Random Misfires

RTRBURN

RTRBURN MOTORSPORTS
Reaction score
Got the new engine installed, 60 miles later CEL came on when getting off of exit ramp and push clutch in. The CEL blinks and Car acts like its cutting the fuel and spark out like its limping along. Called dealer, said bring it in when you can. Took to dealer, showed Random Misfires, p302 and p308. They said they don't see misfires happening while its running. They drove it for 20 mins nothing. Said it the exhaust is "too free flowing" for the computer. I told them, the exhaust has been on the car since last September and never had an issue before. They replied with "Its a new motor it and the computer can't handle the exhaust, you may have to have the computer programmed to handle the exhaust"...Actual words out of their mouths. I told them I would call the exhaust installer and see what they say. Which we all know "free flowing" exhaust is not going to cause mis-fires that they are not able to see happening but the CEL comes back on. I called them up this morning and tell them the exhaust is not the issue, but there is a Ford TSB 11-3-31 that describes this exact issue. They disagree with me but are more then glad to take a look....You disagree?...Ford says this is the problem...Why do we get so much flack when going back to the dealer?

Whats your guys take on it? Its driving the wife nuts any time she pushes the clutch in above 3500 rpm just to slow down for a upcoming traffic light, the damn car goes into limp mode.

BAKnBLK2010

Harley Davidson FLHTCI
Reaction score
Have them do the crank relearn procedure. If they didn't re install the crank sensor in the exact same position you will get the limp home mode like you are describing. This procedure does not require a reflash of the pcm so it won't effect your aftermarket tune.

Black 5.0

forum member
Reaction score
I have found nothing in search of 'free flowing exhaust' as a cause for misfire, sounds clueless to me on Ford's part if that is the case. Do a search on that TSB to get proper info on it. There are other causes for your situation, none include 'free flowing exhaust...

Have them do the crank relearn procedure. If they didn't re install the crank sensor in the exact same position you will get the limp home mode like you are describing. This procedure does not require a reflash of the pcm so it won't effect your aftermarket tune.

Good advice!

Last edited by a moderator:

RTRBURN

RTRBURN MOTORSPORTS
Reaction score
I just want to get issue resolved and share with all you guys. I wish Ford would take 100 5.0 owners with and with out mods and find out what the issues are, and address them. I would consider that a win win for both parties. Im a Die Hard Ford Owner, everything I own is a Ford, it's people like myself that are multiple repeat buyers. Work with us and we spread the word to buy Ford!

Entrenched

forum member
Reaction score
Make the dealer repeat the problem with IDS logging and look to see what is actually going on in the car when the misfire is detected. When it goes into limp mode is the double wrench light flashing or staying on or is the CEL? I think the fact the car is going into limp mode is significant and it seems like I read somewhere that it is throttle body related.

RTRBURN

RTRBURN MOTORSPORTS
Reaction score
Entrenched, The CEL only comes on but blinks when motor goes into limp mode. The wrenches never come up. The weird thing is that every time it has happen, you will be in the throttle then need to slow down and you let off the throttle completely and press in the clutch, then the CEL starts blinking and car limps along for 2-3 minutes then CEL goes solid again. What leans me to the TSB mentioned above is because of the Neutral Position. Thanks for you help guys.

5PointOHNO

forum member
Reaction score
Entrenched, The CEL only comes on but blinks when motor goes into limp mode. The wrenches never come up. The weird thing is that every time it has happen, you will be in the throttle then need to slow down and you let off the throttle completely and press in the clutch, then the CEL starts blinking and car limps along for 2-3 minutes then CEL goes solid again. What leans me to the TSB mentioned above is because of the Neutral Position. Thanks for you help guys.

Identical to my problem. Crank position re-learn worked.

Meister

forum member
Reaction score
TSB 11-3-31
03/31/11
5.0L - P0301 THRU P0308 - BUILT ON OR BEFORE
8/16/2010 FORD:
2011 Mustang ISSUE
Some 2011 Mustang vehicles built on or before 8/16/2010 equipped with a 5.0L engine may exhibit the malfunction indicator lamp (MIL) illuminating with one or more diagnostic trouble codes (DTCs) P0301, P0302, P0303, P0304, P0305, P0306, P0307 and/or P0308 present. ACTION
Follow the Service Procedure steps to correct the condition.

