recommend data logging equipment?

paco_pony

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I want to do some data logging to diagnose this stumbling problem that I am having. It only does it on the street and won't replicate on the dyno. At light throttle the car will just fall on it's face and then pick back up.

I don't know anything about datalogging. If you could help with equipment, software etc recommendations I'd appreciate it greatly.

fin1

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
For SCT:
1) SCT XCalibrator 2 flash tuner
2) Laptop PC w/ XP or higher
3) USB 9 Pin Mini-din cable
4) SCT's Live Link software

Then you'll need to log the PIDs (parameters) you want to track via the Live Link software. Some PIDs can be confusing and misleading so you may need to try it a few times.

J

jbailer

If you use the SCT XCal2 and LiveLink for datalogging, make sure you use a decent laptop. I had an IBM with a 750MHz P3 and 256M of RAM and the datalogging was VERY slow and I couldn't collect more than a few parameters. I bought a new Dell that is much more powerful and it made a world of difference. I really like to datalog with the SCT because it can get any OBD2 parameter, basically any parameter that the ECU sees.

One thing I noticed though is that when datalogging with the SCT the information is not synchronized well. It would be different if each message going to the ECU had a time stamp on it and it could be aligned properly but that doesn't happen. Instead the messages come back staggered a little and you'll see things like throttle goes closed but RPM is still increasing and maybe A/F doesn't drop for a little after that.

I datalog with an Innovate setup. It is MUCH more expensive but grabs the data in real time. It is not near as easy or flexible either. I log A/F, RPM, IAT, MAF Voltage, IDC and vacuum/boost. That wasn't too bad and can get me most of what I need. The log is real-time too. When I let off the throttle, RPM drops immediately and the corresponding A/F change, boost, etc. It is very difficult to get it to log timing though and the SCT is VERY easy to grab lots of other data like coolant temps and other things. -Joe

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back