S197 Mustang in SCCA Solo: STX vs STU vs ESP?

Sky Render

Stig's Retarded Cousin
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I'm not attacking your character. And if you took it as that, I apologize.

I'm simply saying that the belief that "nothing will change so I'm not going to try" is a rather nihilistic one.

claudermilk

Reaction score
I'm not sure about other regions, but it seems F Stock (or now F Street) are pretty much dead. At least around me, and CalClub isn't a small playing field.

I think the point is that when we want to add some mods & bump to STU, we are now up against M3s, Evos, and WRXs. And are NOT allowed "common suspension and engine modifications compatible with street use" The problem being 14.8.G. I'm certainly no expert, but even I see the problem there.

So, now there is CAM and no pressure to fix that section. At least until CAM goes berzerk--which will happen sooner or later.

Vorshlag-Fair

Official Site Vendor
Official Vendor
Reaction score
I've read Terry's build thread, and I'm quite envious of the work and effort that he has put into his car. Which is A LOT by the way.

Well, I get that it looks pretty racey, and we have done a few "big things" to our Mustang (namely - aero) that are tailored for another series (NASA Time Trial), but those have almost zero affect on autocross competitiveness. The numbered NASA TT classes have very few restrictions, but even still we've left a LOT of things off of our car that could make it faster in that series.

_DSC7330-L.jpg

But when it comes to autocross-worthy mods, we haven't done many of the things that are still allowed in ESP or Street Mod classes. We still have the full weight interior, air bags, A/C, radio, and more - all of which could come out for ESP/SM. Many ESP prepped cars at Nationals in 2012 were far more prepped than we were. Heck I was still on soft springs (450 then vs 800 now) and skinny tires back then (315s).

DSC_4613-3-L.jpg

Our Mustang at the 2012 Solo Nationals, above. 18x11/18x12 wheels and 315mm Hoosiers under stock fenders. It wasn't well developed for ESP

Even now, we really only have some of the common legal suspension and tire mods for ESP. Good shocks/springs/camber plates, swaybars, LCA brackets (not ESP legal), rear UCA and LCA arms (not ESP legal), front LCA bushings, a streetable Watts Link, and that's it. The Torsen T2-R we have was a nice upgrade but we didn't have that, or half of these suspension mods, back when we were in ESP. There's no magic or custom parts there - all of these are off-the-shelf pieces anyone can buy. We could have custom torque arm (the only time I'd add one of these to an S197 is to get around weird rules restrictions for autocrossing), 200+ pounds of street worthy parts would be removed, we would run a lighter transmission, a Boss 302 motor, and a lot of parts from another S197 Mustang that will go unnamed. It would be a LOT more radical than it is now, and not street legal.

_DSF3120-L.jpg

The front and rear flares plus the aero we added for NASA TT3 use allow for more tire clearance, and the 18x12" wheels we run and 345mm rear tires are a little wider than we had before - but are all ESP legal. The aero works at higher speeds but is worthless in a parking lot. We ran 18x11 front and 18x12 rears before under stock fenders, but in ESP you can cut and hack the fenders more than we have, and you don't even have to run flares. Heck, the tires can poke out the fenders by a mile...

DSC_4447-L.jpg

This 2006 Mustang beat us in ESP. It had 1000# springs, 335 tires, 100 less hp, no A/C or emissions, and was much lighter

What else have we done to our Mustang? Seats/roll bar/harnesses, but again, that was mostly for track safety. I wouldn't waste 63 pounds on a roll bar for an autocross car. Nor would I use the big rear wing, ducted hood or splitter - which itself catches cones regularly. ESP only allows for 1960s aero mods, like the rear spoiler we used to run. A splitter has almost no affect at autocross speeds.

