Rear End Scraping Noise At All Speeds

Maczs007

Reaction score
Ever since I put on new rear lower control arms (2013 GT) and swapped the rear springs (Steeda Sports), I have a scraping/wooshing noise at all speeds that is coming from the rear. It sounds like something is scraping against the brake backing plate but I checked both sides and didn't see anything interfering? No rocks stuck in there, no bends either? The sound stays constant even if I apply the brakes - no change. The sound does speed up as the car accelerates but does not get louder. I put it up on jack stands, turned the rear axle with my hand, applied a stethoscope and only heard the brake shoes scraping against the disks, no other sounds coming from the pumpkin? Maybe because of the NVH it is louder (with the new control arms) than before, that it is amplifying a pre-existing noise, I don't know? I am stumped?

Last edited:

Dino Dino Bambino

I have a red car
Reaction score
Having lowered the rear suspension, it's possible that the driveshaft is now rubbing against the handbrake cable bracket.

Rob72

No Japanese Mustang Here
Reaction score
I had that issue when I installed those springs. I rotated the one that was scraping the body 180 degrees and it went away. The rear spring design that I received was wider than factory.

Last edited:

Maczs007

Reaction score
Thanks for all the tips everyone!

I am running J&M Extreme Joint Rear Lower Control Arms.
The ends mounted to the body brackets are polyurethane, the ends mounted to the rear end are somewhat solid (steel inner ball surrounded by polyurethane outer cups). Man, they made a big difference though! I added the Cortex watts link and the car is beast around curves.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back