Stance unexpectedly HIGHER after strut and spring install!

06Torch

forum member
Reaction score
After 80K miles on the OEM struts it was time for replacements. I bought some used Saleen N2s from a member here. The plan was to use them with a pair of Bullitt springs I've had for a couple years now. From what I've read, they lower the car 3/4" with the ride being slightly firmer than stock.

The install went better than expected with no issues. A far cry from the Fox installs of yesteryear to be sure... Anyway, both the N2 struts and OEM strut were identical in terms of overall height, shaft extension, mounting positions, etc... I removed the old struts, swapped out the top rubbber isolators, assembled the N2s along with the Bullitt springs. The N2 seller threw in some camber bolts so I used those.

I lowered the car and wha-la, the damn thing sat 2 inches heigher! :omfg: WTF??? The front sits higher than the rear now. To my amazement, the alignment guy said the car's camber was dead on. He said he would have never guessed someone installed "new" parts. The car did have a slight toe-in on the passenger's side.

So, what the Hell happened? Where did I go wrong? Are N2s supposed to be used with lowering springs? Or, can they be used with OEM springs??
Thanks all,

Gerardo

Last edited:

05stroker

Never enough power guy!
Reaction score
Are you sure you didn't turn the rubber isolators differently then they where on the stock struts?

06Torch

forum member
Reaction score
Are you sure you didn't turn the rubber isolators differently then they where on the stock struts?

I can't imagine that happening since there was a flat and angled side. One facing the spring and the other strut mounts. I took them off and made them click when I installed them. As a side note, I did notice that the car is nearly level since last night. I'll ride them for a week and see what happens. Thanks for all the replies guys!

Gerardo

fdjizm

Drag Queen
Reaction score
When i put the bullitt springs in, they were higher at first then they settled in nice where they were supposed to.

06Torch

forum member
Reaction score
When i put the bullitt springs in, they were higher at first then they settled in nice where they were supposed to.

8 days and 600 miles later and I have not seen an inch of improvement (no pun intended). How long did it take for things to settle?

If no change in another week, I think I'll start shopping for lowering springs. Any recommendations for a 1" drop?
Thanks all,

Gerardo

06Torch

forum member
Reaction score
Steeda sports have a very good reputation. I went ultralights since I wanted more low haha.

Yeah, all of Steeda's stuff is quality.

I'm limited to a 1" drop as my driveway has a ridiculous incline. I think the FRPP will do the job.

Gerardo

DDTCM

Dan
Reaction score
I have the FRPP K's (1.5) and its sits nice. If 1" is all you want then the P's will be just fine. FYI, I never scrape anything with the K's.

06Torch

forum member
Reaction score
Unresolved Stance

So I'm still trying to figure out what went wrong. I'm looking in some spring/strut/strut mount threads and stuble across this...

I would buy a set of GT500 strut mounts, point the arrow inward and stay within alighnment specs.
http://www.s197forum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=108931&highlight=LOWERING+SPRINGS
If you're trying to be cost effective, you could go without new strut mounts, but at 80k I'd just replace them. Either with the stock or GT500's, you can turn the arrow inward like what 07TGGT had mentioned.

I went on youtube before I did the swap. I pointed the arrow "out" as the vids said. Was I suppose to turn "it"? Could they be GT500 strut mounts and not GTs? Is there a noticable difference in thickness? I guess I just need to know before I place an order for new coils.
Thanks guys!

Gerardo

GallopingFord

I'm Cam - Mr. Indecisive
Reaction score
You point the arrows in for stock factory specs. You point them out if you want to gain some additional camber without the use of camber bolts.

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back