Squeaking!!! Help! Belt? Tensioner? What is it?!

white05gt

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I agree, by time you buy the Thumprrr and an 8 rib setup you are well on your way to the price of the dedicated system.

MLC40

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Late to the party but my belt would squeak and changing it would solve the problem. I was using the green HD belts but racing would eventually stretch them. I am so happy I have the ST direct drive system now.

Lee's05GT

Formally Qksixx
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
well my squeaking came back yesterday! Im going to go to napa in a little bit and buy another belt, dont know what else to do, so we will see how it goes.

Lupo222

forum member
Reaction score
well my squeaking came back yesterday! Im going to go to napa in a little bit and buy another belt, dont know what else to do, so we will see how it goes.

Lee, are you running a 90mm idler pulley at the base of alternator bracket? or are you running a 76? If its a 90, switch it out for a 76 and you'll be good. My belt was eating away at the metal bracket and causing the squeaks no matter what I did!!

Last edited:

Lee's05GT

Formally Qksixx
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
My 76 is below the alt. My 90 I believe is on the passenger side

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

nycmikie1

forum member
Reaction score
Like 94Tbird I had many belt issues as for a 6 rib trash it and go 8 rib a long story short I had a KB 2.6H Had nothing but belt issues was on here trying to work out my problem at the time I had a 07 GT 3v 94Tbird was a big help but I wanted to know why this was a problem I bought a Gates belt laser start checking all my stock 6 rib pulleys and find my Crank to A/C is off by 1 full rib and they are a very short distance you can not move the A/C unit is has 3 bolts and a dowel for alignment so I go to Ford buy a stock 8 rib set-up check that now only off crank to A/C 1/2 a rib install some Thumper R idlers and tensioner thanks to Ron with all his issues made me buy them LOL and DONE install a Gates Green Belt no more issues no more chirping belt!10 psi Stock engine headers,gears 11.40s to 11.60s ETs

Last edited:

MountainMichael

forum member
Reaction score
Old thread, I know. Thought I'd add something in case someone else is getting mislead like my car was misleading me...

My whippled 06 developed the squeaking and chirping just like in the videos. It was intermittent just for fun and mech stethoscope localized it to where I woulda' sworn it was coming from the Thumprrr tensioner. But it wasn't.

It was the bearings just beginning to fail (again) in the small Whipple idler on the adjustable slide.

Pressed in some new bearings, quiet as can be. Same belt, same everything else as before.

I recognize this won't be the cause for all with these noises. It's just what I found on my car and thought I should add it to the list of possible causes.

Since my car fails so many bearings in that idler, it'll be where I'll look first next time even if the stethoscope seems to be localizing the noise to the tensioner. Not sure why the sound was being "referred" or whatever over there, but it was sure misleading.

Mick

one.wicked.stang

Grudge Race?
Reaction score
the green belt isn't sao bad by any means. I, personally, love it, and the fact that i never have to worry about it is nice as well. not the greatest pic in the world, but here it is

DSCN0478.jpg

No the green doesn't wear off, at least it hasn't on mine yet.

The belts stretch fast and once stretched they will never get back to size again. by the time winter rolls around the damage is done. You can either replace the belt whenever the squeaks return, or bit he bullet and go green. tell people it saves gas and thats how you choose to go green, lol

What pulley is that just above the oil filter, Im using a Gates 38052 and have to press out the bearing a little, would ike to use a pulley I dont have to do that too. Car has been converted to an 8 rib. Thanks!

TexasBlownV8

Formerly TexasBlownV6
Reaction score
I'm using the same setup as in the pic, 122.3" belt with the KB.
The 2 idler pulleys on the driver side (above the filter) are 76mm flat idlers.
The belt routes a little differently than stock, i.e. it runs over that flat idler instead of underneath a ribbed idler.

b00stedgt

Reaction score
I recently developed the squeak and thought I narrowed it down to the thumprrr tensioner. As stated in the above post, I will most likey try replacing the sliding idler. Where did you get the bearing? Should I just replace the whole sliding idler?

crownaviation

http://www.tudyno.com/
Reaction score
I should have some custom ceramic bearings to test in a couple weeks if anyone is interested. My 8 rib setup includes an Overdrive Balancer and from 67 to 76mm idlers. The shitty china bearings do not last. I got those in the last thump idlers I purchased. The extra tension with SC tensioners does not help either.

I will keep you guys posted on how the ceramics work.

94tbird

4R70W FTMFW
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
What pulley is that just above the oil filter, Im using a Gates 38052 and have to press out the bearing a little, would ike to use a pulley I dont have to do that too. Car has been converted to an 8 rib. Thanks!

76MM Thump_RRR pulley

94tbird

4R70W FTMFW
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Pic for reference to pulley I am asking about..
i answered you above since its my car 76mm smooth idler thumprrr pulley.

And if your gettign a squeak with the belt at cold startup or between shifts, you have a slight and i mean slight misalignment somewhere, about an 1/8 to a 1/16 misalignment. Most likely the power steering or supercharger pulley.

b00stedgt

Reaction score
I could swear mine is coming from my thump rrr tensioner but I am going to try and replace the sliding idler first as suggested above. Hopefully i can get rid of this because it is very annoying.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back