Skwerl's new cabin

Wes06

forum member
Reaction score
ive seen the truck mounted spades on tv before, they can move some huge fucking tree's

Shaggy

Head PooBaa of the Asylum
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Spades are sweet to watch take a tree out and move. We had to do it on a golf course several years back and it was one of the bigger ones. Every tree that was moved survived, which was also cool.

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
Garage door opener took a shit on me last week. Called customer support since it is less than a year old. They diagnosed it over the phone and said I needed a new powerhead. Said I needed to email them a copy of my receipt. Of course I don't have it, but the serial number proves it is less than 5 years old (5 year parts warranty). Now they want proof I've owned the house since before I purchased it. Well, I bought it off the shelf at HD the same month I bought the house and it was obviously on the shelf for several months. Wasn't worth the hassle so I abandoned that course of action.

Today I said 'screw it' and bought a new opener. Was going to buy a different brand but didn't like the selection, ended up with a Genie belt drive (new model). Tonight I had a hunch to search the reviews on it and HOLY CRAP!!! Every single review on any Genie opener has been scathing! So now I have to return the new opener to Lowe's and start over in my shopping. Was hoping the new ones might be better and I could still use my old remotes, but all of the recent reviews on Amazon (including this month) are horrible.

i am ryan

forum member
Reaction score
Home Depot is amazing at recalling receipts based on a card or phone number or fuel rewards account. You're SOL if you paid cash though. May be worth a shot! Also, their email receipts are freaking awesome. Worth signing up for.

Shotokan1509

forum member
Reaction score
I just don't get companies that give that type of hassle.. sure it's few bucks out the door for them but "I had a problem, called up xx and they took care of it no questions asked" goes a looooooooooooong way.

I wear watch almost always other than sleeping or safety reasons. I had a fossil that fogged up, sent it in for few bucks shipping they said we don't have parts for this anymore gave me voucher to buy new one. Got new one, bought more, had issue, sent it in replaced entire mechanism.. guess what? I bought more, and I tell people and they but them. I realize Fossil isn't an expensive, fancy name watch, but the customer service that 1 watch, and they're willingness to spend some in repairs, has sold dozens. Dozens not much to large company, but dozens multiplied by lot of customers. Cha Chiiiiiiiiiiiing

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
Installed the new Chamberlain belt drive garage door opener today. Had to pretty much take down everything from the old unit and start from scratch. Still need to figure out how to program the Homelink thing in the Mustang but everything else is done.

I also decided that I'm not willing to sell a defective opener on Craigslist. Just because other people can do that shit and get away with it doesn't mean that I can do it as well. I'd rather throw away the old Genie opener than sell it fraudulently. Not worth the hundred bucks.

LB75

forum member
Reaction score
I also decided that I'm not willing to sell a defective opener on Craigslist. Just because other people can do that shit and get away with it doesn't mean that I can do it as well. I'd rather throw away the old Genie opener than sell it fraudulently. Not worth the hundred bucks.

You're a good dude. Any chance you can salvage some components from the Genie as spares for the new opener? It's been years since I've looked at the innards of a garage door opener, but would imagine some of the gears might be compatible?

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
You're a good dude. Any chance you can salvage some components from the Genie as spares for the new opener? It's been years since I've looked at the innards of a garage door opener, but would imagine some of the gears might be compatible?

Different brand, different control board. The remotes won't even switch over. Good riddance.

Today I went and dug up that other oak tree and replaced the dead one in my front yard. It's quite a bit bigger diameter and a few feet taller. Damn thing was way wider than my big trailer going down the road.

IMG_3345.jpg

IMG_3346.jpg

IMG_3347.jpg

IMG_3348.jpg

IMG_3349.jpg

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score

Racer47

Doesn't have much to say
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
So would you buy that pressure washer again? I need one and this is not much more money than renting one for a couple days. I don't need it to be powerful enough to tear up concrete, just need to wash the house, shed and driveway.

If you think this one is decent, I'll order the same thing just to avoid shopping, reading reviews, over-analyzing, etc.

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
It's pretty decent and has surprisingly good pressure for an electric. I used the narrowest nozzle tip so I was only able to do a narrow swath but it did a nice job. I had three big gas units available to borrow but I didn't want all that hassle and noise. This was fine for me to take my time and work at my own pace. It will take longer than a gas unit but that was ok with me.

Strengthrehab

forum member
Reaction score
I woukdnt mind picking one up to work a foam cannon when washing my car. Good find.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Gabe

Whippled Coyote
Reaction score
Anything like that to strip an old car?
I'm thinking I wouldn't want to use water, but never done it so not sure

Racer47

Doesn't have much to say
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
thanks skwerl, sounds like this is what i need.

Gabe, if you want to strip rust look into the newer dustless blasting systems. I dont know which is best but water is too heavy it will deform metal. You want air and dry media blasting for paint removal.

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
One minor deal on the pressure washer is that the cleaner dispensers siphon into the water before the pump, so whatever soap you use runs through the pump. Therefore you need to be judicious with your solvent choices so you don't eat up the pump. I wouldn't recommend using bleach in the dispenser, but you really don't need it most of the time.

And I agree with using a dry media with an air blaster for stripping the car.

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
Started working on my front door yesterday. Today I went ahead and pulled it off the hinges because I wasn't getting where I wanted with it still hanging. I sanded, scraped, sanded, filled holes and sanded some more. Then I threw up a piece of 3/4" plywood to secure the opening and not let all the air conditioning out.

Exterior will be a dark burgundy which I think will go well with the green, brown and tan. Interior side will be light brown I think (same as the walls in my bedroom and garage). Trim will be dark brown.

IMG_3356.jpg

IMG_3355.jpg

IMG_3354.jpg

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
3 coats of paint front and back. Of course it's still tacky for a week or two so I still need to touch it up. Got it hung and the new hardware installed. Still need to cut, paint and install the trim inside and out.

IMG_3359.jpg

IMG_3360.jpg

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back