
Roush Forged wheel 18x10" does not have enough clearance beyond 275 width in front. 295 in rear with no problem though (tested). Its heavy and I would not recommend it for tracking.
Thats why I bought Enkei 18x10" with 38mm offset. Now all around 295/35.

Gray Ghost GT

Road Racing Fanatic!
Reaction score
Roush Forged wheel 18x10" does not have enough clearance beyond 275 width in front. 295 in rear with no problem though (tested). Its heavy and I would not recommend it for tracking.

Can you provide photos of your Enkei 18x10 wheels with 38mm offset on the front and rear with 295/35-18 tires? Which Enkei model did you purchase? You have no clearance issues in the front? How much do they extend beyond the fenders? Do your wheels clear big brake kits, e.g., Wilwood, Stoptech, Brembo, etc.?

Last edited:

Thevesh

Reaction score
Here is the summary:
Wheels are RFP1 18x10" 38mm offset
Tires are Nitto NT05 295/35 R18
Wheels clear for big calipers with no problem at all. I do have Stoptecs. My friend (GT500) got same wheels accommodating 6piston Wilwoods.

At Front I have -2 camber so the wheels do not extend beyond fenders at all. I didn't have any clearance issues apart of under sharp turning my wheels scratched custom made brake cooling pipes which resulted in hissing sound. Those are from some kind of anti fire fabric. My mechanic took care of it.

In rear the wheels do exceed the fenders by 2mm on each side. I think 285/35 are perfect match for our cars with this offset and rim size.

please find pictures attached and excuse the quality I took it with my iPhone.

Cheers,
Jan

Attachments

• IMG_0140.jpg
    IMG_0140.jpg
    125.2 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_0146.jpg
    IMG_0146.jpg
    126.4 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_0152.jpg
    IMG_0152.jpg
    113.4 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_0154.jpg
    IMG_0154.jpg
    112 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_0155.jpg
    IMG_0155.jpg
    99.2 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_0164.jpg
    IMG_0164.jpg
    123.3 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_0165.jpg
    IMG_0165.jpg
    108.3 KB · Views: 42

Ch4r1ie

The Limey Bastard
Reaction score
Here is the summary:
Wheels clear for big calipers with no problem at all. I do have Stoptecs. My friend (GT500) got same wheels accommodating 6piston Wilwoods.

At Front I have -2 camber so the wheels do not extend beyond fenders at all. I didn't have any clearance issues apart of under sharp turning my wheels scratched custom made brake cooling pipes which resulted in hissing sound. Those are from some kind of anti fire fabric. My mechanic took care of it.

In rear the wheels do exceed the fenders by 2mm on each side. I think 285/35 are perfect match for our cars with this offset and rim size.

please find pictures attached and excuse the quality I took it with my iPhone.

Cheers,
Jan

Great set-up, thanks for sharing! :beer:

NEMustang

Mad Motorsports Products
Reaction score
Here is the summary:

Jan,
Thanks for all the great information. I'm still trying for fitment of 305 for the track. It seems that the 42 or 45mm offset wheels that I find will fix the 2mm issue on the rear. I'm still working on calculating the front fender/strut clearance. I am surprised by the 38mm offset and front fender clearance...I guess the negative camber solves that issue.

Now for the big favor...any chance you can turn your front wheels out to the stop and take a pic of the clearance between the wheel/tire and strut? If you could use a tape measure to show the clearance, like my attached photo, I would appreciate it...It's been hard trying to find someone actually running a 18x10" wheel on the front.

I agree that a 285 or 295 would be great, except that the Toyo RA1 come in 275 or 305..no 285 or 295. At the track, I would be running more negative camber than -2 so it seems that outside fitment won't be an issue. My issue will be strut clearance.

Thanks!
David

Attachments

• IMG_2725.jpg
    IMG_2725.jpg
    420.1 KB · Views: 10

NEMustang

Mad Motorsports Products
Reaction score

Re-reading your first response, I realized that you already had a higher offset wheel...some Roush wheels are 45mm and some are 41mm. You mention there was not enough clearance...I assume that you took the 295 rears and attempted to test mount of the front? I assume the clearance issue was with the strut? If so, were these 45mm offset wheels?

Thevesh

Reaction score
You are correct the Roush Forged wheel is 18x10" 45mm offset. I was able to fit maximum 275/40 to the front with that setup. To be honest it was no problem as Roush stage 3 suspension is made for it.

After switching to Steeda adjustable coilovers (Tokico based) it became an issue as wider tires were gently touching the struts. Since then with above metioned Roush Forged wheels I run front 255/40 and rear 295/35 Invos as commuter wheel/tires setup.

marksti

forum member
Reaction score
Jan,
Thanks for all the great information. I'm still trying for fitment of 305 for the track. It seems that the 42 or 45mm offset wheels that I find will fix the 2mm issue on the rear. I'm still working on calculating the front fender/strut clearance. I am surprised by the 38mm offset and front fender clearance...I guess the negative camber solves that issue.

