Rough Idle

AztroRover

Reaction score
C0734F32-0FED-4A69-8805-0E537028A7F8.jpeg FC839D99-4382-436F-8B99-0ACA8E0154EA.jpeg A couple weeks ago I posted about rough idle on my 2006, V6 Conv. The thread was moved to a “regional” channel no one ever reads. Yet lots of S197 V6’rs experience. Well I have an update.

Ok, went through all the service records that came with my car… My car was taken to dealer for “everything” . Yes, I have the receipt for the tires from Worthington Ford, every bulb and windsheild wiper replacement… from Worthington -Insane, I know. But why I bought this car. Now, I read about doing an Idle Relearn??? for my problem. I went through both procedures I found online once my mechanic gave up. the first was disconnecting one of the leads to the battery, and grounding the other to reset… something = Zero Change. The second was this hokey process (refer to the attachments for correct order of operations) of turning the on, letting it idle to temp, then setting the parking break, then turing in the A/C then idling then driving it for 10 min… and it worked, it’s so calm now!!! I have driven it now 2 days and it has held steady. Some guys on another forum were pulling their motor mounts to solve this issue. -Wild.

DieHarder

Reaction score
What took care of rough idle on my son's V6 was a new set of plug wires. Purrs like a kitten now. Not really a racer. Just looks like one.

IMG_1966.JPG

AztroRover

Reaction score
I just ordered a new set of wires let’s see if that helps a little more with mine. Thanks for the suggestion.

TexasBlownV8

Formerly TexasBlownV6
Reaction score
Worn spark plugs, especially on driver side, are often a cause; don't wait for 100k mile before changing them! Plug wires, not so much of an issue, but depends on age.
The relearn process is very interesting, too!

AztroRover

Reaction score
Update: Replaced the motor mounts. Once and for all... absolute smoothness. Thanks to the guys who said to do the mounts. It's day and night. Even tho my mechanic did say it's may not be the solution. It was a Cheap fix too. 119 for both mounts and transmission mount also. Less than 200 to install them. Also did a the valve cover seals for what my mechanic said was a very small and slow leak I never saw any drips, but there was clearly making a mess on the back of the engine. All clean now.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back