School me on charge motion plates..

Forty61

forum member
Reaction score
So I’ve done a little research but it’s so scattered and contradictory I figured I would get some education here on it.

My ‘08 is already running a JLT intake, Hot Rod cams, long tubes and gears so nothing too wild, just a nice streetable weekend cruiser. I have underdrive pullies sitting on the shelf to go in too whenever I get time.

Are charge motion delete plates worth the investment on a basic street car? What real world numbers have you guys seen from them? Is it a serious retune for them or a basic parameter change?

I’m curious on them mainly just because I like tinkering with stuff but if the time and money investment isn’t worth it maybe I’ll look towards other things. Thanks guys!

07 Boss

Reaction score
Depends. Do you feel like they are a restriction? You may gain a few up top but give up some drivability down low. The purpose of them are to tumble the air at low intake velocities to help with the distribution of fuel. Are they necessary? No. Do you need to take them out? No.

Do you run a stock pvc system? They can become a problem when they get all gunked up.

Deathstang II

Reaction score
Heard mixed results with them. If you're going supercharged that's usually the only time you'd be worried about deleting them. Some people remove them and lose about 10HP and torque on the low end. Just depends on your set up, I personally have a BBK TB, Ford Performance Intake, and will be running some sort of CAI paired with a Ram induction hood. That kind of airflow might be pretty beneficial with a plate delete (would have to anyways as the FPI does not have them to begin with).

Dino Dino Bambino

I have a red car
Reaction score
I did charge motion delete plates and underdrive pulleys simultaneously as my second mod after the JLT 3 CAI & SCT X3 tuner. There was a definite performance and mpg gain with excellent drivability and no loss of low rpm torque. I highly recommend you do it but be sure to have the tune revised for the CMCV delete.

Instead of paying $280 for the Steeda plates, I bought a pair of used charge motion control valve assemblies from a friend, converted them to delete plates, bolted them onto my car with a revised tune, converted my original charge motion control valve assemblies into delete plates, sold them on, and made a small profit in the process. Best bang for the buck mod I'd ever done. :D

Here's more info. with some useful links.

https://www.angelfire.com/my/fan/Mustang2006GT/CMDP.html

Last edited:

RED09GT

Equal Opportunity Offender
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Since my car is a 2009, I did the steeda plugs and held them in place with an epoxy to make sure I did not have any vacuum leaks.
I also did an email tune from Eric Brooks at the same time and the car definitely picked up over the canned diablo tune that I was running with my steeda CAI. Trap speeds went from a best of 101.1mph stock to 105.5 or something along that number so the combination of the CAI, CMDP, and tune made a measureable difference compared to stock. Fuel economy didn't change in my case.

It is certainly not a "must do" mod but I didn't ever miss them or feel a lack of low-end torque that I didn't already expect from a 4.6L V8.

Garrett brittain

Reaction score
This is something I’m planning on doing with my car as well, I’ve done as much research as I’m willing to do, the general consensus is that you will more than likely low torque below 3,000 RPM but see gains up high. I’m going to purchase the FRPP intake manifold since I plan on boosting my car in the future, and it deletes the CMCV plates too, so two birds with one stone

with your current setup I’d say go ahead and do it, it should compliment the cams and long tubes nicely especially in the upper RPM range. And even if you do lose some low end power, who cares honestly. No one starts a race at low RPM unless you’re racing from a dig anyways, and you probably won’t care about any low end losses while just cruising.

also another thing to think about is that I’ve read on a couple of forums that people have had issues with the CMCVs starting to not function how they should as the car ages (being stuck closed or not opening at the correct times) which results in the car surging or hesitating to produce power. If you delete them it could be a problem you’ll avoid as your car ages.

Last edited:

GlassTop09

Reaction score
So I’ve done a little research but it’s so scattered and contradictory I figured I would get some education here on it.

My ‘08 is already running a JLT intake, Hot Rod cams, long tubes and gears so nothing too wild, just a nice streetable weekend cruiser. I have underdrive pullies sitting on the shelf to go in too whenever I get time.

Are charge motion delete plates worth the investment on a basic street car? What real world numbers have you guys seen from them? Is it a serious retune for them or a basic parameter change?

