Removing snow without damaging the finish

Sky Render

Stig's Retarded Cousin
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
My Mustang stays in a garage, but my other cars don't.

How can you remove snow from a vehicle's hood, roof, trunk etc without marring the paint underneath? My concern is that those brushes that you get for removing snow might scratch the clear coat. Or am I just being paranoid?

07TGGT

@user
Reaction score
It's pretty much impossible. Even if you use a MF the snow sliding across and off the car will mar it. The best you can do is minimize the amount of damage done. I used to only go down so far with the brush that I left a thin layer of snow on the car to act as a barrier.

ModdedMach

Detailer of shiny things.
Reaction score
Snow can and will scratch paint. Using a scratch resistant coating will help reduce the scratches.

Depending on how cold it is, you can run water over the snow (cold water, to avoid breaking glass parts). If the snow is stuck really hard to the paint, itll slowly melt away, if its powdery snow, the water will usually run under the snow and let it slide off in a sheet, either way, snow in/on water should be less abrasive than dry snow against paint.

If you are really worried about it, get one of those fold out 10x10 canopies, that should cover most of your car lol.

Wicked GT

OCD with ADD...
Reaction score
As mentioned below, I generally take off as much as possible without touching the paint. The 1/2" or so of snow left will either blow off while driving or will melt off once the car is warmed up.

Sky Render

Stig's Retarded Cousin
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Dang, and I was hoping for some whiz-bang clever brush thing that would protect the finish.

I've got de-icer. That doesn't help if you've got 4+ inches of snow.

fdjizm

Drag Queen
Reaction score
I gave up on keeping my car scratch free years ago, sorry bruh!!

mrperple

forum member
Reaction score
Unfortunately after every winter a polish is needed . Nothing you can really do to prevent scratches. I try and run water on it from the hose until that freezes over then your screwed. Living up north really sucks sometimes.

NUTCASE

forum member
Reaction score
I do my best to minimize them by lifting the snow off as close to the surface as possible without touching the surface, the carefully remove the rest ice layer or dust layer as situation dictates.

a few years back we had a snow-pocolyps and I thought I would be smart just pushing 2 1/2 feet of snow right off my car after it warmed up. !!!BAD IDEA!!!

NUTCASE

forum member
Reaction score
oh yeah, make a snow-roush and take pics LOL. I have tried that a few times but botched every time.

mustang02

forum member
Reaction score
Careful with ice and the sno-broom. I scratched my f150 s hood last year.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back