2DSC_7828-S.jpg
_DSC3531-S.jpg

So while it looks like we've done a ton of mods, anyone could replicate the ones relating to autocrossing for not a huge sum of money. I think we could keep it around $10K in parts, that matter for autocross? We actually have NOT installed a lot of "popular" suspension mods we see on daily driven and track prepped S197s all the time. Why? Because we don't feel they make any real difference, and are just "wallet lightening" mods. Things like bump steer correction kits, all of the bolt-on braces, sphericals in every bushing, tubular front crossmembers and control arms, a torque arm, SLA front suspension, 2-piece rotors, and on and on and on.

DSC_8778-S.jpg
DSC_8818-S.jpg

Left: Its BILLET, yo! Right: Don't even ask me what this trinket does...

Ultimately, we're talking about two different things here. You're talking about a world where you can create a class that would allow the mustang to be competitive on street tires.

I think he meant that there are places where a Mustang could run in existing ST classes, and they could be more competitive, with just a little bit of help. There are already "solid axle" specific allowances in ESP class, extra things these cars are allowed to do, to help competitiveness. That's what most of us feel is needed for these cars in STU.... just let the stick axle cars have rear LCA brackets, adjustable length rear lower control arms (they already have UCAs), and a little more tire than their much lighter foes in the same class (285mm ain't enough for a 3500 pound car).

29_MG_5197-S.jpg
_DSC3005-S.jpg

With a few rear suspension allowances (left) and a bump up to 315mm tires (right) this car might have a chance in STU

I'm talking about reality where you can bitch and moan all that you want, and you're not going to get the SCCA to create another mustang class. With the current ruleset, the mustang will not be competitive on street tires. Not without a lot of money and effort to get there.

Even with a lot of money and effort the Mustang won't be competitive in STU, with the current rule set. Its a matter of physics... with 3500 pounds and 285mm tires, similar power levels (and power almost doesn't matter in autocross), the S197 is at a huge disadvantage to other RWD cars in STU. You can build an E36 M3 that has 285s (barely) and weighs 2900 pounds in STU form. Been there, done that, took home a 2nd at Nats and won STU-L twice with an E36 in STU. Our STU M3 was 600 pounds lighter than the S197 but could use the same max width tire - how is that fair? The final "weight per tire width" ratio just blows the Mustang clean out of the running.

DSC_5867-L.jpg

Then you have to look at the boost buggy AWD cars. Even with "only" a 245mm tire they are generally dominant in STU - they've won at Nats every year since 2005, save once. Its about being able to put the power to the ground out of each corner, and these cars can make plenty of power in STU - because the SEB cannot write rules that can be policed properly. Long story, don't get me started.

DSC_5840-S.jpg
DSC_4544-S.jpg

Ask me how I know...

If you want to be fast and competitive with the mustang without dumping tons of money into mods, buy a set of r-comps and run in F-Stock.

Yea, not so much anymore. R-compounds are dead and gone, so these now "F Street" cars are back to street tires, too. And "Stock" never allowed almost any useful mods - a swaybar and an air filter isn't going to attract very many S197 owners. And for the most part it was dominated that past 6+ years by 2007-08 Shelbys, because those cars came with lowering springs, bars and a bunch of other ESP-like parts. In reality all that F Stock offered was grip - the cars felt pretty awful to drive, whenever I raced in one. (I ran in F Stock for a few years, back in the day)

DSC_1397-S.jpg
DSC_1400b-S.jpg

F Street isn't an option for 99.99% of Mustang owners that want to autocross. It appealed to a very select group of folks who only cared about being competitive in this one class. Some of my oldest friends are F Stock racers (including a few F Stock National champions) and they will go to the grave racing in that same class, heh. It is a rare bird that wants to drive a nearly stock Mustang, though.

DSC_6167-S.jpg
DSC_9410-S.jpg

Street Touring allows for so many more fun suspension mods that appeals to a MUCH larger audience of Mustang owners. And not having to do R compounds and race-only-mods that ESP allows is a big draw, too. In STU you can't: remove the a/c, remove the airbags, cut/flare the fenders, use a weird update/backdate drivetrain swap, port match the heads, swap intake manifolds, or remove the emissions equipment - like you can in ESP. ESP is an old class with old rules that ruin a car for street use. STU has so much promise, but the lack of a proportionally sized tire for the given weight of these cars is what kills it.

