Sliding Glass door in Basement ?s.

SStang

forum member
Reaction score
I'm looking at a house that has a sliding glass door in the basement. I've never seen this before, the house was built in 1965. I'm thinking that someone cut the wall at some point, for the sliding glass door. My concern is, there is No Header running across for the top sill plate. Is this common, and done the correct way?

Thanks.

Captainstr8edge

Hardcore Superhero
Reaction score
so the bottom of the basement is level with the ground i'm assuming? There are plenty of houses here in New England that have sliding glass doors in the basement/bottom floor. Take a pic so we have a better idea of what you are talking about.

SStang

forum member
Reaction score
Yes, well the back yard has a slope to it. I'm in Ohio, and never seen one. Just a little concerned there is no added support for the sill plate, and floor joist.

Thanks.

Captainstr8edge

Hardcore Superhero
Reaction score
Yes, well the back yard has a slope to it. I'm in Ohio, and never seen one. Just a little concerned there is no added support for the sill plate, and floor joist.

Thanks.

well, what would be there if the door wasn't there? studs? I would guess that there is more than one stud on each side of the door and running along the top of it like you would for a window. I wouldn't worry too much about it, but if you go through with the purchase make sure you do what Beast said and get an inspector to take a look.

this is pretty standard and shows you how its supported.

1135742tx.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I've seen lots of homes with such a set up. Cannot attest to when they were put in or how. I have at least 3 friends with such a set up.

SGTguy

forum member
Reaction score
Look newer the 1965, beams would have been solid not engineer type, construction look ok to me.

RetiredSFC 97

Reaction score
How do you know there is no header? Is it open and not finished?

Now then one must also realize how a basement is built. The bottom sill plate, of the house, will be running the entire length of the basement, so in reality, that is your header. There is nothing else to really support.

retfr8flyr

The Old One
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
It's commonly called a walk out basement. It's a very normal building procedure and I wouldn't worry about it, if you like the house.

Earl

XJCasper

forum member
Reaction score
Closer to my area, many houses with basement type garages are converted to living space that have doors similar to that. Some have standard doors and windows added

I would convert it to some sort of garage.

DDTCM

Dan
Reaction score
It's pretty normal on the houses up north. I've never seen one here in TX because of the lack of basements though. I would be worried that someone would smash that thing out in the middle of the night. I had bars on my back windows and the sliding glass door of the first home I ever bought.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back