I’m curious on them mainly just because I like tinkering with stuff but if the time and money investment isn’t worth it maybe I’ll look towards other things. Thanks guys!
My 2 cents.......................
From studying up on their location in the intake runner tract & purpose of design, my knowledge level of engine design\function & the science behind air\gas flow dynamics I can understand the general reasoning why what is typically said concerning Ford CMCV's w\ engine TQ gain\loss but IMHO this is far more of a red herring concerning actual engine TQ gain\loss than they're being mainly geared more towards an emissions target purpose (think here creating extra air charge velocity offset--thus air charge motion--to 1 side of the CH's intake port to assist w\ fuel\air atomization & any EGR mixing during the intake air charge thru air tumble\roll into combustion chambers to promote even, complete fuel burn & a cooling effect to effectively control CC temps by reducing chamber hot spots to control NOx emissions output since EGR mixing is now done in the combustion chamber itself using VCT instead of in the IM's plenum ahead of the intake runners thru a separate EGR control valve w\ NOx control being the sole purpose of EGR application) to optimize max engine's emissions efficiency as their effect on real engine TQ gain\loss is actually very small to practically none....more\less a side effect as air charge velocity & air mass\volume delivery are 2 distinctly separate things as long as any fixed flowing path restriction used to increase air charge velocity doesn't cause the intake air's compressibility factor to exceed critical compressibility (the point at which a flowing gas can no longer compress w\o incurring a physical pressure drop across a fixed flow path restriction---the IM's plenum\runner design ahead of these CMCV's will dictate 99%+ of the engine's low speed TQ production capability from an air charge mass\volume delivery standpoint in NA trim--not the CMCV's & is also why all fuel is sprayed into air charge stream downstream of the CMCV plates as any liquids added to the flowing airstream upstream of these CMCV plates will change (lower) the air's compressibility factor & cause an excessive deltaP across the CMCV plates when closed thus actually reduce the effective air mass\volume charge into the cylinder during the intake stroke further reducing engine's HP\TQ output capability) so is mostly hype IMHO as actual tuning of the VCT & ignition timing set points within all the IMRC control maps around the cam profile in the tune along w\ the TQ Management tables w\ HP\TQ output in mind as the main focus instead of emissions will far & away affect actual engine HP\TQ output across all engine operating RPM's vs what these CMCV's will give you. I see hyping these CMCV's as a TQ gaining device a marketing ploy more than anything else to gain sales..... All it would take is a 1 ft\lb TQ gain to validate the statement..........even a 5 ft\lb TQ gain at low RPM's is very hard to feel the twisting force effect gain from it.

Like others have stated & is 1 of the reasons along w\ what I typed here is why I removed them.....the removal of them does eliminate 1 more mechanical issue\DTC\MIL to have to deal with......but they can also be tuned around while in place just as easily as removing them until they hang up on you so the choice in the end is IMHO a personal preference thing.....actual tuning of the tune files along w\ the actual IM plenum\runner design & cam profile in use for low speed engine TQ output is where it's at w\ these 3V's.....not so much the CMCV's. The rest is in the mechanical block design (bore & stroke displacement).

If you get some time & are interested, read up on the CMCV operation in the 2005-10 Mustang 4.6L 3V here: Ford Workshop Service & Repair Manuals - fordrepair.info - 2005 Mustang Powertrain Control And Emissions Diagnosis Intake air systems (iihs.net) pgs 4-5. Then read up on the EEC (electronic engine control) system's design\operational purpose here: Ford Workshop Service & Repair Manuals - fordrepair.info - 2005 Mustang Powertrain Control And Emissions Diagnosis Electronic engine control (eec) system (iihs.net) pgs 1-2 then tell me again what the main purpose of all was intended for w\ these cars off the production line......according to the source--Ford Motor Company.

Travis Belair

Reaction score
New s197 owner here. I just picked up CMDP from Steeda, BBK TB, SCT x4 and 4:10 gears. I also have under drive pulleys. The car already had a CAI. I planned on Lito tune once I have everything installed. I see guys saying yes and saying no to CMDP but im wondering if they actually tuned the car specifically to the modifications or just an out of the box tune. Anyone used Lito with CMDP and or other mods?
Thanks

Last edited:

RED09GT

Equal Opportunity Offender
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
If you have the CMDP's might as well install them. With Lito tuning it, it will run well.

Travis Belair

Reaction score
If you have the CMDP's might as well install them. With Lito tuning it, it will run well.

I am not sure if that was meant for me? Cause I am gonna run them and Lito is going to tune it. I already paid him.

My question or comment was that there are so many who say its not worth it or did nothing or lost low end. Are they actually running a Lito tune or out of box tune. Or do they even know what they're talking about basically.

Anyway coming soon is CMDP, 4:10 gears, BBK TB, Pulleys and SCT Tuner for Lito Tune. I already have CAI and exhaust. So hoping Lito can open her up!

Waiting on dang Fedex to drop everything off today or tomorrow. Says "end of day today" but nothing is out for delivery yet so not counting on it.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back