An S197 can fit 315s under stock fenders, and it would wake up these cars, if the STAC would only allow it...

Last edited:

dontlifttoshift

forum member
Reaction score
Chicago region

1 car in F Stock (shelby clone)
1 car in ESP 4th gen F body with 2 drivers

But there was always a handful of ESP "R" guys running street tires in the rear drive street tire catch all class.

I was much more passionate about this a year ago but I am getting closer to not having a dog in this fight. I still believe this car should fit in some ST class. STX with STU tire allowances (plus 10mm, so 295) makes the most sense to me. At the local level we were competive in STX until a National level driver showed up for the last 3 events.

****edit after reading Fairs post.....unlimited wheel/tire under stock fenders in STU would work for me as well***

This was on 265 PSS, crappy shocks and springs for most of the year and sway bars, everything else stock. Not bragging just a point of reference at the local level. http://scca-chicago.com/wp-content/Solo/2013/membership-2013-yep.htm

I think there is room to make up the time with some added tire width and a truckload of driver mod. If there is a class for the car I could be talked into keeping it, if CAM becomes home anyways, I've got a line on a 2nd gen Camaro. If that happens there are plenty of other events to attend and SCCA loses.

Last edited:

jmauld

forum member
Reaction score
Well, I get that it looks pretty racey, and we have done a few "big things" to our Mustang (namely - aero) that are tailored for another series (NASA Time Trial), but those have almost zero affect on autocross competitiveness. The numbered NASA TT classes have very few restrictions, but even still we've left a LOT of things off of our car that could make it faster in that series.
I hope you didn't take my comment negatively, because I didn't mean it that way. I know that the sum of your parts do not add up to a lot of $$$$'s, but it took you a lot of time/development to get where you are, which is mainly what I was talking about. You didn't just throw on a bunch of parts and hope for the best. It takes much more than that to become competitive.

brdollmeyer

Reaction score
DSC_4447-L.jpg

This 2006 Mustang beat us in ESP. It had 1000# springs, 335 tires, 100 less hp, no A/C or emissions, and was much lighter

Just to set the record straight...it had 335's on the back only because Goodyear didn't show up with our tires and Hoosier only had 2 315's. The only had 2 335's as well, so we had to jump on those. Not ideal, but they were good.
The car had full emissions. Stock Intake Manifold, Stock Exhaust Manifold, OEM Cats. Had a Magnaflow CatBack, a CAI & a 93 octane tune. No idea what it had at the wheels, but somewhere under 300.

Whiskey11

SCCA Autoscrosser #23 STU
Reaction score
Just to set the record straight...it had 335's on the back only because Goodyear didn't show up with our tires and Hoosier only had 2 315's. The only had 2 335's as well, so we had to jump on those. Not ideal, but they were good.
The car had full emissions. Stock Intake Manifold, Stock Exhaust Manifold, OEM Cats. Had a Magnaflow CatBack, a CAI & a 93 octane tune. No idea what it had at the wheels, but somewhere under 300.

At least this thread is complete right? :)

Mountain

forum member
Reaction score
Another letter campaign to the SEB on more allowances to STU for Mustangs?

-Solid axle cars are allowed up to 305mm tires (I figure this might sound better than 315's)
-Allow replacement of all rear suspension links (allow adjustable, no full spherical)
-Allow adjustment of rear suspension link attachment point(s) via factory backed aftermarket (FRPP, GM Performance, etc.) means or the use of parts similar in design/function to those factory backed aftermarket parts (maybe just start with simply and only factory backed aftermemarket means?)

Mountain

forum member
Reaction score
I mean, what options are there, really, for a 315 street tire? All I see is BFG Rival...

For 295's there are BFG Rivals, Yok AD08/R and Nitto NT05 (yeah, I know).

For 305's there are RE-11s, Yok ADO8R and RS3s.

There is a 285 option of some sort from all the major players but Dunlap (sad).

Last edited:

Whiskey11

Reaction score
I mean, what options are there, really, for a 315 street tire? All I see is BFG Rival...

