Re...build thread

05sonic4.6

forum member
Reaction score
Well as some of you may have read my first attempt at building my motor went pretty poorly, so this will be my second attempt and this time around I'll be asking more advice from more experience builders because I WILL NOT be doing this a third time hah.

Anyway I basically have all my parts together already, I just have to have some machining finished up on my new block. Unfortunately the original one that was in the car would have needed to be bored another .020 over and it was cheaper for me to just replace the block than get new pistons and rebalance.

My goals aren't anything crazy, I'm not looking to break any records. I'm looking to make around 6-650whp. This is a turbo powered motor that started as a turbonetics kit. The cold side of those kits is pretty terrible so I fabbed up my own wih 3" pipe and a big old intercooler. I have a basic cast s366 I may run for now and see what it gets me, but if I can afford it I'd like to get a comp 67.

As far as the motor is concerned it's a pretty basic build, diamond 15cc pistons, boss rods, stock crank, stock cams. 405 pump wih bap, 60lb Injectors, Lito tuning. Staying on 93 pump. Now this brings me to my first question for you guys. I managed to pick up a pair of CNC high flow ford racing heads for a great deal. Im starting to wonder though if these heads are overkill for my goal? It feels almost like a sin to run them with stock cams and stock manifold with cmdps. So I figure at the very least I'd pick up and ford racing manifold? Im sure some of you will say "duh of course run em" but Im mainly asking because as far as boosted engines are concerned I wasn't sure if the larger ports and valves will shift the power band further up like in a naturally aspirated engine. I don't want an engine with all top end because its mostly a street car with occasional street use, and I don't want to rev the car to the moon with the stock crank in place. 6500 max. However if I can reach my goals with less boost and stay in the same rev range, it may make for a more "reliable" build. Which is what my original thought process was.

This will be a slower thread Since I'm really gunna take my time this go around and make sure I got all my shit right. I'll upload pics when I can and appreciate any and all advice.

Heaten m90

forum member
Reaction score
Use the ported heads.... why would you even consider not using them.... fuck

Edit after reading the post entirely, no velocity is not a concern you will benefit from using them

Last edited:

05sonic4.6

forum member
Reaction score
Use the ported heads.... why would you even consider not using them.... fuck

I'm aware the answer may be an obvious one I'm just being overly analytical with my build this round.

swflastang05

Back for More
Reaction score
x2 definitely use the ported heads. I've never had any issues with low end power using ported heads and FRPP intake with boost.

05sonic4.6

forum member
Reaction score
x2 definitely use the ported heads. I've never had any issues with low end power using ported heads and FRPP intake with boost.

That's the confirmation I was hoping for ha, looks like I'll be in the market for a Ford racing manifold.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back