Speedometer Malfunction.

OLD 96

Reaction score
Went to drive across town to post office. Noticed speedometer not working. Then it started working. But. Only registered 30 mph at 2000 rpm in 5th gear. Came out of post office and it started working normally. On the way home it quit a couple of times then would work again. Sometimes normal other times low mph reading? Everything else works fine. I'm hoping it is the vehicle speed sensor. I noticed when I start up the needle came up to zero when working properly. When not it stayed "bottomed out". Has any one else experienced this? 2008 GT. 74,000 miles. Thanks.

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Sounds like the stepper motor. There have been threads in this issue if u search.

Dino Dino Bambino

I have a red car
Reaction score
Yup, more than likely a faulty gauge stepper motor. It's a common problem on 05-09 Mustangs and the solution is to replace all of the original stepper motors with the new x27 units that you can buy in eBay.
It's a fairly easy job to do as long as you have patience and decent soldering skills. I replaced all six in my gauge cluster about four years ago with no problems at all.

OLD 96

Reaction score
Yup. All of you are correct. I went out of town right after my post. My friend has a muffler shop we put it up on the lift and replaced the speed sensor. Easiest to do. 50/50 crap shoot. I always crap out. No bueno. So. Need to do what DDB says. Replace them all with the x27 units. Thanks to all for your knowledgeable advice.

OLD 96

Reaction score
Another question or two.. Is one brand recommended above the others? Most seem to be sold in 4's. Will they work on all six gauges. I mean are speedo and tach motor the same as oil, battery, heat, amp gauges. Pardon my ignorance. Thanks.

Dino Dino Bambino

I have a red car
Reaction score
Another question or two.. Is one brand recommended above the others? Most seem to be sold in 4's. Will they work on all six gauges. I mean are speedo and tach motor the same as oil, battery, heat, amp gauges. Pardon my ignorance. Thanks.

Yeah they're all exactly the same. Just buy a pack of four or six depending on how many gauges you have.
I suggest you replace them all in one go to save yourself further headaches.

OLD 96

Reaction score
Well. Just got around to ordering a group of 7 steppers off ebay and a soldering iron kit with the sucker from Amazon small enough to do the job. My iron is too big. Now. All I need is some motivation. Too many projects. Plus its hot as hell here in Texas.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back