For 295's there are BFG Rivals, Yok AD08/R and Nitto NT05 (yeah, I know).

For 305's there are RE-11s, Yok ADO8R and RS3s.

There is a 285 option of some sort from all the major players but Dunlap (sad).

Yeaaah.... of those the Rivals are probably the most appealing because they come in wider 18" wheel diameters... Sure I can get my RS3V2 in 305's but I have to get them in 19" wheels or 20" wheels...

To add insult to injury, it's cheaper to get 335 Rivals than it is to get 305 RS3V2's... I think 315 is a good all around number. It's what we can fit under the fenders without hacking/slashing and we don't have to run donk wheels to get them there. What we need is better manufacturing support like BFG has done from the big makers.

Whiskey11

Reaction score
And what wheel size and offset are you running to fit the 315's all around?

Well if you can deal with a little poke, 18x10.5 ET38 as the Enkei PF01's on the Dollmeyer/Bergstrom Yellow GT above, or 18x10.5 ET47 Enkei PF01's with Cortex Racing offset strut bodied coilovers or with spacers, or with the 18x11 Forgeline F14 setup that Terry Fair came up with. All will fit 315's at all four corners if you have the right tire height (shorter than stock), enough negative camber, and the appropriate spring rates.

csamsh

forum member
Reaction score
Well if you can deal with a little poke, 18x10.5 ET38 as the Enkei PF01's on the Dollmeyer/Bergstrom Yellow GT above, or 18x10.5 ET47 Enkei PF01's with Cortex Racing offset strut bodied coilovers or with spacers, or with the 18x11 Forgeline F14 setup that Terry Fair came up with. All will fit 315's at all four corners if you have the right tire height (shorter than stock), enough negative camber, and the appropriate spring rates.

FWIW...the F14's I have fit the 26.7" 315/35/18 V710 just fine.

modernbeat

Jason McDaniel @ Vorshlag
Official Vendor
Reaction score
Holy Moly! All of our work has paid off. I have to give a tip of the hat to anyone on the forum that wrote letters and urged the SCCA SEB to give stick-axle cars more allowances. The new Fastrack is coming out and it's got two new proposals that allow relocation of axle side pickup points and replacement lower arms for solid axle cars in Street Touring and Street Prepared classes.

-BUT-

This is just a proposal! You, yes YOU, have to write in to the SEB in support of these proposals if you want them to go through.

Send those comments to www.sebscca.com

Here's the text from the new Fastrack, located here, http://scca.cdn.racersites.com/prod/assets/solo.pdf:

Change Proposals

Street Touring
#12063 Solid Drive Axle Allowances
Replace 14.8.G.5 with the following:
“The lower arms may be replaced or modified and the lower pickup points on the rear axle housing may be relocated.”

Street Prepared

#14101 Solid Drive Axle Allowances
Replace 15.8.I.5 with the following:
“The lower arms may be replaced or modified and the lower pickup points on the rear axle housing may be relocated.”

csamsh

forum member
Reaction score
Holy crap!!! Awesome!!! Just sent my letter in...

Last edited:

Whiskey11

Reaction score
Holy Moly! All of our work has paid off. I have to give a tip of the hat to anyone on the forum that wrote letters and urged the SCCA SEB to give stick-axle cars more allowances. The new Fastrack is coming out and it's got two new proposals that allow relocation of axle side pickup points and replacement lower arms for solid axle cars in Street Touring and Street Prepared classes.

-BUT-

This is just a proposal! You, yes YOU, have to write in to the SEB in support of these proposals if you want them to go through.

Send those comments to www.sebscca.com

Here's the text from the new Fastrack, located here, http://scca.cdn.racersites.com/prod/assets/solo.pdf:

murica-fuck-yeah_o_1276593.jpg

Finally something positive... now if only we could get wider wheels and tires in STX or in STU!

I am Legend

forum member
Reaction score
About time...

This is good news, It may prod me to build back to SCCA spec again.

Last edited:

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back