SERVICE PROCEDURE
1. Reprogram the powertrain control module (PCM) to the latest calibration using IDS release 72.01 and higher. This new calibration is not included in the VCM 2011.3 DVD. Calibration files may also be obtained at the website. 2. A Misfire Monitor Neutral Profile Correction will need to be learned. Use the scan tool to perform the Misfire Monitor Neutral Profile Correction procedure. From the IDS toolbox select: ^ Powertrain ^ Service Functions ^ Misfire Monitor Neutral Profile Correction ^ Follow prompts NOTE PLEASE ADVISE THE CUSTOMER THAT THIS VEHICLE IS EQUIPPED WITH AN ADAPTIVE TRANSMISSION SHIFT STRATEGY WHICH ALLOWS THE VEHICLE'S COMPUTER TO LEARN THE TRANSMISSION'S UNIQUE PARAMETERS AND IMPROVE SHIFT QUALITY. WHEN THE ADAPTIVE STRATEGY IS RESET, THE COMPUTER WILL BEGIN A RE-LEARNING PROCESS. THIS RE-LEARNING PROCESS MAY RESULT IN FIRMER THAN NORMAL UPSHIFTS AND DOWNSHIFTS FOR SEVERAL DAYS. WARRANTY STATUS: Eligible Under Provisions Of New Vehicle Limited Warranty Coverage And Emissions Warranty Coverage
IMPORTANT : Warranty coverage limits/policies are not altered by a TSB. Warranty coverage limits are determined by the identified causal part.

Entrenched

forum member
Reaction score
I almost asked the same thing, but figured he would have mentioned it.....

RTRBURN

RTRBURN MOTORSPORTS
Reaction score
No Chuck, just Kooks LTs, Kooks Catted X, stock cai and stock factory tune. Waiting till everything is fixed before putting the Steeda stuff and a tune. I haven't changed anything since getting it back from dealer.

The car actually died on my wife today while waiting in a drive through 3 times. Then the starter acted like it stayed in engage after it started and she let go of the key and did the same when I tried to start it when I got home. Plus it did the regular cutting out a few times today she said. I think she is starting to look for a cliff?

ZXMustang

5.0 4V Owner
Reaction score
TSB 11-3-31
03/31/11
5.0L - P0301 THRU P0308 - BUILT ON OR BEFORE
8/16/2010 FORD:
2011 Mustang ISSUE
Some 2011 Mustang vehicles built on or before 8/16/2010 equipped with a 5.0L engine may exhibit the malfunction indicator lamp (MIL) illuminating with one or more diagnostic trouble codes (DTCs) P0301, P0302, P0303, P0304, P0305, P0306, P0307 and/or P0308 present. ACTION
Follow the Service Procedure steps to correct the condition.

SERVICE PROCEDURE
1. Reprogram the powertrain control module (PCM) to the latest calibration using IDS release 72.01 and higher. This new calibration is not included in the VCM 2011.3 DVD. Calibration files may also be obtained at the website. 2. A Misfire Monitor Neutral Profile Correction will need to be learned. Use the scan tool to perform the Misfire Monitor Neutral Profile Correction procedure. From the IDS toolbox select: ^ Powertrain ^ Service Functions ^ Misfire Monitor Neutral Profile Correction ^ Follow prompts NOTE PLEASE ADVISE THE CUSTOMER THAT THIS VEHICLE IS EQUIPPED WITH AN ADAPTIVE TRANSMISSION SHIFT STRATEGY WHICH ALLOWS THE VEHICLE'S COMPUTER TO LEARN THE TRANSMISSION'S UNIQUE PARAMETERS AND IMPROVE SHIFT QUALITY. WHEN THE ADAPTIVE STRATEGY IS RESET, THE COMPUTER WILL BEGIN A RE-LEARNING PROCESS. THIS RE-LEARNING PROCESS MAY RESULT IN FIRMER THAN NORMAL UPSHIFTS AND DOWNSHIFTS FOR SEVERAL DAYS. WARRANTY STATUS: Eligible Under Provisions Of New Vehicle Limited Warranty Coverage And Emissions Warranty Coverage
IMPORTANT : Warranty coverage limits/policies are not altered by a TSB. Warranty coverage limits are determined by the identified causal part.

This TSB is for your issue and will fix it.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back