Spring Rates?

GRAYPNY

Rich
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know the spring rates for these and other shocks that I haven't listed? Front and rear ~

Steeda Utralite
Steeda Sport
Vogtland GT
Roush - not extreme
Saleen
Eibach
Ford Racing

Reaction score
Does anyone know the spring rates for these and other shocks that I haven't listed? Front and rear ~

Steeda Utralite
Steeda Sport
Vogtland GT
Roush - not extreme
Saleen
Eibach
Ford Racing

I'm almost 100% sure Eibach are the same as Ford Racing. I think eibach makes the springs for a few listed up there in the OP, but to various specs.

I found this after a quick search:
Spring Rates

Last edited:

GRAYPNY

Rich
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
OK here is my question based on the info I read from the link.

The Vogtland springs are:
variable front 160-240lb/in and variable rear 120-220lb/in

The Steeda Ultralite:
front 195lb/in and rear 175lb/in

Which springs are softer?

Sam Strano

forum member
Reaction score
Answer: Neither. They are very much the same. Ultralites are in fact not linear springs (I have sets sitting right here) and cannot be rated as such. That's some cool marketing and the "rates" are basically just averaged out. It's spin, and effectively the springs Vogtlands and Ultralites are pretty much the same (Vogtland even makes Ultralites for Steeda).

If you want softer springs, you want Steeda Sports, not Ultralites. I really wish you'd trust me on this one. I think we've been over this. :)

GRAYPNY

Rich
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I trust you Sam but asking questions and getting other people's opinion is a good thing in my book. I don't know much about this stuff and this board offers a wealth of information.

I always appreciate your opinion and advice.

Sam Strano

forum member
Reaction score
I hate to say this, but what kind of information were you expecting? I have the springs, deal with both companies, have held both, know how they are wound. I'm not asking you only take my opinion, but let's say someone else disagrees. Fine, but based on what?

Look average the rates of Vogtland springs and see what you come up with. The fact that folks think they are softer than Steeda Sports is laughable to me, and one of those internet tales I'm always having to explain when it's just not right. Sorry if I seem frustrated.

Pony DNA

grease monkey
Reaction score
I hate to say this, but what kind of information were you expecting? I have the springs, deal with both companies, have held both, know how they are wound. I'm not asking you only take my opinion, but let's say someone else disagrees. Fine, but based on what?

Look average the rates of Vogtland springs and see what you come up with. The fact that folks think they are softer than Steeda Sports is laughable to me, and one of those internet tales I'm always having to explain when it's just not right. Sorry if I seem frustrated.

Hi Sam,

Unless Steeda has changed their spring vendor and specs the numbers I posted for Steeda Ultralights should still be correct. At the time of my testing and measurment I had a set of these and several other springs in my possision. This was some time ago, just after Steeda released the Ultralight springs, multiple sources at Steeda told me the springs were made by Hyperco the same company that winds their other springs and the source of their coilover springs.

All springs were tested the same way using properly setup fixtures in the spring load cell ensuring that the springs were all loaded squarely in the load cell fixture. The springs were tested at zero load and the the O.A.L. (over all length) was noted. Then measurements were taken at 1" intervals until the springs were 90% compressed. The springs were then released and rotated 45 degress and retested to confirm the rates.

It does not matter one wit what the spring design looks like. What matters is how they work under load. Based on how much force is required to compressed the spring some unit of measure if a spring takes the same additional amount of force to compress the same amount each time through out its range of compression it is by definition a linear rate spring. Not all springs are very consistent but these were pretty good being in the range of about 2%-3%.

HTH!

Kevinmach1

Major Member
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Dampeners will affect the ride also. I had a very harsh ride with my frpp lowering springs and gt500 dampeners. I switched to monroe sensatrac dampeners, and wow, what a difference. Actually the suspension "moves" now.

stiff springs and stiff dampeners will yield kidney pain...LOL

Sam Strano

forum member
Reaction score
Hi Sam,

Unless Steeda has changed their spring vendor and specs the numbers I posted for Steeda Ultralights should still be correct. At the time of my testing and measurment I had a set of these and several other springs in my possision. This was some time ago, just after Steeda released the Ultralight springs, multiple sources at Steeda told me the springs were made by Hyperco the same company that winds their other springs and the source of their coilover springs.

All springs were tested the same way using properly setup fixtures in the spring load cell ensuring that the springs were all loaded squarely in the load cell fixture. The springs were tested at zero load and the the O.A.L. (over all length) was noted. Then measurements were taken at 1" intervals until the springs were 90% compressed. The springs were then released and rotated 45 degress and retested to confirm the rates.

It does not matter one wit what the spring design looks like. What matters is how they work under load. Based on how much force is required to compressed the spring some unit of measure if a spring takes the same additional amount of force to compress the same amount each time through out its range of compression it is by definition a linear rate spring. Not all springs are very consistent but these were pretty good being in the range of about 2%-3%.

HTH!

I'm not here to agrue. But I have the springs in my hands all the time. They are most certainly not linear top to bottom. That's fine because even progressives are mostly linear working rate springs anyway.

Hypercoil does make springs for Steeda, but not all of them. In fact some of their springs are made by different vendors. Most don't know it but there are two different versions of Sport springs (I know this because again, I've had them both in hand, and side by side). I also know who makes those too.

In fact Steeda has springs made by 3 different companies.....

I deal with one of them extensively. I know their numbering system. I know their material. Didn't take me more than about 3 seconds to figure it out. At which point I did some more digging instead of relying on their word. I am a Steeda WD, and the parts are very good--but details aren't their strong suit. FWIW, I'm not being contrary (or at least trying to be). For example I've also found the Comp springs to be exactly what was stated, as well as one of the sets of the Sport springs. The other Sport springs have the same linear working rates, but are progressively wound to have what amounts to a take up or tender spring built in. Both function the same way.

I'm not a fan of dynamically progressive springs, but none of the springs I've seen for this car are dynamically progressive one the weight of the car is resting upon them. They all have what amount to the built in tender springs. Back to my original point: Most of us know that if you have a lower spring, you want more rate to compensate. But then everyone is ok with accepting data that shows Ultralites as softer and lower than Sports which is just not correct. Drive a set of each back to back and it's obvious which are firmer. Anyway, the point here is simple... Rich asked how different are the Vogtland's he has vs. Ultralites. I stand by the my statement that they are not much different at all, and it he wants a more compliant ride (and I know he does having spoke to him) then I'd recommend a set of Steeda Sports instead.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back