S197 Team Member
Reaction score
EBBdvmt.jpg

whats-wrong-with-your-lip-was-born-with-big-gums-11383716.png

Sky Render

Stig's Retarded Cousin
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I have finally decided to go down to just a single set of wheels/tires for both street and autocross. I understand this represents a compromise and will prevent me from being competitive, but anyone who has ever actually seen me drive knows I'm not competitive even with really good tires.
:roflmao:

My reasoning for doing this is multiple:
  • I might be moving to a smaller space where storage is at a premium, so not having to store a second set of wheels is helpful.
  • Both my street and track tires need to be replaced this year; a single set is cheaper than two.
  • I have a lot of stuff going on right now, and my time has been crunched. Always having my car "ready to go" for an autocross means I can just go to an event when one is coming up without having to say "Shit, I have an autocross tomorrow, I need to get out to the garage and swap my wheels!"

So I placed an order from Tire Rack for a set of Hankook Ventus RS-4 in 295/40R18. They're on backorder and are supposed to show up in mid April. I'll be using my 18x10 Forgestar wheels now for both street and track.

I also ordered a new set of 4 Motorcraft TPMS sensors. My current ones are ~7 years old and will probably need to be replaced soon, anyway, so I'll do everything at once to save time and money.

My 18x8 TSW Nurburgring wheels will be going up for sale soon. They're in fair condition. PM me if you're interested in buying them.

mrfatride

Reaction score
Curious as to why you decided on the 295/40 size. From the specs it looks like those tires are quite wide for a 10" wheel.

Sky Render

Stig's Retarded Cousin
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I went with the widest tire I could get for a 10" wheel that still had a diameter of around 27". The tread width on a 10" wheel maxes out at around a 285 (which is not available in the RS-4), so I went with the 295.

Sky Render

Stig's Retarded Cousin
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Tire Rack just called me to make sure 295s would fit on my car, since they're not OEM; I told them I'm running 18x10s on all 4 corners. (That's good customer service.)

But they also said that the tires are actually a special order and won't be in until mid-May.

Gabe

Whippled Coyote
Reaction score
I've seriously considered those tires in that exact size for a certain set of 18x10 wheels I have gathering dust in the basement.
I've seen that size on 10"-wide wheels and they fit well, no serious bulging or anything ... plus I've had people that autocross in that size tell me that they work great on 18x10's.
Looking forward to seeing them on the car!

Pentalab

forum member
Reaction score
A 295-40-18 wants to see a 10.5" rim. On the front, they should really be on a 11.0" rim.
With a 10" rim, esp on the fronts, they may well feel a little sluggish /rubbery /un-responsive.

I tried 275-40-18 on 9" front rims..and didn't like the sluggishness. Then swapped to a 10"
front rim, huge improvement. IE: went from 1/2" below measuring width to 1/2" above measuring width.

You will still end up with a lot of tread width on the ground, so it will still work. You have to compromise somewhere.
Your tire height will end up aprx 27.29, that's close enough to oem 27.25" .

Sky Render

Stig's Retarded Cousin
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I've seriously considered those tires in that exact size for a certain set of 18x10 wheels I have gathering dust in the basement.
I've seen that size on 10"-wide wheels and they fit well, no serious bulging or anything ... plus I've had people that autocross in that size tell me that they work great on 18x10's.
Looking forward to seeing them on the car!

I hear the guy you bought them from is a schmuck.

Sky Render

Stig's Retarded Cousin
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
My tires shipped today; 3 are coming from Indiana and the fourth from Delaware. According to Tire Rack, I got the last four RS-4s in that size in the country.

Gabe

Whippled Coyote
Reaction score
You should probably check the build date on those things when you get them.
Gonna be funny if one's built 2 years apart from the others, lol

Strengthrehab

forum member
Reaction score
Yep, 4 month backorder per Hankook. I canceled my order and went with 305/35/18 NT01s

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Sky Render

Stig's Retarded Cousin
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
vtacx3Y.jpg

No issues with rubbing, and they make the car look like a dang Continental Tire Challenge competitor.

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back