S197 Mustang in SCCA Solo: STX vs STU vs ESP?

Vorshlag-Fair

Official Site Vendor
Official Vendor
Reaction score
http://scca.cdn.racersites.com/prod/assets/SEB aug finals.pdf

August FasTrack just posted. Apparently LOTS OF YOU GUYS have been writing letters in regards to pony cars needing: MORE TIRE in STU, moving some pony cars BACK to STX, asking for control arms and LCA brackets, etc. The volume of letters noted in the last few pages for "pony car mods" is overwhelming... and its working!

Keep up the good work. And if you think of something that might make you more inclined to race in SCCA Solo classes like STU or ESP, and you are a current SCCA member, do not hesitate to write those letters!

http://www.crbscca.com/ <- go here, write it professionally and spell check it in an outside word processing program before sending. INCLUDE YOUR MEMBER NUMBER in your signature as well as your name and the type of car you race and class you currently run in.

Thanks! :clap:

dontlifttoshift

forum member
Reaction score
Whiskey's letter #12063 was last August, mine was #11937. I really thought they lost it or filed it under CS. Turns out it takes a year to address an issue?

Vorshlag-Fair

Official Site Vendor
Official Vendor
Reaction score
http://scca.cdn.racersites.com/prod/assets/Solo_14-fastrack-oct_1.pdf

Well I'll be dipped in sh!t....Wee got what we asked for. :beerdrink:

Recommended Items for 2015

Street Touring

#12063 Live Axle rear lower control arms

Replace 14.8.G.5 with the following:

The lower arms may be replaced or modified and the lower pickup points on the rear axle housing may be relocated.”​

Street Prepared

Replace 15.8.I.5 with the following:

The lower arms may be replaced or modified and the lower pickup points on the rear axle housing may be relocated.”​

So now ESP and ST racers in S197s can use these:

DSC_2124-M.jpg

And these:

DSC_2117-M.jpg

Whiskey11

SCCA Autoscrosser #23 STU
Reaction score

Street Touring

Street Prepared

So now ESP and ST racers in S197s can use these:

Some of us are getting a head start on the antisquat and roll steer tuning fun:

This puts my car somewhere in the 63%-65% range for Anti-Squat. Probably a touch high... but it'll be fun! :D To add to that fun train, the second position is 80% and the bottom position is 98%... at this ride height.

Stock height over the winter will be a fun adventure.

modernbeat

Jason McDaniel @ Vorshlag
Official Vendor
Reaction score
Whiskey, for autocross I'd run maximum anti-squat and high roll steer. For track and street use I'd tone it down a bit.

Whiskey11

Reaction score
Whiskey, for autocross I'd run maximum anti-squat and high roll steer. For track and street use I'd tone it down a bit.

Why is that? Maximum as in maximum allowed by the brackets (98% in my case) or maximum the tires will take? Keep in mind I'm currently on 265/40/18 RS3's and next year will be on 285/35/18 RS3V2's. I'm not sure they can really stand 100% antisquat.

The roll steer I get, to get the car to rotate, but I'm not sure the %AS is going to be usable with these tires. A6's, probably.

modernbeat

Official Vendor
Reaction score
With a smaller tire like you have, I'd DEFINITELY run more AS. And I'd run as much as the parts allowed.

modernbeat

Official Vendor
Reaction score
How does the smaller tire affect the AS setting? What happens when you go overboard with anti-squat?

There are a few down sides, but the most notable is the reduction of rear brake effectiveness. And too much roll steer can be pretty spooky on the roadcourse where body roll and speed are different for every corner, but at autocross speeds where every corner has -about- the same amount of roll, it helps.

claudermilk

Reaction score

Street Touring

Street Prepared

:clap::pompoms::partysmilie:

Now to go get serious about picking the parts. And order up some STU class markings.

claudermilk

Reaction score
Some of us are getting a head start on the antisquat and roll steer tuning fun:
I have a question for you. IIRC, you have the TCA022 bars installed, correct? How does that jive with 14.8.B which specifically prohibits replacing bushings with metal? If I'm reading that rule correctly, then the ACA004 (bling!), TCA019, or TCA032 would be the legal STU options. Which brings me to a question for BMR: What's the difference between the 019 and 032 aside from price?

Arustik

forum member
Reaction score
Can't we run R-Comps in ESP, but in STX you have to stick with a streets? Will the 295s Rivals allow me to run STX/U?

Can we start this season!? ;-)

Whiskey11

Reaction score
I have a question for you. IIRC, you have the TCA022 bars installed, correct? How does that jive with 14.8.B which specifically prohibits replacing bushings with metal? If I'm reading that rule correctly, then the ACA004 (bling!), TCA019, or TCA032 would be the legal STU options. Which brings me to a question for BMR: What's the difference between the 019 and 032 aside from price?

I do indeed have the TCA022 LCA's. As to how they are allowed, it is the same LACK of language that is present in the "Lateral locating device" rules that allows us to run PHB's with rod ends and watts linkages with rod ends. Basically the rule states "You can repalce it" and then doesn't restrict with what so it is 100% open. Apparently in the SCCA the bushing rule is not overruling all other modifications which means it only applies to parts that you can't replace (such as the LCA's on a live axle car in 2014, you couldn't run a spherical but only a cylindrical rubber bushing in the stock arms).

Mark A of the SEB basically confirmed the intent was to leave this rule completely open like the lateral locating device wording. Maybe DILYSI Dave can confirm or deny that intention but that is the way it is worded.

I wont speak for BMR but I think the biggest difference is the bar stock used is thinner on the TCA032

Can't we run R-Comps in ESP, but in STX you have to stick with a streets? Will the 295s Rivals allow me to run STX/U?

Can we start this season!? ;-)

You can run R-Comps in ESP but in STX (which we aren't in any more and can't run in anymore) you are limited to 265's on 9" wheels. In STU you are limited to 285's on whatever wheel you want. So NO you can't run 295 Rivals in STU or STX.

Last edited:

Arustik

forum member
Reaction score
In that case you'd likely run 285 RS3s in STU, or run 305+ A7s in ESP. The time difference (on a 70 second course for an STU car) is:

ESP

If that ^^ is true then the most competitive class for our cars IMO is ESP. Not sure if there were any recent changes to STU class though.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back