S550 Mustang Suspension and Powertrain Discussion

Redline727

"I wanna go fast!"
Reaction score
Saw this on instagram this morning. I couldn't see where it was manual or auto though. Either way pretty impressive. From what I have seen most s197's pulling these times have same mods but also have LT's and some are auto with a circle D converter. It may be hard to tell in the pic but he pulled a 1.7 60' Company owning the shop car is Revolution Auto.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1413732273026.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1413732273026.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 80
Last edited:

Department Of Boost

Alpha Geek
Reaction score
The S550 has a TON of sound deading in it. A friend of mine is doing one of the "Dollar Cars" for Ford/SEMA and weeks ago he was texting me pics of the build and interesting notes (no, I can't post anything). One text simply said "So that is where I put all of that sound deading" and there was a HUGE pile of it. I've stripped a few S197's down. They don't have nearly that much. Then he sent me a text that said "There is where I put all of that seam sealer" with pics of a TON of seam sealer. Someone went crazy with that stuff!!!

The cars are super quiet inside. Way too quiet really.

And then there is the matter of that center muffler thing. I think we will have ours apart Wednesday, I'll weigh it.

There is some low hanging fruit that wasn't on the S197.

modernbeat

Jason McDaniel @ Vorshlag
Official Vendor
Reaction score
Sounds like the same thing BMW started doing with their cars back in the E46 days. The interior sound deadening pads and underbody coatings are out of control on them.

sheizasosay

Alive
Reaction score
Sounds like the same thing BMW started doing with their cars back in the E46 days. The interior sound deadening pads and underbody coatings are out of control on them.

So this new Mustang is going to the world right? Ford trying not to "culture shock" anybody with visceral feelings of a great V8 sound. I think it is a mistake to have a car be loud, "sound fast" and then not be. On the other side of that is too quiet on a car that has never cared about being quiet.

For the record, I'm not promoting obnoxious-loud.

NUTCASE

forum member
Reaction score
my opinion keeps swaying back and fourth on the car honestly. but either way, I won't be dropping $40k on a car for about 2 years, and my attention is starting to go towards AWD for street cars. so I might just end up in the peanut gallery on this one forever.

BMR Tech

Traction Vendor
Official Vendor
Reaction score
This sumbitch is reinforced everywhere.

Not going to lie though, kinda sucks having a car ripped apart - and a cracked windshield, days after I receive it. blah

ArizonaGT

Road Course Member
Reaction score

Yep.

I have heard unsubstantiated rumors that the BIWs will be lighter for the 550R/S cars, despite the increase in production car weight.

We shall see...

GrabberBlue5.0

Gold Member
Reaction score
Yep.

I have heard unsubstantiated rumors that the BIWs will be lighter for the 550R/S cars, despite the increase in production car weight.

We shall see...

Unless they plan to more extensively use aluminum or CF then I don't know how they can accomplish this. The sheet metal is already paper thin and using less heim sealer would also take away from the overall integrity of the vehicle. But I don't know everything either, we shall see

Brezick

Yinzer
Reaction score
So much wheel goodness in here. Yummy.

On another note; the '15 V8/5.0 engine comes with a revised engine block. That is always good news, for the power hungry people out there - like me.

Curious since you are tearing the car apart, is it possible to confirm the block has been updated. There are some threads stating that its the same 11-14 design.

BMR Tech

Traction Vendor
Official Vendor
Reaction score
I am not tearing the heads off of it, just yet, to confirm the water jacket rumor.

I mean, if there is anything that you request me check out, I can/will.

steveespo

forum member
Reaction score
I am not tearing the heads off of it, just yet, to confirm the water jacket rumor.

I mean, if there is anything that you request me check out, I can/will.

Kelly, weights on everything you remove would be nice. For me it's not if I get one it's which model and when.

BMR Tech

Traction Vendor
Official Vendor
Reaction score
Kelly, weights on everything you remove would be nice. For me it's not if I get one it's which model and when.

Sure thing. I haven't really ripped much out of my car yet, but I will be.

The other car we are getting, I will start a thread about. It will be handling specific - as where mine is more catered to straight line.

NUTCASE

forum member
Reaction score
This would be prime time to start a S550 "how much does it weigh" thread

BMR Tech

Traction Vendor
Official Vendor
Reaction score
And I truly believe that the S550 will be closer than OEM claims, mod for mod when making the car perform.

For example - the passenger seat in my base model 15 is heavier than the base model passenger seat in our 2011. I also believe the base model 15 wheels/tires are heavier than the 11-14 base wheel/tires.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back