Now for the big favor...any chance you can turn your front wheels out to the stop and take a pic of the clearance between the wheel/tire and strut? If you could use a tape measure to show the clearance, like my attached photo, I would appreciate it...It's been hard trying to find someone actually running a 18x10" wheel on the front.

I agree that a 285 or 295 would be great, except that the Toyo RA1 come in 275 or 305..no 285 or 295. At the track, I would be running more negative camber than -2 so it seems that outside fitment won't be an issue. My issue will be strut clearance.

Thanks!
David
Almost seems like your on a hopeless quest..You want to fit 305s all the way around..on budget wheels and resort to very little mods.

Not to give you greif...Sorry

Why not either stick on some rather cost effective 275/285 tires on 18 by 9.5's or 18 by 10's like most people and get some stickier (more sticky then ra1s) tire like Hoosier or Hankooks?

OR install some Hoosier R6/A6 in the 295s sizing that will fit a 9.5 like Sam has :)

That way, the tires are always gonna be there..you'll have alot of sizes to choose from and you won't have clearance problems

Or spend the $$$ and get custom wheels made or buy a SLA for the front.

I tried cutting corners for awhile in my car..waste of time and $$$..

NEMustang

Mad Motorsports Products
Reaction score
You are correct the Roush Forged wheel is 18x10" 45mm offset. I was able to fit maximum 275/40 to the front with that setup. To be honest it was no problem as Roush stage 3 suspension is made for it.

After switching to Steeda adjustable coilovers (Tokico based) it became an issue as wider tires were gently touching the struts. Since then with above metioned Roush Forged wheels I run front 255/40 and rear 295/35 Invos as commuter wheel/tires setup.

Thanks...Are you saying that the 275s rubbed with Steedas coilovers? I'm looking at the Griggs SS/Ground Control front set up. I'm trying to calcualte what will fit now and the GC setup will give me the extra clearance. GC indicates that they can provide extra 5mm clearance over stock struts.

Almost seems like your on a hopeless quest..You want to fit 305s all the way around..on budget wheels and resort to very little mods.

Not to give you greif...Sorry

Why not either stick on some rather cost effective 275/285 tires on 18 by 9.5's or 18 by 10's like most people and get some stickier (more sticky then ra1s) tire like Hoosier or Hankooks?

OR install some Hoosier R6/A6 in the 295s sizing that will fit a 9.5 like Sam has :)

That way, the tires are always gonna be there..you'll have alot of sizes to choose from and you won't have clearance problems

Or spend the $$$ and get custom wheels made or buy a SLA for the front.

I tried cutting corners for awhile in my car..waste of time and $$$..

Marksti,

No apology necessary...I have read many of your posts and, obviously, you are a valued contribitor. Agreed, but you have to take the journey or learn from others about limits.

As mentioned in a prior post, I am building a '65 with full Griggs suspension...SLA, CO, Torque Arm, Watts etc...Therefore, the $$$ are going into a full track car. This car is a DD that will do 10-15 days of open track for fun...so I'm trying to get the best bang for the buck...You mentioned the cost effective 275s. The Toyo RA1 (a very good tire...not quite Hoosiers R6s) are cheaper for the 305s by $50/tire at only $179. I can buy the 275s right now for $229 and fit them on my current 18X9 wheels.

I want a seperate set of track wheels/tires. There is no problem finding cheap wheel...the cost is weight. The larger tires are discounted right now. If I can use bigger for less, I will. I might just buy the 305s with the 45mm offset. If they don't fit on my s197, I know they will fit on my 65 with flares and Griggs GR350 where I will upgrade the wheels to a true light weight racing wheel and fit on the 305s. I just got word from Cortex Racing (check out these guys...the run Griggs stuff and develop other goodies: http://www.cortexracing.com/ ), they know someone running GC/Griggs coil overs and running 305s. They are trying to find the offset for me.

BTW, your comments are great advice. Most people don't know what they want up front. Most don't know what is possible. Most don't have the $$$ up front to do the best all at once. That's why many of us make incremental changes, many times removing components we purchased, reselling them and buying new, bigger and better...I noticed from the classifieds, that you have gone this route. I only have about $5k to 'play' with on this car...the other $30k is going into the '65 (new motor, tranny, the Griggs, wheels, tire, BBK, etc...)

Thanks for your help! I am enjoying this forum.

Last note...the best money spent is with your ass in the seat...no substitute for track time!

ArizonaGT

Road Course Member
Reaction score
Very interested in getting a set of RPF1s for a second track set in the future...nice info Vesh

foolio2k4

forum member
Reaction score
I have 255/40/19s up front and 285/35/19 rears. I have tein coilovers and the front tires slightly rub against the struts. Its actually shaved off a millimeter or so from the edges.

Back