Spindle/hub and rotor clearance.

Reaction score
Does anybody know if different spindles were used on early S197’s? I was installing Wilwood big brake kit on my 05 GT and this happened.

That is not a stock tie rod end, but the rotor is a hair under a 1/4” away from body of spindle. This is what stock looks like.
Wilwood C/S is working on a solution, but as I was doing some research, I found this on the AM site in the customer reviews.
All other reviews say the fitment was good. Wilwood says they are not aware of any problems and no special mention of fitment problems other than clearances with calipers. We have confirmed all the correct parts we’re shipped.

I don't have the Wildwood brakes but I did upgrade my front brakes to S550 calipers/rotors on a 2006 car. The three other people I know who've done this had to use a a 1/8" thick washer between the caliper and spindle to maintain proper spacing for the rotor. When I used the washer, my rotors would rub on the caliper. No washer, no problems. I've often wondered if maybe Ford had different suppliers for some parts on our cars during those years.

Laga

Reaction score
Update. Today I received the new hats, brackets, and bolts to attach hats to rotors. Wilwood shipped these parts for free. I did a quick trial fit and the new parts will work. While the rotors no longer touch the tie end rods, they are about 1/8” from the rubber boot of the Moog tie end rod. I feel this is not enough clearance and the boot will melt over time. I had ordered bump steer kit from AM just in case, and it arrived today also. This will provide plenty of clearance without damaging anything over time.

I've often wondered if maybe Ford had different suppliers for some parts on our cars during those years.
I think you’re right. There are definitely variations in the early models out there.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back