Sky Render's Build Thread

Gabe

Whippled Coyote
Reaction score
vtacx3Y.jpg

No issues with rubbing, and they make the car look like a dang Continental Tire Challenge competitor.

That looks awesome!!
What's the offset on those wheels and are they different concaveness front-to-rear?

Strengthrehab

forum member
Reaction score
Looks great. I will be mounting mine on Fri/Saturday. I have to swap out my hubs with extended studs on the front to use my 25mm spacer. The NT01 on 18x11 are a full 12 inches from between shoulders.

Sky Render

Stig's Retarded Cousin
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
That looks awesome!!
What's the offset on those wheels and are they different concaveness front-to-rear?

Thanks! They're the custom 18x10 Forgestars from Vorshlag. Same offset/concaveness from front to rear, but I don't know the exact numbers.

That really looks good. How does it feel with the larger front tire?

I notice a definite increased weight to the steering from the increased scrub radius.

Looks great. I will be mounting mine on Fri/Saturday. I have to swap out my hubs with extended studs on the front to use my 25mm spacer. The NT01 on 18x11 are a full 12 inches from between shoulders.

These things are 295s; mounted on a 18x10 they're just under a foot wide. :O No rubbing issues that I can tell.

They still have the mold release on them. Drove them 30 miles to work to get that crap off; I'll test them out on an on-ramp tonight.:driver:

Strengthrehab

forum member
Reaction score
I'm sure most people know this but can't compare two tires with the same "numbers" because a Nitto 285/35 may be different than a Firestone 285/35.

My 275/40/18 BFG Comp 2 tires are about 0.75 inches wider than my 285/35/19 Firestone Indy500's on my street setup.

Sky Render

Stig's Retarded Cousin
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
After finally getting to run an autocross with the new RS-4s, I must say I am very impressed with them. The RE-71R may have a bit more absolute grip, but on any day that's warmer than 50°F out, you'd get one good run, and then the tires would be overheated and greasy no matter how much water you sprayed on them between runs. They also heat-cycled out very quickly.

The RS-4s, on the other hand, are more of a track day tire than an autocross one, so they seemed to like heat a lot more (or maybe they just take longer to heat up). A big, heavy, powerful muscle car puts lots of heat into the tires: I found that the RS-4s felt consistently stickier after each run.

I think the RE-71R is a good choice for light cars like Miatas and Elises and maybe for for nationally-competitive CAM cars that have the budget to go through 2 or 3 sets a season.

It's a shame these Hankooks are on national backorder, because I highly recommend them. They're surprisingly docile on the street, as well. I've noticed very little tramlining, only slightly increased noise over most street tires (the RE-71R sounded like 35" mudders), and the ride quality is surprisingly good.

kcbrown

forum member
Reaction score
The RS-4 sounds a lot like the RE-11. I’m really annoyed that Bridgestone discontinued them without providing a proper replacement. As you found through your experience, the RE-71 is NOT a proper replacement. Not even close.

Maybe the fact that the Hankooks are on backorder will cause Bridgestone to wake up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Strengthrehab

forum member
Reaction score
Everyone I know who tracks the RS4 absolutely loves it. I wish I could have got some, but the NT01 is pretty damn good, too.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Sky Render

Stig's Retarded Cousin
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
My front sway bar is clunking again. I love how BMR's huge 1.5" bar performs, but I have had a ridiculous time keeping this thing quiet. And, of course, this happens right when I'm in the middle of starting a new job and moving.

So, I'm going to try one last thing: their billet bushing saddle. I've also got a new set of end links I'll throw on while I'm under there, too.

Guess I'll just order it and hope I'll have a couple hours available to put it on in the next month or so. I suppose I could always take it to JPC since I'll be living like 15 minutes from them now. :p

Sky Render

Stig's Retarded Cousin
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
My theory is that the extreme stiffness of their 1.5" bar is too much for the bent sheet metal brackets that hold the bushings. Over time, the brackets flex, allowing the bushings to deform and flex. That's why I'm hoping the billet brackets will fix this once and for all, because they should be a couple orders of magnitude more rigid.

Norm, I don't have a picture, but last time I was under there I noticed the bushings looked like they went oblong again.

Sky Render

Stig's Retarded Cousin
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
We have successfully moved into our (tiny) house in Laurel. It's only temporary until we buy a house sometime next year (we hope).

Mrs. Sky Render bought a something called "Cricut" that makes vinyl stuff and made this for the Mustang:

UTd4s2P.jpg

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back