Stainless Steel Headers Temp

luillo

forum member
Reaction score
So i was about to finish an order with Jet-Hot for my 1-7/8" long tubes coating on their classic 1300 polish finish but the rep kept trying to sell me their 2500 ultra heat coating with the selling point that my car is forced induction and that coating was more appropriate.

That coating is extremely expensive and i don't think is totally necessary for a weekend driver or occasional drag events. I don't think any supercharged car will get anywhere near 900 degrees even in 92 deg outside temp street driven. I may see that on a road race car but that's only maybe unless i am wrong.

What temps are you guys see in your cars for the exhaust? what is the average? I told the rep i will drive the car hard this weekend and take temp check with my infrared temp gun to verify.

eighty6gt

forum member
Reaction score
buy once cry once

I have whatever JBA puts on from the factory, it is holding up great on my boosted 3v.

Pentalab

forum member
Reaction score
I have JBA coated LT's...and JBA hi flow catted H. The 8 x primary's are the coolest (lowest temp) thing under the hood. After having the blower on....on main drag 2 blocks from home. Get in driveway, lift hood, and everything is hot, take ur fingerprints off...... except for the 8 x primaries. I can push down hard on any of em, with 4 fingers, and hold em there. ( hot summer day).

My theory is, since the LT's are coated both inside and out, the internal exhaust temps are higher. The hotter the internal exhaust temps, the faster the exhaust gases will flow...which I believe is a big part of the effect I'm seeing from the LT's. They were a night and day difference. Blatantly obvious.
2010 auto. Roush M90, 5.8 psi boost, 94 tune, FRPP twin 62mm TB, DSS-DS.

My aeroforce digital gauges indicate exhaust temps ( measured at rear O2 sensors)... as high as 1900 F, when at WOT....( total bs imo). JBA offered the ceramic coatings in 'silver ceramic'.... or 'titanium ceramic'. I opted for the titanium version, which is good for another 100 deg F. The finish was battleship grey.

luillo

forum member
Reaction score
buy once cry once

I have whatever JBA puts on from the factory, it is holding up great on my boosted 3v.

Yeah, like i said i had a set of ARH 1-3/4 Jet-Hot coated Classic Polish in 2011 and i sold those now in 2020; they still looked like new. No issues with them at all. I will ride my car and check manifold temperatures. Maybe do a few back to back hard pulls and ride the car a little hard to create heat and check them. If the temperature stays below 900, i will just get the classic polish which i preferer for looks. I think if those manifolds get 900 deg high or higher, there is a problem in my opinion, but i have never pay attention to that before.

GlassTop09

Reaction score
So i was about to finish an order with Jet-Hot for my 1-7/8" long tubes coating on their classic 1300 polish finish but the rep kept trying to sell me their 2500 ultra heat coating with the selling point that my car is forced induction and that coating was more appropriate.

That coating is extremely expensive and i don't think is totally necessary for a weekend driver or occasional drag events. I don't think any supercharged car will get anywhere near 900 degrees even in 92 deg outside temp street driven. I may see that on a road race car but that's only maybe unless i am wrong.

What temps are you guys see in your cars for the exhaust? what is the average? I told the rep i will drive the car hard this weekend and take temp check with my infrared temp gun to verify.
Hi luillo,
I have seen the exhaust temps recorded thru Mode 6 Cat Mid Bed Temp to run around 1,012*F @ idle speed (750 RPM’s) to as high as 1,350*F-1,425*F at speed (45-57 MPH @ 1,857-1,989 RPM’s) on my 4.6L FBO/cammed NA 3V (running Kooks 1 5/8” LTH’s/Catted X-Pipe). This is from just ordinary street driving......

I would tend to agree w/ eighty6gt in addition to the degree of installation effort of LTH’s.....my 2 cents.

07 Boss

Reaction score
Normally exhaust gas temps will be below 1000* but you may experience up to over 2000* during hard driving. If it's a daily that you just putz around town in the standard coating would be fine. If you like to get on it then I would recommend the higher temp coating. When we used to compare individual cylinder exhaust gas temps to see if the cylinders were running evenly, we would temp the headers anywhere between 1200*-1300*.

luillo

forum member
Reaction score
Normally exhaust gas temps will be below 1000* but you may experience up to over 2000* during hard driving. If it's a daily that you just putz around town in the standard coating would be fine. If you like to get on it then I would recommend the higher temp coating. When we used to compare individual cylinder exhaust gas temps to see if the cylinders were running evenly, we would temp the headers anywhere between 1200*-1300*.

Yeah, this a weekend driven car. I drive for 2-3 hour tops or go to Pensacola which is about 50 min drive, just coasting. If some contender shows up on the road I might do a pull or two. Those are barely 2-3 shifts and is over back to coast. Once I get the heads swapped that will be another story. I plan to drag the car often and if the engine comes out, the. I’ll do the higher coating for sure

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

luillo

forum member
Reaction score
I just did a 2 hour ritual drive around Fort Walton Beach. Not a hard drive but steady 2K minimal rpms and a few pulls around 4K. As soon as I parked the car I put the infrared thermometer and never saw anything past 402 degrees Fahrenheit. That was right against the exhaust port in the headers. I sent the long tubes for the 2500 coating but not sure is needed with my driving.

eighty6gt

forum member
Reaction score
Go wot in 4th to redline then stop quickly and do the same thing.

luillo

forum member
Reaction score
Go wot in 4th to redline then stop quickly and do the same thing.

I might be able to do that at the 1/4 mile track but not in the street with this 3.31 and TR6060. That’s some high speeds.

The only track I have close by is 1/8 mile. With sticky tires I might hit 3 gear heavy but that’s it.

jam07GT

forum member
Reaction score
I have BBK long tube, coated headers. They greatly reduced under hood temps. Before I had them when you stood next to the front wheel you could feel the heat just pouring out from under the car. Once I put them on, that stopped.

They are 1 5/8 ceramic coated. $599.00

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back