Skwerl's first hot rod

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
After 2 years and too many dollars I figure it's about time for me to start a build thread. I'm 47 years old and this is my first hot rod/toy car. A couple years ago I decided it was time for me to begin enjoying life a little more and I've wanted a Mustang since I was a teen. One Saturday morning I began browsing the online Auto Trader site and spotted a low mileage Bullitt. At that time I had no idea what a Bullitt was but the car was close by and I loved the color. I emailed the owner, got a response and made an appointment to look at it that afternoon. As I arrived he was pulling the car out of the garage. I decided it was mine before he got out of the car.

The car was 2 years old, 13K miles, 100% stock and spotless. He had never let his wife or son drive it. The only thing done to it was 2 oil changes at the dealership.
mustang4.jpg

I was thrilled and it didn't take long for me to begin adding my own touches to the car. From the start I've been more concerned with performance than appearance, although I do appreciate a nice looking car. I did add the painted mirror caps and rear window louvers but that's about the extent of my exterior appearance mods.
IMG_1845.jpg

About 2 months after buying the car I saw a deal on a Roush supercharger. The complete setup off a wrecked 2010 427R with 6900 miles. I made an offer without doing any research that was about $1000 less than asking price, the next day the seller accepted it and I immediately thought "WTF did I just get myself in to?"
IMG_1857.jpg

I got my local Ford mechanic and trusted friend to install the kit and contacted Justin at VMP to schedule the tune. He's about 15-20 miles away and was highly recommended by several sources.
IMG_1873.jpg

weather man

Persistance Is A Bitch
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I know there is more to this story! :)

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
Now that I had a supercharged Mustang it was time to go drag racing! I had no idea what I was doing but was bound and determined to do it and do it well. My first trip to the track I ran in the mid 13's. I decided I wanted to build my car for drag racing but keep it street friendly. This concept would define all of my future mods.

I began with suspension. Koni adjustable shocks and struts, LCA's with relocation brackets, adjustable panhard, etc. Then the MGW shifter, the DSS driveshaft, the BMR K member and A arms, and tens of thousands of dollars I cannot even begin to account for. New, better track tires and then a new set of Weld wheels with Hoosiers.
IMG_2229.jpg

I also did the pulley upgrade on the blower, FRPP throttle body, Afco dual fan heat exchanger and other mods trying to maximize the M90 output. It didn't take long to realize this was a dead end due to the limited power and awful heat issues associated with the M90.

About this time VMP announced on another forum that they were coming out with a TVS1900 upgrade for M90 owners. I immediately jumped on the concept and abandoned all other plans for dealing with heat issues. The TVS runs 100 degrees cooler, will bolt directly to the M90 manifold and can be pulleyed to 15 lbs of boost making about 600 RWHP. I put down my deposit and am anxiously awaiting the first shipment due in June. My name is on the very first unit.

With the ability to push 15 lbs of boost, my stock block will no longer be adequate. I already upgraded the stock 5 speed transmission replacing it with the T56 XL from JPC Racing. I was planning on running the TVS1900 on the stock motor with an 8 or 10 lb pulley until I could afford to forge the motor, but I may end up doing both at the same time. I definitely want an aluminum block and am 90% settled on the Ford Racing 46X Aluminator Stroker which just began shipping last week. I'm also planning on the Ford Racing high flow heads with larger valves and last week I picked up a set of gently used Ford Racing Hot Rod cams.

Last edited:

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
I've skipped a lot of details but it's hard to consolidate 2 years into two posts. And I really don't want to think about how much money I've spent or examine it too closely. Just the 6 speed trans was $5K and I'm looking at another $12-15K by the time I'm done with the drivetrain.

This is really a budget build compared to some here who have built some absolute monsters, but this is my first and I'm trying to keep it reasonable. I also want to keep it 100% street friendly which means pump fuel. Seems like everybody with more than 600hp is running E85 or race fuel and I don't want to do that. I've seen guys spend $30K on a build only to have it dialed back to 600hp on pump gas. My build will be limited by my pump fuel requirement and the TVS1900 max output of 15 lbs. But it will be a rock solid 600hp.

Last edited:

speedfreak1000

2 sided tape expert
Reaction score
i hate you people with your fancy "superchargers".

just fucking with ya. im 40 and just now at the point i have some money to spend on the car so i know how it goes.

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
600 is a lot of power. We get jaded by seeing all the super high hp builds on this site but 600 is plenty.

Looking forward to the rest of the story.

LAStang1234

----------DSL----------
Reaction score
Great back story Brian!! Best of luck with the build!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk while Moonwalking

Bill220

forum member
Reaction score
Being a fellow Bullitt owner, I've been following what you've done with the car. I recently saw that you were going with a FRPP short block and wondered where you were going to get one. Now I know :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

808muscle

forum member
Reaction score
Very cool thread. After Timmbos thread I think all of us m90 guys are realizing we are not immune to the big Boom. Good idea tackling it before it happens. Looking forward to this build.

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
All I'm lacking now is money to complete the build. If 100 of you guys donate $50 each, I can move forward on the build and do the forged motor and TVS blower at the same time. C'mon, guys! Help out a poor fellow Mustang brother! Do I gotta dance and strip? :boobies:

Doug M

Fast Cars & Freedom
Reaction score
There is a guy down in Florida that might help you out:) The powerball winner is from Zephyrhills Florida.

Last edited:

forum member
Reaction score
All I'm lacking now is money to complete the build. If 100 of you guys donate $50 each, I can move forward on the build and do the forged motor and TVS blower at the same time. C'mon, guys! Help out a poor fellow Mustang brother! Do I gotta dance and strip? :boobies:

I will send you $50 to not dance and strip....

Back