best way to tackle engine removal ?

whitmanink

Reaction score
as some of you may or may not know,,, my engine decided to destroy itself, so now i need to get her out,,
so this weekend i plan on pulling the block only ( my garage isnt tall enough for both (engine/trans),,the garage roof A/frames get in way after about 8 ft)

so is it easier to pull the block from the car,, or lift the body up and roll the engine trans out as one?

anyone with experience on one or both?

if removing just the engine from block, where should i connect the engine leveler so i have the best shot on the block without damage >? (my heads are off the engine)

also, any hints or tips while doing it this way to ease the pain it is lol?

and, if lifting the body up and rolling out the engine \trans as one, what needs to be disconnected other than the steering wheel and clutch line, driveshaft , ?

again,, any tips or tricks if doing it this way>?

i think i got a lead on a good motor ( a great member on this forum)
so id like to start pulling this motor and see if i can save the block or if its trash..

thanx guys

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
The engine is super easy to remove from the S197 Mustang. Massive hood area, low front grill, tons of room. You do have to remove the hood for better clearance but it's about as easy as it gets. I recently pulled the 5.4 from an F350 and that was way harder than the 4.6 in my Mustang.

20211128_150510.jpg

Laga

Reaction score
I just had my engine removed and reinstalled. They removed just the block from the top leaving the trans in place. I have Kooks LTH that made it a little more difficult.

whitmanink

Reaction score
but where do you hook up the hoist chain to on the block? I've heard you're not to use the heads as damage could result?

ILW84U

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
The front is hooked up as shown and the rear are hooked up to the upper transmission bolts.Out 003.jpg

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
After you remove the intake manifold it's obvious where to hook up the hoist. A leveler as shown above is super helpful, $40 on Amazon or at Harbor Freight.

LikeabossTM

forum member
Reaction score
As mentioned, the mounts are standard. Although Ford recommends the leveler (along with every other specialty tool listed in the shop manual), i didn't find it necessary. Using chain straight to the bolts/hoist hook, along with a little push n pull here n there, worked just fine for me without any undue effort.

If you want to save a few bux...

whitmanink

Reaction score
yesterday i was out in the garage getting ready to pull this thing,,
the top passenger side bolt (below the intake ) rounded off when it was all but out ( seemed like loc tight red was used or sumthing?) tryed for like 2 hrs on this one bolt lol ,,

so im just gonna Dremel cut it and get the rest out once i pull it..

i got a leveler (used it on my wifes 2 outbacks)

*******i seen the bottom 2 bolts look like they just hold on the plate that goes between the trans and engine,,
do they need to come out as well ? *******

the starter is out ,,, trans is supported by a jack and i have the trans bolts loose so there is wiggle room if need be..

prolly wont get around to pulling it till this weekend ..

I never used a leveler. Just a chain.
The easiest and least aggravating way to swap an engine is to pay someone! lol

lol im that guy you pay to pull it lol ,, i do all my own work (god willing) the only thing i wont touch is rebuilding an auto trans,,, thats for the birds and with a skill set and patience i dont have lol....

truth be told , all the work ive done on mine and my wifes cars, ive saved myself thousands, and in this day in age , a penny saved is a penny earned

Juice

forum member
Reaction score
yesterday i was out in the garage getting ready to pull this thing,,
the top passenger side bolt (below the intake ) rounded off when it was all but out ( seemed like loc tight red was used or sumthing?) tryed for like 2 hrs on this one bolt lol ,,

so im just gonna Dremel cut it and get the rest out once i pull it..

i got a leveler (used it on my wifes 2 outbacks)

*******i seen the bottom 2 bolts look like they just hold on the plate that goes between the trans and engine,,
do they need to come out as well ? *******

the starter is out ,,, trans is supported by a jack and i have the trans bolts loose so there is wiggle room if need be..

prolly wont get around to pulling it till this weekend ..

lol im that guy you pay to pull it lol ,, i do all my own work (god willing) the only thing i wont touch is rebuilding an auto trans,,, thats for the birds and with a skill set and patience i dont have lol....

truth be told , all the work ive done on mine and my wifes cars, ive saved myself thousands, and in this day in age , a penny saved is a penny earned
Yup, you do save $$ doing your own work. Been doing my own wrenching all my life.

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back